How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-28-2003, 12:37 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Dealer Tax Problem

I had a friend who bought a Jeep from a place and traded in his old car. The place went out of business w/o paying off his old car (which they now had). He was stuck with paying that off too! Granted he got the title but he didn't have the car anymore. Dealers are required by the state to be bonded for such things. CALL your state's Attorney General and report the money thing to them (whatever you are out right now). I know that in Flordia he said that the bond was only $50k and that when that's gone its gone. First come, first serve. Good luck!
Old 01-28-2003, 01:02 PM

Sorry to here about that Mitch.
Old 01-28-2003, 03:53 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Re: Dealer Tax Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
Dealers are required by the state to be bonded for such things. I know that in Flordia he said that the bond was only $50k and that when that's gone its gone. First come, first serve. Good luck!
In Texas, used car dealers must be bonded, but franchised dealers don't (how's that for testimony to the political clout of new car dealers?).

The bond is only $25,000. It doesn't take too many customers to exhaust that in a hurry.

Take benebob's advice and MOVE FAST!!!! In some states you first have to go to small claims court and get a judgement against the dealer, then present the judgement to the bonding company that wrote the bond.

Good luck, Mitch, I feel for you.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 02-01-2003, 04:21 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Talking Had some good news this afternoon

I went by the dealership in a desperate attempt for more information. There was a crew cleaning the promotional tents and banners out.. I saw 3 cars in a group around one guy who was obviously explaining things right and left. So I pulled over and stood in the back of the small crowd, and listened for a few minutes. He is the owner of the company that rented the tents and Inflatable objects (gorillas and such) to the various dealerships in town. Turns out he was the one that owned my car... He had sold it to the lot about a month ago.... and was paid for it... so the car will be mine... he even had a second remote and valet key.. Went over to his office to get the remote and key. He told me that the dealership had been in trouble for a couple of months and that the owner was looking at some jail time..... So... looks like I may have to pay emission and license but title should be ok.. as the previous owner said that he was paid for the car.... whew!
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 02-02-2003, 07:32 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Re: Had some good news this afternoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncamitzi
I went by the dealership in a desperate attempt for more information. There was a crew cleaning the promotional tents and banners out.. I saw 3 cars in a group around one guy who was obviously explaining things right and left. So I pulled over and stood in the back of the small crowd, and listened for a few minutes. He is the owner of the company that rented the tents and Inflatable objects (gorillas and such) to the various dealerships in town. Turns out he was the one that owned my car... He had sold it to the lot about a month ago.... and was paid for it... so the car will be mine... he even had a second remote and valet key.. Went over to his office to get the remote and key. He told me that the dealership had been in trouble for a couple of months and that the owner was looking at some jail time..... So... looks like I may have to pay emission and license but title should be ok.. as the previous owner said that he was paid for the car.... whew!
Good for you, Mitch!

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:42 AM

hope all goes well, go get um tiger!

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:14 AM
Alcyone SVX LSL

It is nice to hear all worked out great...
Old 02-03-2003, 06:34 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Car may be yours

Hey Mitch I'd still suggest getting a lawyer or at least speaking to one about your best course of action. Usually its like a bankruptcy. They spit all the assets up between the creditors. GET YOUR NAME ON THAT LIST!
Old 02-03-2003, 09:10 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

re: title

i find it odd that the bank does not have your title. typically, if something either a home or vehicle is financed, the bank holds the title until you pay the bank back the principle plus interest accrued for the loan. also if you financed it at the bank you should have paperwork that shows how much you took the loan out for and from the dealer some paperwork that shows how much you paid for down payment. always read those carefully. (we know how sleezy some car sales are). tag and title aren't very expensive. i think the title costs around 10-15 bucks per change and tag depends on the value of your car. my tag ended up to be like 50 bucks. gl to you.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:04 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Re: re: title

Quote:
Originally posted by Noir
i find it odd that the bank does not have your title. typically, if something either a home or vehicle is financed, the bank holds the title until you pay the bank back the principle plus interest accrued for the loan. also if you financed it at the bank you should have paperwork that shows how much you took the loan out for and from the dealer some paperwork that shows how much you paid for down payment. always read those carefully. (we know how sleezy some car sales are). tag and title aren't very expensive. i think the title costs around 10-15 bucks per change and tag depends on the value of your car. my tag ended up to be like 50 bucks. gl to you.

Harry, because of the type of trasaction the bank only has the application for title transfer from the dealer. The dealer may or may not have actually filed for the transfer.. I'm waiting to hear from both the bank and the tax commision (7-10day before it is assigned to an agent!!! ) as to the actual status... I'm sure (now that I have talked to the orignal owner) my bill of sale and other documents will suffice in getting a title here shortly.... My bank has assured me that I do not have to worry for now... so ..... I won't...

PS... does anyone still have a battery drain problem....? My ABS might be acting up. My alternator also may have problems... I had a new battery on a charger yesterday until it read fully charged... installed it this morning and it started fine... but after a 10 minute drive to the coffee shop (5.00 for a latte???) I needed to use my booster pack to start the car again.... does this sound like a problem that anyone has had before... I've done a search for dead battery but haven't found anything I could relate this problem to yet... (I'll keep looking and then ask the Question in Q&A)
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .