Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-08-2003, 06:06 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

This is a picture of the front right strut with the various parts shown. The top of the strut has been removed to get the parts out.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...muter/5662.JPG

Let me know if this what most other insides look like. In this arrangement when it's all together, the top guide and lip seal mate up metal to metal with the plastic baffle in between them.

During the extension stroke as the fuild moves up it would pass thru the upper bushing guide and past the the baffle. the baffle has slots to let the fluid pass. The ID of the baffle is a lip seal too. So that makes 4 sealing surfaces on the shaft. The slots in the baffle and top guide allow the fluid to fall freely back into the space between the working cylinder and the outside cylinder of the shock. At least that is what I see.

Last edited by svx_commuter; 01-08-2003 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:06 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
This is a picture of the front right strut with the various parts shown. The top of the strut has been removed to get the parts out.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...muter/5662.JPG

Let me know if this what most other insides look like. In this arrangement when it's all together, the top guide and lip seal mate up metal to metal with the plastic baffle in between them.

During the extension stroke as the fuild moves up it would pass thru the upper bushing guide and past the the baffle. the baffle has slots to let the fluid pass. The ID of the baffle is a lip seal too. So that makes 4 sealing surfaces on the shaft. The slots in the baffle and top guide allow the fluid to fall freely back into the space between the working cylinder and the outside cylinder of the shock. At least that is what I see.
Yes that looks normal, the top of the strut is sealed from the outer cylinder. The oil can not flow out the top, into the outer tube. It is forced down through the rebound valve in the piston, to provide rebound damping.

Not a artist but I have done a drawing in paint box of the normal construction. It is in my locker.

If you undo the nut on the footvalve and take it apart you will see the two valves.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 01-09-2003, 04:43 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Hi Harvey and Thanks.

I'll take a closer look at those valves. I didn't see any way to take them apart.

The strut cannot be completely filled with oil or it won't work. Right? There has to be some air (air is gas) in there to allow for the different volumes that correspond to the fully extended or compressed positions.

Hey This is the first time I saw the RH tranny scans. Very different than the USA. Most noticable is that the final drive spline transfer clutches on your car stays in the tranny when the transfer case comes off. On my car the final drive spline and clutch assy comes out with the transfer case. Also that rear planetary set-up.
Old 01-09-2003, 03:24 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
The air is in the outer tube on top of the oil.

The foot valve will push out of the tube, the top valve is the check valve, the shim disks on the bottom side are the bump control valve plates. If you undo the bolt through the middle it will come apart ,you will see the other ports under the plates. It is the bending action of these shim plates that give the amount of bump damping.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.