How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-24-2002, 08:21 PM
Ticallion

any replacement for struts?

I'm looking for a cheap replacement for the driver front strut. Does anyone know a cheap supplier? Best i got is $87 for a single KYB
-Ross
Old 11-25-2002, 01:42 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I thought I had checked them for a listing some time ago, so I looked again. I could be wrong, but this table is from the KYB website catalog:

Manufacturer Part Number Description Price Details
SHOCKS, AXLE DAMPER/KICKER SHOCK
No Parts Found
SHOCKS, BOOTS & ACCESSORIES
No Parts Found
SHOCKS, ECONOMY GAS, FRONT
No Parts Found
SHOCKS, ECONOMY GAS, REAR
No Parts Found
SHOCKS, GAS MIDRANGE, FRONT
No Parts Found
SHOCKS, GAS MIDRANGE, REAR
No Parts Found
SHOCKS, GAS SPECIALTY/PERFORMANCE, FRONT
No Parts Found
SHOCKS, GAS SPECIALTY/PERFORMANCE, REAR
No Parts Found
SHOCKS, MOUNTING KIT
No Parts Found
SHOCKS, OE REPLACEMENT, FRONT
No Parts Found
SHOCKS, OE REPLACEMENT, REAR
No Parts Found
SHOCKS, STRUT CUSHION/MOUNT
No Parts Found
Old 11-25-2002, 01:47 AM
Not as old as Randy

Question BTW

The dealer price isn't much different at $99 per strut. Also, I'd recommend only replacing them in pairs.
Old 11-25-2002, 06:23 AM
Ticallion

Actually, the dealer here priced them out up here in Canada at $933 for the pair, EXCLUDING LABOR.

KYB however does carry them. I searched for them on several sites.

KYB 233022 [GR-2 Gas Struts] Front; Right Hand (2 W/D Sedan & Wagon); Includes Base Listing 87.66
KYB 233022 [GR-2 Gas Struts] Right Hand (2 W/D Sedan & Wagon); Includes Base Listing 87.66

Oh crap, i just noticed, that's 2wd.

nm then... alrighty, then what's the cheapest stock replacement that I can get? 99 is not too bad, but after the exchange, shipping and customs, its gonna be quite a bit.
Old 11-25-2002, 09:34 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally posted by Ticallion
Actually, the dealer here priced them out up here in Canada at $933 for the pair, EXCLUDING LABOR.
$933 without installation???
Good Goddamighty! No offense, but am I ever glad to not live in Canada...

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 11-25-2002, 04:17 PM
Not as old as Randy

Quote:
Originally posted by Ticallion

KYB however does carry them. I searched for them on several sites.

KYB 233022 [GR-2 Gas Struts] Front; Right Hand (2 W/D Sedan & Wagon); Includes Base Listing 87.66
KYB 233022 [GR-2 Gas Struts] Right Hand (2 W/D Sedan & Wagon); Includes Base Listing 87.66

Oh crap, i just noticed, that's 2wd.

nm then... alrighty, then what's the cheapest stock replacement that I can get? 99 is not too bad, but after the exchange, shipping and customs, its gonna be quite a bit.
Did you also happen to notice that the SVX is neither a sedan or wagon?

I did some more checking and the only shocks available in the common aftermarket are made by Maremont/Gabriel. They're sold (usually as special order units) by CarQuest, Pep Boys, et al. I looked on the Triad parts db at work and the list went from $202 - $350 ea., depending on who you buy them from. BTW - no matter who sells them, they all use/have the same part numbers, 341sp through 344sp, depending on postion. My best cost was $150 or so, and considering that they're run-of-the-mill RedRyder shocks I'd easily opt for the Subaru OE units.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:33 AM

shocks/struts

The OEM units are priced between $100 bucks ( usa) to $150.
I think most dealers charge $100.
The Autozone/gabriel shocks are priced at $150 when I checked in to it. THey are ok shocks.. THe company makes several replacement shock for many many parts houses and other brand names.. I would go with OEM shocks.. it is afterall made for the SVX...

Here is an Idea.. I know I have seen a Few dealerships post on the network site offering a Discount for SVX members.
These are Rare and few.
One I do remember was IN GA.
So it's very possible depending on the amount of the discount.
that you could purchase the replacements somewhere between 70$ to 90$ each.. I can't say for sure. List is around 70$..Shhhhh though....

That is a heck of sight better then aftermarket replacments for 150$.......

Also something I remember about the struts was.. there were different part numbers for the front Left and Right on OEM..

It would be wise to replace Both front struts instead of just one.
As this keeps things in balance.

Best of luck.. Shop around, and U will save yourself some cash.
SVX1999
Old 11-26-2002, 09:41 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
I checked the diagrams on subaruparts.com and they show 2 different part numbers for each of the 4 struts - one is twice as much as the other. Does anyone know what this is about?

Also, if one were to replace their struts on a '92, what else should be done? I've heard of upgraded strut mounts, etc. What part numbers are these. Or should I basically just order a new one of everything listed on the suspension page.

Thanks in advance.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 11-26-2002, 03:02 PM

struts and strut mounts

Quote:
Originally posted by MacGyver
I checked the diagrams on subaruparts.com and they show 2 different part numbers for each of the 4 struts - one is twice as much as the other. Does anyone know what this is about?

Also, if one were to replace their struts on a '92, what else should be done? I've heard of upgraded strut mounts, etc. What part numbers are these. Or should I basically just order a new one of everything listed on the suspension page.

Thanks in advance.
Hello,
Yes there is an upgraded Front strut mount. These were upgraded to cure a poping noise as well as, some other oddity.
I have the part number for ALL 4 struts and strut mounts.
I will look up my invoice on the price...
I"m not sure why one set of numbers is twice as much. I don't remember it being that way when I Purchased mine.
I didn't go with Subaruparts.com either... They were always too SLOW.
great site, but slow to process orders. I'm looking at a Print out from Subaru parts.com This is a Mock order....
All struts are listed here as $71.96... I know that's about what I paid for mine..
The strut mounts were to solve a noise problem. So it's up to you on to replace them or not. hope this helps.
SVX1999
Old 11-26-2002, 03:43 PM

BTW

You might have noticed that Each strut is a little bit different..
THere is a Front Left and right
and a Rear left and right.

It is best to replace them in sets of 2 or all 4.. Depending on ones Cash flow.. Since there is an update to the strut mount. you may want to consider replacing that as well. It's a hunk of rubber that rotates on some bearings. the only thing I can think of about the strut that was mentioned as being Twice as much .. It could have been a complete assembly.
WIthout looking at the diagram I can't say much more then that.
hope this helps.
SVX1999
Old 11-28-2002, 10:00 AM

back from the dead

Well yesterday I had both my rear bearings replaced. I had read somewhere that the grease in which they came was to be replaced with a better one so I put some synthetic bearing grease (hope it'll do the job).

I have a question for you guys: before the bearings were replaced, there was a loud "humming" noise in the back due to the worn out bearings that could only be heard at speeds over 50 mph. The reason why I'm pointing this out is in case someone would reply that the reason I hear this new clunking noise is because the old bearing humming was covering it before.

The mecanics who removed the bearings from my car used an impact gun. When I took my car for a road test, the humming was gone BUT the slightest imperfection off the road would resonate in the trunk like it's the end of the world. Do you think that the shocks might have been damaged from the use of the impact gun?

Also, in the eventuality of replacing the rear shocks, can someone provide me with the part numbers? Either aftermarket or OEM will be fine, as long as it comes out under the Canadian OEM retail of 990$ including our 15% tax... that's about 630$US excluding the labor.

Thanx!