Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-02-2014, 03:56 PM

Key jammed in ignition switch

My key is jammed in the ignition switch.
Assuming the key barrel has 4 positions :
Lock
Acc
On
Start

The car was running, I stopped and went to turn the engine off.
The key barrel turned from On to Acc, but won't turn back to Lock.
In normal operation the key barrel needs to be pushed inwards before it will rotate back to the Lock position.
It will still push in ok, but won't rotate back to Lock position.

Before I get a locksmith to disassemble the key barrel, I wonder if there is an electronic interlock of some sort that would prevent the key being turned from Acc position to Lock position.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7473.JPG (695.9 KB, 302 views)
Old 05-02-2014, 09:35 PM

Re: Key jammed in ignition switch

From what I remember (I haven't had the auto transmission in a while) it needs to be in park to remove the key.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:53 PM

It's in Park alright. There is a release button on the transmission that allows me to move out of Park even with the key in the Acc position (this is locked off unless you override it using the button to the right of the transmission lever, USDM might not have this button).
Anyway, I released from Park, ran it down to D and then back up to Park just in case it hadn't properly grabbed Park.
I did all this with the key in the Acc position.

Just to be sure, I've just started the car (in Park), reversed back a bit, put back into Park then key off. Still doing the same thing.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:05 AM

Registered SVX

I bet you have the FSM. If not, pls see attached snap shots

/T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg key interlock.jpg (399.9 KB, 419 views)
File Type: jpg key no release.jpg (342.0 KB, 337 views)
Old 05-03-2014, 08:37 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

Make sure the key barrel pushes in completly. It has to clear a stop that holds it from rotating. I remember something about a small switch/button under the ignition switch you can try. Also try wiggling the wires behind the ignition switch in the column while turning the barrel.

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:25 PM

Registered SVX

Owner's manual section 6-4:

Attached Images
File Type: png svx_m_6_4.png (301.7 KB, 759 views)
Old 05-03-2014, 08:50 PM

Thanks, obviously I would be wise to spend my time on reading the manual.
Valuable lesson learned.

Tried the suggestion. On my car there was no need to remove any panels and I could operate the small metal lever with my finger easily.
It moved ok, but didn't solve the lock problem.

I drove into town today with several stop offs and simply left a black cloth draped over the steering column and left the key in the ignition.
I used the alarm system remote to lock/unlock the doors.
It seemed like a fairly reasonable permanent solution.

However, it does accelerate the plan to install a new alarm, as this alarm is an unknown brand with just one remote, which Murphy's Law says will break at the wrong time.

Thanks

PS - to the passing car thief who reads this forum and fancies pinching my car, don't bother. The alarm has an engine immobiliser. So even with the key in the ignition you won't be able to start it anyway.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:19 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

What's your address again?
Old 05-04-2014, 10:20 AM

Registered SVX

Lift up your emergency brake handle. Remove the plastic cover under it. Look for a black plug. Un plug it and clean it and re plug it. Mine does it once a year.
Sometimes operating the e brake can disturbed it. Try it before surgery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (251.4 KB, 253 views)

Last edited by Conn SVX; 05-05-2014 at 06:10 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:39 PM

Registered SVX

I just encountered the same problem with my '96 LSi after starting it up after winter storage . The key would not release from the lock cylinder . However in this case the whole cylinder was loose and felt like it would come out completely . Thanks to some excellent advice from svxfiles I was able to fix the problem and now the key works just fine .

There are two 8mm bolts holding the lock cylinder in place , both had come loose and were laying inside the steering column shroud . These factory installed bolts have no indentations on the heads so cannot be retightened and must be replaced , I used M8-1.25 X 25 MM socket cap screws from Ace Hardware . In order to access the bolt locations you have to remove the plastic steering column shrouds ( 4 in all ) it is a little tricky to wiggle them free after undoing the screws that hold them in place , but patience is rewarded . Also I had to get the key out of the lock in order to remove the lower shroud , but I reached up underneath to release the key as noted in the earlier posts . So if you can't get the key out and your lock cylinder feels loose this could be the solution .
Old 05-05-2014, 04:26 PM

Registered SVX

Check post on plug under E brake
Old 05-23-2014, 10:48 PM

I plucked up some courage and started dismantling stuff to have a crack at solving this.

I have swapped the Shift Lock Unit (88083pa000) which lives under the hand brake with another of the same part number from my parts car.
This made no difference to the fault.

I found a micro switch on the side of the transmission lever (under the cover) which is actuated when the transmission lever is in Park position. Looking at my parts car I can see this switch is connected back to the Shift Lock Unit. I tried shorting across the switch and also using a multi meter to test the switch.
Switch is working ok (closed circuit when in Park).

Looking at my parts car, the key could be turned to Lock position and removed ok. Even when the Shift Lock Unit was removed.

Some reading told me that there is a solenoid in the ignition barrel which is preventing me turning the key to lock position.
The parts car has no battery and no Shift Lock and I could turn the key to Lock.
So I setup the same situation on my faulty car, disconnected the battery (it's been off for nearly an hour) and disconnected the Shift Lock.

Key still won't go to the Lock position.

I've tried pulling the steering column covers off, but the last one that wraps around the ignition barrel won't come off if there is a key in the ignition (perhaps I haven't pushed it hard enough).

I'd like to get that cover off so take a closer look at the ignition barrel to see if I can remove it.

In the parts car the ignition barrel is almost out, but as pointed out earlier in this thread, the barrel is held in place with two bolts that have no indents of any sort in the bolt head to either unscrew or screw it up. I can't find any mention in the service manual as to how to remove the ignition barrel.

I have a spare cover for the steering column, so if I get desperate I could break mine to get it off which will give me access to the ignition barrel. Once I know how to remove the bolts then I could take out the whole barrel and swap it with one from my parts car so to see what happens.

So, after all that rambling I guess I have two questions :
Has anyone successfully removed the lower steering column cover while there is a key in the ignition without breaking the cover ?
Any suggestions for removing the bolts securing the ignition barrel ?
Any other bright ideas ?
Old 06-14-2014, 12:49 AM

Gave up and called an automotive locksmith.
He removed the interlock solenoid off the ignition switch, removed the key barrel, cleaned, lubed, reassembled (minus the interlock solenoid) and it all works perfectly now.

He thinks either the interlock solenoid was faulty or I had turned the key when it wasn't fully inserted.

Solenoid is now detached from ignition, but still connected to the loom. Tied up out of the way now.

The locksmith made a new key which is what I use daily now, with the warn key as a spare.

Thank you to everyone who offered suggestions.