Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 11-23-2012, 11:57 PM

Ls7 Svx?

An interesting development today. I was given a lead by my boss about a good friend of his who has taken a shine to my svx project. There was talk about the car, myself and what I had planned on doing with the svx. He said that he might be interested in sponsoring my car, provided that Id be willing to stuff the 630 hp LS7 crate motor that he makes under the hood..

Now mind you, this was just chatter between two friends. But its something I plan on following up on, rather soon. Ill have my boss check up to see just how serious his buddy was.

As it sits, the svx is currently in a bunch of pieces as im smack in the middle of the build. I have the engine and 5-mt in, however its really the perfect time to take her in a completely different direction. I just had never in my wildest dreams... (okay perhaps my wildest dreams) thought about taking her in this direction. Id need to find a good 6 speed that can take the abuse. A entirely new rear end for that sort of power. Chassis reinforcements, new mounts, new firewall.. new ecu and wiring. Bloody hell. What am I getting into here!?!

Im wondering if its worth it? Ill loose awd. Which I have been trying to keep. But I can relocate the drivetrain back quite a bit back into the chassis. Thus loosing the nose heavy aspect of the car. That engine. Good gawds.. Even in naturally aspirated form, it more power than I ever dreamed of getting from the eg33.

Gods, the thick, primal roar of a v8 from an SVX... My heads swimming right now.
What do you all think? Should I go for it?

Last edited by smc; 11-24-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:59 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: Ls7 Svx?

A far easier and economic approach would be to mount the SVX body on a Corvette chassis with the LS7 installed. All the components are there and ready for the most part to handle that kind of power. The Corvette chassis will also have a superior suspension to anything you could retrofit to the SVX. Brakes too will be capable.
It's win, win, win compared to the nightmare involved with altering the SVX suspension, frame, brakes, engine management etc.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:30 AM

True. However I dont know anybody with a spare late model corvette sitting around that they would be willing to sell me for next to nothing
I agree that slipping the top of a svx over a new chassis would be the way to go. But where is the fun in that? Its no longer a subaru! I might as well leave it a boring crovette and be done with it. I have to agree with Tim, that this car with a healthy v8 will do wonders. The suspension will be fine in an of itself. Ive already installed sti tarmac rally coil overs, and have a sti knuckle conversion. Ive renforced the strut towers with rally in mind. With my knuckle conversion comes bigger brake options. The only thing I have to play with is the front camber. As I will no longer have power going to the front, the tires wont center as well. No biggie on that end. Ill build some adjustment into the front control arms.

Im really liking the idea. This would kick my completion date to late next year though. If I can talk him into getting me a transmission, then I think ill go for it. Otherwise, thats a $6,000 + expense that I just dont have the funding for right now.
*squee!* Ill start scratching up a sponsorship proposal and contract today.
Man.. I really hope Tim was serious about this offer. Ill find out on monday.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:36 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Go for it man. Whatever it is at the end, will be really fun to drive.

But I would probably get in touch with the other guy swapping a V8 in:
https://www.facebook.com/chris.elzen.3?fref=ts
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5980440&type=3

Pics of the V8 stuff start like 2/3rds the way down the album page. He's not active on the forum.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 11-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX

^Yes. Chris can help you out a LOT!
Old 11-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

smc what is your car's current condition? Is it good?
If it is, then I would recommend you get another SVX for this project.

As the guys said above, you need to overhaul/stiffen your entire suspension.
To make this work, you need to consider pushing the V8 way back in the engine bay in order to maintain balance in steer (oversteer and understeer).

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:01 PM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX

Don't listen to him. Use the cleanest SVX you can find!
Old 11-25-2012, 01:45 PM

The cars current condition? Heh. Gutted to bare metal on the interior. Seam welded chassis. Reinforced strut towers. No dash, stripped wiring harness. Decent paint Blue painters tape all over place for figuring roll cage configuration. The engine and 5-mt are in with the new crossmember. However i haven't lengthened the driveshaft yet as I had planned on going with a 1 piece carbon unit, nor lengthened the shifter yet as Im currently placing the seats with the cage, and may want it at a different location. Like I said, im at the perfect point to change directions in the build.

Im digging the thought of this car with a high power v8.
As for DTR's SVX. Ive been keeping track on his build for a bit now. Ill be getting in contact with him if this deal takes place

Alright!

Ill do it!
Old 11-25-2012, 02:02 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Good luck and don't forget pix

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:18 PM

Allrighty then. Here is the news on my end. Tim is not willing to give me a free ride on the engine as it is a significant cost that his company simply can not afford to give away. HOWEVER! He his willing to give me a SUBSTANTIAL discount on it. At cost of the parts involved, and freebie assembly and dyno tuning. Which drops the price that I can manage with in a few months time.
So... Change of course! Looks like ill be turning this little beast into a 600 HP RWD monster Sooo, that means I will be putting up my 2 eg33's up for sale, the 5-mt and high performance clutch and 8lb flywheel as well. Good gawds.. I cant just keep my builds simple!
Old 11-29-2012, 05:47 AM

Registered SVX

I read someplace that the overall height of a V8 will not fit under the hood of an SVX. Fact or fiction I do not know!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:35 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
I read someplace that the overall height of a V8 will not fit under the hood of an SVX. Fact or fiction I do not know!
Good point!
Smc, if I were you, I would pre-agree with them not to pay anything until the entire project is done. I would also ask for a deadline.

Do not pay anything upfront because once you are in, they might sink you deeper and deeper into it, without any known outcome.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:50 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

I think if you set it back far enough in the engine bay it should be able to fit. The rear of the engine bay is higher than the front of it. It also depends on how low the engine is set, which he will have to keep in mind as he makes a new subframe. Obviously the limit for that comes from how low the car and the engine will be to the ground - don't want the oil pan getting ripped off by a speedbump or something. For Chris's SBC swap, he set it very far back in the engine bay, cutting into the firewall at the trans tunnel quite a bit.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 11-29-2012, 10:11 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

You'll need to cut the hood for clearance.

Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-30-2012, 12:52 AM

Quite true on the engine clearance. I do plan on following chris's lead here and place the engine way back into the firewall. Better weight distribution in my primary reasoning behind that. As for hood clearance.. I have no issues what so ever with cutting sheet metal and adding clearance to the hood for fitment. Im not after aesthetics as a primary means of modification. Heck, just look at my current hood vents. Im after functional modifications first and foremost, then make it look good.