Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-02-2012, 08:40 AM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T
Re: Manual swap, not starting

Does anyone have an alternate part number for that relay? I brought the one listed to NAPA and they told me the closest one in any store is in Indianapolis and it would cost more in shipping to get it here than it costs... So maybe a number for Auto Zone or something?
Old 03-02-2012, 09:51 AM

Registered SVX

Any relay of the same spec should work.
http://www.amazon.com/TYCO-BR-1000-3.../dp/B0075TCNX6
Old 03-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeL25T View Post
Does anyone have an alternate part number for that relay? I brought the one listed to NAPA and they told me the closest one in any store is in Indianapolis and it would cost more in shipping to get it here than it costs... So maybe a number for Auto Zone or something?
If the relay that you used to replace the Security one is a 5 pin relay, you can use that type, just use the normally open contacts.

The main thing is that the coil in the relay has to be 90 ohms or less. If it has a much higher resistance, the Cruise Control signal may have the starter work, when put into P or N.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:06 PM

I pulled out the whole center console, which appears to have been a huge waste of time because literally the only thing under is a black box with a plug going into it I could easily reach and already have just by removing the little cover under the parking brake. That box says right on it "Shift Lock Unit" so I can only hope that is what Tom is taking about... But I've already tried unplugging this once and it made no difference. Tried again for good measure and no change.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:09 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Leave it unplugged, and take the module out, it no longer serves a purpose. Find the wires mentioned earlier near the shifter and connect the two wires.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 03-04-2012, 02:58 PM

Good news is running a jumper wire to tab from the battery makes the starter work.

Bad news is adding the jumper wire to the white plug still did nothing to release the key. If I had some issue with the switch on my brake pedal, would that cause this?
Old 03-04-2012, 03:09 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Good news is running a jumper wire to tab from the battery makes the starter work.
Ok, then do the relay thing, and you should be in good shape here on out.

Quote:
Bad news is adding the jumper wire to the white plug still did nothing to release the key. If I had some issue with the switch on my brake pedal, would that cause this?
I don't think so. Normally, once the car's in park, you can take the key out regardless of whether you're pressing the brake pedal or not. Are you entirely sure you jumped the right wires?

I'm trying to think back to whether I did anything else with wires when I did my swap. There were only these 3 things:

- Wiring for the reverse lights
- Wiring the NSS to a switch on the clutch pedal
- Jumping those two wires next to the shifter

So I'm not sure about the key issue. I'll think about it more, and test whether that 3rd thing is for sure related to the key or not.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 03-04-2012, 03:29 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
- Jumping those two wires next to the shifter

So I'm not sure about the key issue. I'll think about it more, and test whether that 3rd thing is for sure related to the key or not.
Well, I just went out and checked, and the key came out just fine without those two wired jumpered.

The shift lock module you left unplugged right?

Old 03-04-2012, 04:53 PM

Still unplugged.

I wonder if there is problem with they key itself then.... It was looking a little bent if I recall.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:33 PM

Registered SVX

If it is in OFF you should be able to push the little lever under the steering columb ( release tab) and pull it out
Old 03-08-2012, 08:23 AM

Would that be the one at the very bottom and back of the steering column that isn't labeled? Didn't work either if so.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:00 AM

Registered SVX

Copied and pasted from another source"

I just ran out to look at mine.

It is down at the base, right next to the lever to adjust the height. Not the height release on the side, but the height adjustment on the bottom center.

The metal tab is in a white plastic block, you can sort of see the spring holding it, you need to slide the tab towards the height adjustment button.

Once pressed, you still need to push the key in to turn it back.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:21 PM

Just as an update, the Bosch relay fixed my starter issue right up and the lever under the steering wheel got my key out and it hasn't been locked again since. Thank you all! Just one more problem to tackle now...
Old 03-13-2012, 05:55 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Just as an update, the Bosch relay fixed my starter issue right up and the lever under the steering wheel got my key out and it hasn't been locked again since. Thank you all! Just one more problem to tackle now...
Cool. I wonder why the key got locked in the first place. Maybe the shift lock unit locked it in there, and then it got unplugged and couldn't tell it to unlock anymore?

Old 10-11-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
...it a 25th time and magically the starter starts going and the motor tries to crank and it either doesn't or it will for about 3 seconds before the check engine light comes on, the gas pedal becomes useless, and it winds down til it dies. The process repeated about 5 more times before I gave up.

Did you ever find a fix for this? I'm swapping my impreza with an SVX motor, and it *tries* to fire up, then dies. So I'm looking for straws to grasp at now.

Thanks!