How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-10-2012, 11:26 AM
The Molinator

Intermittent engine cutting out.. ???

I was passing someone yesterday.. In the middle of the pass, during acceleration, the engine bolted shortly (as if turned off briefly) .. After letting off accelerator.. the engine came back to normal.. ??

From then on.. now every few minutes.. whether going fast (with cruise on or off) or slow.. even parked idling... . The engine suddenly goes dead.. like running outta gas.. or turning key off.. ??

Sometimes when the engine dies while driving.. I can pump the accelerator.. and the engine will start up and work for a while.. Other times, it wont start back up unless I put in N and start.. SOMETIMES, it wont start unless I turn from ON to ACC .. then back ON and to start !!

HeLp!

I have had problems with the gas running out early [engine stops when stopping quickly.. or sometimes when turning left (??).. only after using 12 or 13 gallons of gas (230 miles+], since fuel pump replaced)??? This feels like that.. BUT, plenty of gas in this case (only used 60 miles on new tank)!

Also, when I tried the starter relay MOD.. I had problems with the engine stopping when I put in N or P (with the Cruise MAIN ON)! No good explanation for that.. but I took the relay out.. and now use the old OEM 30 amp circuit. Has been starting really good now (after replacing crazy battery).. So, the intermittent battery short when parked theory for unexpected dead battery is looking like an unecessary explanation .. JUST BAD BATTERY.

This situation is both aggravating .. AND dangerous. This AM I pulled out turning right into high-speed traffic.. only to have the engine mysteriously die .. putting me in a risky situation!

HeLp PlEaSe!

Thanks, Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 01-10-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:42 AM

Re: Intermittent engine cutting out.. ???

sounds like a faulty coilpack?
Old 01-10-2012, 12:42 PM
The Molinator

Wouldn't that cause rough running? This just goes SMOOTHLY off.. like running outta gas.. or turning key off.. ??
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 01-10-2012, 12:50 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Sounds like a bad MAF. Try unplugging the MAF before you start the car up and see if it quits doing that. If so, try opening the MAF up and soldering the bad connections back together (search the forums for how to do this) or replace it with a known working one.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 01-10-2012, 01:08 PM
The Molinator

You mean? .. Leave the MAF sensor unplugged while driving the car?? How do I evaluate the MAF.. exactly.. ??

Or do you mean .. just see if it quits at idle.. without the MAF connected?

Thanks, Jim
Old 01-10-2012, 01:12 PM

Registered SVX

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...t=maf+resolder

Open the pdf in the link on the last posting

Second vote for the MAF.... fixed mine

Tapani
Old 01-10-2012, 01:16 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

I would agree that it sounds like a MAF sensor causing the stall, though all of your symptoms/issues do not necessarily point to just one issue.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:00 PM
The Molinator

So... I should first use MAF cleaner and see ... Then, resolder the three connections inside the MAF (will one appear loose.. ??).. Then ..

I think I'm still using a paper filter .. after my fixup for 2nd smog check 2 years ago .. after failing..

Thanks Y'all! Jim
Old 01-10-2012, 02:30 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

No just unplug the MAF sensor prior to starting the car next time you drive it, and then drive it normally and see if it still cuts out and stuff. The ECU will use a reference value instead of the MAF signal based on the TPS and RPMs and such. The AFRs will not be as accurate but the car will run and drive normally, just not as efficiently.

The easiest possible way to see if the problem is caused by the MAF or not. Usually cleaning the MAF doesn't accomplish anything when the car has these symptoms because the usual cause is loose connections within the MAF, not a dirty sensor. A dirty sensor would be consistently wonky; loose/broken connections cause the ECU to think there is suddenly no airflow when the signal is lost (ie, sometimes, randomly) and then cuts fuel as a result.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 01-10-2012, 02:57 PM

Does all the witness lights goes on on the combined instrument when the engine goes off?
Any withness light goes on when the motor goes off?
Normally, when the engine goes off for any reazon while driving, all the witness lights goes on on the conbined instrument... If it does not happen, you may have a contact problem on the main key or main fuse box that simply disconnect power like if you turn the key to the off position.
Does your radio still work when it happens?
Old 01-10-2012, 04:36 PM
The Molinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE NEW GUY View Post
Does all the witness lights goes on on the combined instrument when the engine goes off? Sometimes power just goes off first, and pumping gas pedal will turn engine back ON
Any withness light goes on when the motor goes off? Often, lights go off too.. then, I try to start (in ON position in NEUTRAL.. or sometimes need to back key to ACC then back ON to START
Normally, when the engine goes off for any reazon while driving, all the witness lights goes on on the conbined instrument... If it does not happen, you may have a contact problem on the main key (replaced about 2-3 years ago.. probably not defective, but I guess it cud be.or main fuse box that simply disconnect power like if you turn the key to the off position.
Does your radio still work when it happens? Yes.
Thanks, Jim
Old 01-10-2012, 04:44 PM
The Molinator

Quote:
No just unplug the MAF sensor prior to starting the car next time you drive it, and then drive it normally and see if it still cuts out and stuff. The ECU will use a reference value instead of the MAF signal based on the TPS and RPMs and such. The AFRs will not be as accurate but the car will run and drive normally, just not as efficiently.
Thanks for your very clear .. and complete instructions for a wannabee mechanic .. like myself! I dint know the car wud run without MAF info!

I'll unplug the MAF on my way home from work..

Thanks again! Jim
Old 01-10-2012, 07:32 PM

actualy, this car does run if you started it whitouf MAF.
but if you experenced all instruments black out this means no main electric power. This is due to a false contact somewhere. Have your main power circuit checked.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I have the same problem you described, but have just been ignoring it. Seems to get along fine if I tap the throttle before it plummets to zero. I can usually tell if it's going to stall because the tach drops faster than if it retains proper idle.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:05 PM
The Molinator

Unfortunately... .. . MY CAR WUNT RUN WITH THE MAF DISCONNECTED!

So.. It's still cutting out every few minutes (at the least!).. .

SHOULD I CUT THE TOP OFF THE MAF .. TO RESOLDER ??

Could this be an intermittent failure of the fuel pump? It acts very similar to when my gas gets low .. and then "runs out" early (ever since I replaced the pump 1-2 years ago) .. ?

Thanks, Jim