How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-18-2011, 04:32 PM
The Molinator

"DeAd" battery.. intermittent.. ???

NOW my SVX battery is "dying" after being parked for a few hours (or sometimes for a few minutes!) .. very intermittently.. BUT, very disturbingly!

Two times yesterday.. and three times this week.. I had to be jumped (battery) to start my car.. after parking! When trying to start then.. wunt turn the engine at all enough.. lights dim.. LIKE A DEAD BATTERY.

BUT.. right after the second time yesterday.. I took my car directly to Pep Boys (after battery jumped 5 minutes earlier) 2 miles away.. They said AGAIN (3 times in 4-6 months now).. that BATTERY IS OK!!! ???

BTW, I have a $180 Interstate battery.

SO.. what cud cause this? .. Something while parked.. like brake lights (not on, tho).. that would involve a circuit that would be ON while parked .. with ignition key OFF! Maybe alarm?

Is there any other part to the start circuit (I replaced alternator, starter very recently) that cud malfunction when starting (a relay?).. ?? which would not be explained .. or require a dead battery???

Thanks, Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 11-18-2011, 04:58 PM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX
Re: "DeAd" battery.. intermittent.. ???

Look at the alternator wiring..Corroded?
Old 11-18-2011, 06:55 PM
The Molinator

I did the 4GA Mod for Alternator + wire a long time ago. There are some other wires coming off the same terminal on the alternator that are hidden in a strange long plastic sheath... Is that what you mean? .. Those wires?
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 11-18-2011, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Look at this thread

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ight=parasitic

I posted links on how to check for a Parasitic Drain

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 11-18-2011, 08:45 PM

Registered SVX

I once had my rear wiper get stuck trying to park itself and it drained the battery. also the rear window defogger switch .
Have u used either in the past 3 weeks ?
Old 11-18-2011, 09:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

This is completely off-topic, but why is the A in "DeAd battery" capitalized? I've noticed that you do that a lot. I just wondered if there was a specific reason.
2001 Audi S8
Old 11-19-2011, 06:44 PM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Scott View Post
NOW my SVX battery is "dying" after being parked for a few hours (or sometimes for a few minutes!) .. very intermittently.. BUT, very disturbingly!
Thanks, Jim
happened to me about a month ago...after a full inspection i noticed that the mirror heaters were on!
make sure that everything is off and check if the ground wire from the battery gets hot or not!(for short circuiting)
-Regasketed Engine @140k
-Enkei Raijin 18x8.5, with 255/35/18's @140k
-BC racing Coilovers (From STI's) @142k
Old 11-19-2011, 11:37 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

I've seen batteries where the post is broken inside the case. Normally they make contact and all is fine, then they don't and it seems like a dead battery. When you put the clamp on, it moves the post and all is fine again.

It's an oddball thing but it has happened...
Old 11-22-2011, 04:15 PM
The Molinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
This is completely off-topic, but why is the A in "DeAd battery" capitalized? I've noticed that you do that a lot. I just wondered if there was a specific reason.
1) The same reason I answer, " Groovy" .. when people ask me how I am?

2) I'm different.

3) Better than BOLD.

4) Personalized ToUcH!

5) Retarded.

6) Hmmm?
Old 11-22-2011, 05:11 PM
The Molinator

How does an alarm fit in here? Doesn't an alarm draw all the time (when car off even, alarm ON)?
Old 11-22-2011, 07:19 PM

Registered SVX

Not enough to kill a battery in 2 or 3 weeks
Old 11-22-2011, 09:28 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
Not enough to kill a battery in 2 or 3 weeks
The stock alarm can kill the battery enough to not allow it to start in as little as 2 weeks. I've seen it happen on a fresh and good quality battery.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:56 PM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
The stock alarm can kill the battery enough to not allow it to start in as little as 2 weeks. I've seen it happen on a fresh and good quality battery.
you mean 2 weeks for the alarm going off all the time? cuz my car had been sitting for more than 2 years before i bought it and the battery was sooo alive! (was locked by the alarm)
-Regasketed Engine @140k
Old 11-23-2011, 12:38 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_12121 View Post
you mean 2 weeks for the alarm going off all the time? cuz my car had been sitting for more than 2 years before i bought it and the battery was sooo alive! (was locked by the alarm)
No, I have seen it happen. With no other faults or draws. It can happen.

I would also question any car sitting for 2 years and the battery still being able to start the car without a jump.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:06 PM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
No, I have seen it happen. With no other faults or draws. It can happen.

I would also question any car sitting for 2 years and the battery still being able to start the car without a jump.
the smog date was from 2 years ago and the the mileage was 20 more than the one on the smog paper...chances are that the seller jumped it
but a battery being able to work properly after being decharged for 2 years is weird

but still 2 weeks is not realistic for my experiences! just sayin
-Regasketed Engine @140k