SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-29-2011, 10:10 AM
work in progress

Send a message via AIM to LastSVXintheChi
Registered SVX
SVX interior space vs others...

so i was in my gfs mom's cavalier yesterday and i noticed how much MORE room there seemed to be in her car than mine....i always considered that to be a small car too, so i looked at them both from the outside and the SVX looked bigger yet it seems to have less interior space?

so my question is what would you classify the SVX as compact, sub-compact, mid-size....? and what other cars would compare to it size wise...

just fr light discussion

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 06-29-2011, 10:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Re: SVX interior space vs others...

compact for sure, practically a two seater. The back seat is useless for adults and most kids.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:20 AM
work in progress

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
compact for sure, practically a two seater. The back seat is useless for adults and most kids.
that is what i thought too, but isnt the cavalier a compact too? i had the front seat all the way back and she still had a plenty of room unlike ours where with the seat all the back you could barely fit someone with no legs

how could there be that much difference?

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 06-29-2011, 10:55 AM

Registered SVX

The two cars you are comparing are sort of apples and oranges. While the seating capacity is different and the smaller Cavallier can carry more passengers than the larger and heavier SVX, the Cavallier is a Compact Car and the SVX is a Grand Tourer.

A Grand Tourer falls into a different class of cars called Sports Coupes, which can be all sizes; broken down to 4 or 5 sub-classes... sports cars, GT cars, roadsters, Supercars, etc.

Most GT cars are mid size cars. Jaguar XJ, Passat CC, Lexus SC, BMW 6 Coupe , Audi 5 Coupe. And mid size cars are usually never less than 3500 lbs. Here the SVX falls right into place.

Compact cars weigh in at 2500-3300 at the most Ford Focus, Impreza, Golf, Civic. The Cavallier seems to fit in here.

Last edited by dbarnblatt; 06-29-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:26 AM
work in progress

Registered SVX

so the SVX is a grand tourer?? thats what i thought because a bunch of my buddies are like it doesnt feel that fast...and i know its not really a fast car... but i told them its not meant to be a "sports car" its a highway cruiser just lok at the windows for crying out loud!

the thing that always impressed me was the acceleration from about 20-30mph to 60mph...especially coming out of a corner it feels like someone kicked the car in the ass and you're gone

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 06-29-2011, 03:31 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
I think the SVX is a great car for little kids, once they're big enough that they don't have to ride in a car seat.

My little 7 year old brother in law really liked riding in the back of it. He got his own little window that he could control himself. And I didn't have to worry about him climbing out of it because it's too small for him to fit through. No doors back there for him to open on the highway.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 06-29-2011, 11:35 PM

actualy, the XJ pre-2004 is a "sub-compact" as they size cars by interior space not exterior size.

The SVX isn't bad for interior space, just like many japanese cars, not overburdoned with headroom. You want small, try a prelude. I'm not quite sure how they got the back seats to count as seats... It would be a 2+2 if your +2 is a couple of legless midgets.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:46 PM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX

Quote:
Compact cars weigh in at 2500-3300 at the most Ford Focus, Impreza, Golf, Civic. The Cavallier seems to fit in here.
hmm. i'm noticing a strange resemblance between these and the typical super fast douche mobiles.

STi Airlift Performance air suspension
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

First bagged SVX in the world
Worlds first SVX on air suspension.
Custom made (by myself) spare tire subwoofer.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:30 AM
Limecat is not amused.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 4 You View Post
hmm. i'm noticing a strange resemblance between these and the typical super fast douche mobiles.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...462553120.html
Old 06-30-2011, 07:14 AM

Registered SVX

I would say that the SVX is midsized car.
I was driving a 2001 Impreza RS before my SVX. The SVX feels much bigger than my compact Impreza.

If you think your SVX has no interior room go get into a 2011 Impreza.
I went to buy an Impreza, and left with a legacy. The new Impreza feels VERY cramped on the inside.

My 2011 legacy is about the same size as my SVX, its 4in longer, 2in wider.
The legacy fits 4 in spacious comfort. I would say it would fit 5 comfortably, as long as I am not the one riding middle in the backseat.
It is kind of crazy how much room is in the legacy for being only a few inches bigger.

SVX backseats seem to be there just for looks.
I have stuffed some friends back there from time to time and it leads to nothing but complaints about how little room their is.

On a side note, I had a 2004 caviler coupe. Its backseats had more room than the SVX, but its driver space seemed more cramped.

Last edited by Lookin4SVX; 06-30-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:25 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT6Wagon View Post
actualy, the XJ pre-2004 is a "sub-compact" as they size cars by interior space not exterior size.
Think he was meaning the XJS. Problem with the classification is that it is simply interior volume but not really usable space. While the XJ300/308 is a subcompact, and is quite form fitting up front and overhead, the rear seat space is amazing for virtually any classification. Then there is the LWB version for NBA players.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:34 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT6Wagon View Post
There is no real standard to classify car size... but most journalists and agencies use this one. That's why the SVX, Jaguar XJS and other like cars fall into the "Sports Coupe" segment:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Templat...classification
Old 06-30-2011, 09:00 PM
#1 BRODAWG!

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.3H6 View Post
I really feel bad for SVX's that are bought by Ricers. Whenever I see one on craigslist and the ad goes. " yo this is my SVX its really fast i smoked alotta civics and S&*^" I cringe.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:23 AM
work in progress

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun173 View Post
I really feel bad for SVX's that are bought by Ricers. Whenever I see one on craigslist and the ad goes. " yo this is my SVX its really fast i smoked alotta civics and S&*^" I cringe.
thats hilarious...i have a friend who is kinda like that...he has VERY VERY VERY high expectations for his first car....and he doesnt even have a job....hes all like "yeah im gonna buy me an old Integra or WRX and soup the **** out of it its gonna blow you away!"

and im thinking by the time you have the money or knowledge to that my car will be a collectors item and i will be selling it for a **** ton

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 07-16-2011, 09:50 AM

Registered SVX

I definitely think SVX interior room is kinda lacking, especially for somebody my size

When I finally get my manual swap done I'm going to have to go back to the stock seats just to be able to drive the thing.

4th gen F-bodies are a similar size and weight but seem like they have WAY more interior room, whereas a Mustang or 3000gt are quite similar to the SVX even though I would say F-bodies have the least amount of interior volume. It's amazing how a different layout or seating position can change the perceived interior space...