How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-04-2011, 08:21 AM

Registered SVX
V8 Swap in a SVX

I was just wondering if there has ever been someone who swapped a v8 into a svx. I have a green svx that is just for parts and I have a lincoln mark v8 that the suspension has damaged. Its a 4.6 4v V8. The ford Cobra motor. I think it would be cool to put it in my old svx. Its so sad to see it sitting there.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:07 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
Re: V8 Swap in a SVX

I honestly don't think that's physically possible..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 06-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Anything is possible.....but it'd be easier to stick an old school V-8 in it to avoid many of the wiring issues
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 06-04-2011, 10:25 AM

Do It!!!!!!!
Old 06-04-2011, 10:52 AM

What wiring issues? Run the engine stand alone. Not much to merge.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:00 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Yea, on an OBD 1 SVX this would be quite doable as long as you ditch the Automatic and manage to mate whatever V8 to whatever trans (STi 6-speed!) you use. Mounting it might be tricky, you'd have to mount it real low, a V8 can be a lot taller than an EG-33. LS1s have been swapped into pretty much everything you can imagine, so that would probably be the easiest thing to use.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 06-04-2011, 06:15 PM

Skip that 4.6, as its HUUUUGE. Its the size of a old Ford 460 big block.

I'm quite certain that a GM LS family engine will fit, only concern is hood hieght and the engine subframe. Not the hardest thing in the world to make a tubular subframe, but either time consuming or expensive depending on your skills. Might not be needed, or just a modified stock one is all it will take. Just want it out there that its one of the few places you will see issues. People swap them into 240sx all the time, and people have swapped them into 300zx too.

GM and painless wiring both sell "hot rod" wiring harnesses for the engine that will allow you to run the enging without making a custom wiring harness yourself.

A stranger idea, but the Jag 4.0L V8's are suprisingly cheap. You want a 2000+ one if you go this route. It it definitely will be more work as no one sells off the shelf harnesses, but its a sweet little motor. The 4.0 with supercharger is a truely epic motor in its own way, but might have more issues getting it in. Mind its likely better and cheaper to just buy a 2000-2003 XJR right now and its much the same size as a SVX. Lincon LS/Ford Thunderbird uses a "3.9L" version but I have no idea what if any changes they made for those models.

Last edited by XT6Wagon; 06-04-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:24 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Old School V-8 and transmission, you'll never bolt a V-8 to a Subaru Transmission, due to Starter issues...

And on a carbed V-8, the only wire to hook up is a hot wire to the distributor....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 06-05-2011, 12:10 PM

Registered SVX

Sound cool to have V8.
Just the sound of a V8 it is worth it..

My subarus:
1992 Svx LSI 5-MT(3.54)
1998 Legacy BG 2.5L GX
Old 06-05-2011, 01:48 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369 View Post
Old School V-8 and transmission, you'll never bolt a V-8 to a Subaru Transmission, due to Starter issues...

And on a carbed V-8, the only wire to hook up is a hot wire to the distributor....

I don't think a LS1 would fit where you would want it at least, same goes for the modular ford 4.6 and 5.4. They are both quite wide as they go up compared to the 302. Jag 4.0 is way too wide and lacks a viable manual tranny option. All of these engines you'll want pretty far back (which takes out the awd tranny set up in the Subaru sense at least. I have a 302 that could be yours complete with t-5 and the engine harness and computer as I've decided to go with a ford 3.7 in the TVR.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Take Ben's 302 and T5 and DO IT!

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 06-05-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
I don't think a LS1 would fit where you would want it at least, same goes for the modular ford 4.6 and 5.4. They are both quite wide as they go up compared to the 302. Jag 4.0 is way too wide and lacks a viable manual tranny option. All of these engines you'll want pretty far back (which takes out the awd tranny set up in the Subaru sense at least. I have a 302 that could be yours complete with t-5 and the engine harness and computer as I've decided to go with a ford 3.7 in the TVR.
It would have to be RWD for any of these swaps. Not having to have the transmission in the enginebay opens up a very large area. Much smaller cars have had LS motor swaps. The reason I am most in favor of the LS for swaps is the huge variety of OEM and aftermarket pans with different sump locations making it the easiest to fit around existing engine subframes. They also have many options for premade wiring harnesses, and best of all its a small and light engine. A SVX with a LS and T56 should be LIGHTER than a stock SVX. Handle far better even at the same wieght as you are no longer hanging a 400lbs engine entirely forward of the front axle.

And Sure the Jag has manual transmission options. Guess what the V8 in the 2005+ Aston Martin V8 Vantage is? Might even be a GM bellhousing pattern as they used GM 4spd Autos in the XJ all the way till 2004. I don't have the actual dimentions, but its a very compact little V8 as it fits in the old XJ which has no great amount of room under the hood.

Course if you are really really crazy, The Jag V12 might even fit. Someone managed to shove one into a miata.... Sure its stone age lump of crap, but just imagine a V12 SVX. Still 350hp before mods.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT6Wagon View Post
It would have to be RWD for any of these swaps. Not having to have the transmission in the enginebay opens up a very large area. Much smaller cars have had LS motor swaps. The reason I am most in favor of the LS for swaps is the huge variety of OEM and aftermarket pans with different sump locations making it the easiest to fit around existing engine subframes. They also have many options for premade wiring harnesses, and best of all its a small and light engine. A SVX with a LS and T56 should be LIGHTER than a stock SVX. Handle far better even at the same wieght as you are no longer hanging a 400lbs engine entirely forward of the front axle.

And Sure the Jag has manual transmission options. Guess what the V8 in the 2005+ Aston Martin V8 Vantage is? Might even be a GM bellhousing pattern as they used GM 4spd Autos in the XJ all the way till 2004. I don't have the actual dimentions, but its a very compact little V8 as it fits in the old XJ which has no great amount of room under the hood.

Course if you are really really crazy, The Jag V12 might even fit. Someone managed to shove one into a miata.... Sure its stone age lump of crap, but just imagine a V12 SVX. Still 350hp before mods.
Umm... you are quite incorrect on the Jag manual options with the 4.0. Yes the AM Vantage is very similar of an engine but you cannot bolt it onto the Jag engine, as it has been done and it isn't a simple affair. You'd be better off having a custom made bell for a much cheaper tranny to begine with. The X308 use anything from GM. N/A cars use a BMW tranny the S/C uses a Mercedes tranny. There is nothing compact about it as it is a solid 6-8 inches wider than a 302. Having both here makes it quite easy to get those measurements you lack.

As for the LS1, take a look at the unibody of the SVX and tell me how you plan to put it in there without cutting out 3 inches on either side of the unibody?. The Jag v12 will result in 4 inches gone per side (so then you are talking about cutting inner fender out too). Yes you can simply move it forward but then you're in need of plenty of other work to the suspension, rad support and figuring out a place for the radiator for either of these options. As for the Jag V12 being a stone age lump of crap, you really show your ignorance on that one.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:32 PM

Registered SVX

when i had an sts i always dreamed of dropping the northstar v8 from it into the svx. it with the transmission (fwd) would barely fit if you didn't have a hood. the engine itself is actually pretty small for an 8
Old 06-06-2011, 02:17 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX

Set in, and back against the firewall, a small(ish) V8 like a chevy, or ford smallblock, Northstar, or just about any import V8 SHOULD fit. that said, getting it low enough to clear the hood, and keep some sembalance of handling, may be troublesome.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.