SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-09-2011, 08:14 PM

Registered SVX
Red LED Floor Lights

Well I had installed a set of red Flex LED as floor lights for the front seats:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...9&postcount=54
After Installing them I wanted to get a set for the back seat floor.
Finally got them installed and took some pics of it tonight.

They are all wired into the original floor lights, so they go on and off with the doors, and they can be turned on with the door closed by using the "room" light switch on the roof.

Pics taken at 8pm, close to dark outside, with long shutter, they are more red in real life:

Last edited by Lookin4SVX; 05-10-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
Re: Red LED Floor Lights

You go to reading yes? You show us all there, yes?

Now that I'm done being Chinese, how much did this cost and where did you get all the parts from? Was everything difficult to wire up or pretty easy? For the love of God, please post a how to for EVERYTHING!
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 05-10-2011, 12:27 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

Now that I'm done being Chinese, how much did this cost and where did you get all the parts from? Was everything difficult to wire up or pretty easy? For the love of God, please post a how to for EVERYTHING!
while ur in china get an essence of mantis chill pill :P
Old 05-10-2011, 02:07 AM

Registered SVX

I no go to reading.

Suspension is shot, Tranny has issues with 2nd.
Only long road trip I have planned is to OT.. when I can afford to replace both.

Was really hoping to have it together for this year, but looks like its going to be another year before I get to meet some of you in person.

Good news is the SVX suspension/tranny fund is at $2400 now.
With any luck, I'll have the cash to get her fixed before long.
Anyone know what the average wait time is on an appointment at OT?
Old 05-10-2011, 02:25 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:

Cost:
I think they were like $15-20 each set at autozone.
Each set is two 12" strips, so do front & rear = 2 sets.
+ 6' of 22gauge 2 conductor wire to run the rears, $3
Total cost: ~$45

FLEX LED 24" - Bought at Auto Zone - 3M self adhesive flexible LED strips.

Close to a write up as I can get:

I removed the stock housing and I tapped into the stock floor light on the passenger side:

Stock blub fixture, I removed some of the shielding on the wires, and tapped into it:

Taped it all up so they don't touch and are not exposed:

Passed the drivers side one to the drivers side behind the radio:

I didn't take any pics when I ran the rears. :/

The rears I tapped into the same fixture as the front set, on the front passenger side.
I then ran the wires under the carpet next to center console.
Passed the drivers side one under the center console in the back, under where it opens.
Self adhesive to under the back of the drivers and passenger seat.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:52 AM
work in progress

Send a message via AIM to LastSVXintheChi
Registered SVX

I'm glad someone else did this too!! i bought the blue LEDs and put them in the front...

I just cut the wires going to the stock illuminated entry lights under the dash and used butt connectors (or whatever they are called) to attach them. i was hoping that they would still come on when you opened the doors but no luck. i can however turn them on and off with the button like you. i also got those little LED replacement overhead bulbs too. MY CAR IS VERY BLUE ON THE INSIDE lol my gf gets blinded if i turn it on with out warning her first

i will try and post a picture if you would like?

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 05-10-2011, 10:55 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSVXintheChi View Post
I'm glad someone else did this too!! i bought the blue LEDs and put them in the front...

I just cut the wires going to the stock illuminated entry lights under the dash and used butt connectors (or whatever they are called) to attach them. i was hoping that they would still come on when you opened the doors but no luck. i can however turn them on and off with the button like you. i also got those little LED replacement overhead bulbs too. MY CAR IS VERY BLUE ON THE INSIDE lol my gf gets blinded if i turn it on with out warning her first

i will try and post a picture if you would like?
Mine do go on when I open the doors.
They fade off when I close the door too.

Sorry about the shotty dark video, but my camera sucks major at video.

We did blue in my friends blue chevy cobalt.

Last edited by Lookin4SVX; 06-21-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

It'd be cool to see some other peoples work too. Post em up!
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 05-10-2011, 11:01 AM
work in progress

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX View Post
mine do come on when i open the doors.
they fade off when i close the door too.
LUCKY! you must have done it the "correct way"
this was the first time i tried doing anything like this so i was just kind of making it up as i went along lol

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 05-10-2011, 11:18 AM
work in progress

Registered SVX

Quote:
It'd be cool to see some other peoples work too. Post em up!
alright ill take a couple of pics tonight when it gets dark and try to figure out how to post them

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 05-10-2011, 01:14 PM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

How did you get it to dim with the rest of the lights?
Old 05-10-2011, 10:18 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
How did you get it to dim with the rest of the lights?
All I did was tap into this floor lighting blub on the passenger side.
That light comes on when the door opens, and dims out when the door closes.
By running off the leads to this bulb the LED act just like the floor lights.
They work with the doors and the room switch.

The housing that has socket in it that I tapped into is under the glove box, and is held in with one screw. I unscrewed that and then removed the bulb socket. You twist the socket to unlock it from the housing.

Yours will not have red stage gels taped to it but it looks like this:

This is what the socket looks like (without the blub in it).
One side is + one is -, they are unmarked black wires so its trial and error on that one.

Wires for LED (black and red wires). I ran the rears under the carpet here up front down the center console to the rear of the car:

Rears were both mounted under the front seats, I left a small loop of wire so the seat could move back and forth:

Passenger front is stuck to that metal rail under the glove box the original housing screws into.

Drivers front:

Clipping off the original bulb socket and using butt connectors, or wire nuts, has the same effect. The lights still work with the doors and fade.
I ended up just clipping the socket off when I ran the rears and using wire nuts out of laziness.

Last edited by Lookin4SVX; 05-10-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:06 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

I did blue accent neons in my SVX back in 05 I had set to a switch I have them pulled and rewired because only the fronts were switched and the rears were in the cigarette lighter, you should look into changing your key surround light and the rest of your interior lights to match. Here are some pics of when I first did mine.

This was before I changed the other interior lights blue etc.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:56 AM

Registered SVX

Yes, I most definitely need to make my ignition ring red...
Its on the to do list with the rest the green lights.

I'm currently playing with this:

White:

Bright Red:

Hot Cinnamon (or sumthing):

Got a couple more shades of red lighting gels coming, looking for something closer to the floor lighting.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:50 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

I'm thinking of doing mine so they kind of match my HID's. Like a white with a blue tinge in it. Think this would be TOO bright?