Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-24-2011, 02:53 PM
idahobakers

Registered SVX
Where to start on a running 92 with 130k

OK- in for a penny, in for a pound...I have had this car for a week. Have no business owning it- just couldn't resist. Really need to sell it and get the daughter a more suitable car, but if it's going to be with us a while until I get a new owner for it, some work needs to get started. The way I see it, here's what it needs now:
1.Timing belt, water pump, front crank seal, etc.
2.Valve covers and assorted associated seals to stop the hemorrhaging oil.
3.External trans. cooler, flush lines, change filters (trans replaced 25k ago-working just fine)

The car drives and runs beautifully-don't want to get into a whole restore job here, just keep Murphy at bay until we get it sold

My husband is a competent though extremely unwilling mechanic (fixing cars gets into his horn hunting time) and we have a nice big heated shop, but no lift, so it will probably go to a mechanic for this work.

Is this work something that can be trusted to an experienced Japanese car mechanic if he doesn't have SVX experience?

Any other must do's for now?
Old 03-24-2011, 03:10 PM

Re: Where to start on a running 92 with 130k

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahobakers View Post
OK- in for a penny, in for a pound...I have had this car for a week. Have no business owning it- just couldn't resist. Really need to sell it and get the daughter a more suitable car, but if it's going to be with us a while until I get a new owner for it, some work needs to get started. The way I see it, here's what it needs now:
1.Timing belt, water pump, front crank seal, etc.
2.Valve covers and assorted associated seals to stop the hemorrhaging oil.
3.External trans. cooler, flush lines, change filters (trans replaced 25k ago-working just fine)

The car drives and runs beautifully-don't want to get into a whole restore job here, just keep Murphy at bay until we get it sold

My husband is a competent though extremely unwilling mechanic (fixing cars gets into his horn hunting time) and we have a nice big heated shop, but no lift, so it will probably go to a mechanic for this work.

Is this work something that can be trusted to an experienced Japanese car mechanic if he doesn't have SVX experience?

Any other must do's for now?
Any compitant mechanic should be able to perform these tasks. The gaskets and timing belt job is pretty standard stuff. As for the trans cooler, if your getting rid of the car... i wouldnt even bother, but should be no problem for the mechanic.