Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-14-2011, 09:14 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176
Fluctuating blower motor

Guys,

I'm pretty sure this topic has been covered but my search is not revealing anything. I think my search string is not adequate so if this issue has been covered in the past, please point me to it.

The blower motor in my '92 has been fluctuating. Rather than trying to explain the symptoms, I made a short video clip of it. The video will show you the fluctuating speed of the blower as well as the dimming of the lights. There is no discernible blower related squeaks or odd sounds coming from the blower area. Even if I select a fan speed manually, the symptoms still continue to occur. As you can see, the engine idle speed is very steady.

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks.

Video link

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 02-14-2011, 09:25 PM

Re: Fluctuating blower motor

Usually oiling the bearings works.
I use high temp turbine oil when I do it. Only once did I have to replace the fan motor in my svx and that was on the one with 220,000 k miles on it. The lower bearing can be oiled without actually removing the blower but better to just get the thing out and work on top as well.

Keith
Old 02-15-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Usually oiling the bearings works.
I use high temp turbine oil when I do it. Only once did I have to replace the fan motor in my svx and that was on the one with 220,000 k miles on it. The lower bearing can be oiled without actually removing the blower but better to just get the thing out and work on top as well.

Keith
So this is a blower bearing issue, got it. What explains the light dimming, too much current draw?

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 02-15-2011, 07:00 AM

At and near idle, the pitch of the blower motor in my silver SVX actually changes with the flashing of the blinkers. The headlights pulse in time, too. In 25,000+ miles (one new battery and one reman alternator later) this car has yet to leave me walking, so I just chalk it up to another frumpy old-car oddity. In this case, it seems unlikely the blower motor bearings would be suspect.

dcb
Old 02-16-2011, 06:22 AM

Yeah, i agree with you. I don't think it's a mechanical issue with the blower. I took a two hour drive yesterday and the symptom went away during the drive. I'll keep investigating. I'll see if there's a code I can pull.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 02-16-2011, 08:39 AM

I've always figured it to be a problem with electrical resource allocation when the alternator's putting out its least. I've had zero electrical troubles from this car (one alternator failure aside) and its Econo-Jolt Deeluxe battery is almost 4 years old. So this is definitely Small Stuff. But I wouldn't mind knowing why it does this.

dcb
Old 02-16-2011, 10:02 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
I've always figured it to be a problem with electrical resource allocation when the alternator's putting out its least. I've had zero electrical troubles from this car (one alternator failure aside) and its Econo-Jolt Deeluxe battery is almost 4 years old. So this is definitely Small Stuff. But I wouldn't mind knowing why it does this.

dcb
I recall threads on other topics referring to an insufficient ground. Could that be it? I also notice a very slight fluctuation in the blower motor near idle. I was hesitant to post a topic on it because I knew it would invite the old "it is probably a blown headgasket" response. After all, if a slowly responding 14 year old O2 sensor points to a bad headgasket then why not a fluctuating blower?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 02-16-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alia176 View Post
Guys,

I'm pretty sure this topic has been covered but my search is not revealing anything. I think my search string is not adequate so if this issue has been covered in the past, please point me to it.

The blower motor in my '92 has been fluctuating. Rather than trying to explain the symptoms, I made a short video clip of it. The video will show you the fluctuating speed of the blower as well as the dimming of the lights. There is no discernible blower related squeaks or odd sounds coming from the blower area. Even if I select a fan speed manually, the symptoms still continue to occur. As you can see, the engine idle speed is very steady.

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks.

Video link
Could simply be an alternator problem... Does it fluctuate when you are driving steadily down the road. The "bearings in the blower are bronze bushings that are made to absorb oil from a wick, not roller or ball bearings. When the wick runs out of oil, there could be a problem of fluctuating blower rpm because of the extra heat causing the bearing to grip the rotor shaft. Normally it would not make additional sounds unless the wear was so excessive that the rotor actually was dragging.
Driving steady and observing the same think would give you a better clue. Idling rpm with would probable make the alternator more suspect.

Good luck,
Keith
Old 02-16-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
I recall threads on other topics referring to an insufficient ground. Could that be it? I also notice a very slight fluctuation in the blower motor near idle. I was hesitant to post a topic on it because I knew it would invite the old "it is probably a blown headgasket" response. After all, if a slowly responding 14 year old O2 sensor points to a bad headgasket then why not a fluctuating blower?
Hi Tony... Does that reply mean that we are communicating again Actually, I think I have enjoyed the "peaceful co-existence" better.

I think you might be on to something, Tony! In your case, the fluctuating could be a normal functioning of the system, depending on the accessory you are using. Maybe your only problem is your "blown head gasket.

Oops, forgot about the "squeaky door" hinge, that you can't work out where to put the oil!

Keith
Old 02-17-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Could simply be an alternator problem... Does it fluctuate when you are driving steadily down the road. The "bearings in the blower are bronze bushings that are made to absorb oil from a wick, not roller or ball bearings. When the wick runs out of oil, there could be a problem of fluctuating blower rpm because of the extra heat causing the bearing to grip the rotor shaft. Normally it would not make additional sounds unless the wear was so excessive that the rotor actually was dragging.
Driving steady and observing the same think would give you a better clue. Idling rpm with would probable make the alternator more suspect.

Good luck,
Keith
I have some more data points from driving the car out of town for work in the last couple of days.

- setting the speed on low or med has no effect on the blower oscillation (better word that fluctuations, I think). Still oscillates.

- setting the speed on high, the blower is a steady high speed. However, you can still make out the dimming of the HVAC indicator lights.

- start car, setting on ECON, drive for about five min on hwy, results in the system correcting itself. But this seems to be a hit and miss.

- setting on VENT, speed on LOW/MED - same oscillations.

Also, my batt voltage is spot on during engine ON so I'm ruling out the ALT.

Yes the blower does fluctuate while driving steadily down the road. Adding more load to the ALT doesn't seem to effect the symptom.

This is not a blower bushing issue because if it was I'd think there should be a difference in pitch of the blower sound. Still, I'll pull the amps during operation to see if it's pulling higher amps than normal. I'll also drop some 3 in 1 oil just to rule it out for sure.

Ground? Could be a possibility. A bad ground can cause all sorts of headaches and a PITA to troubleshoot.

Can someone tell me how to pull the HVAC code pls?

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E

Last edited by alia176; 02-17-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by alia176 View Post

Can someone tell me how to pull the HVAC code please?
Click HERE

And the complete climate control diagnostics from the FSM can be found HERE. The self-diagnostic procedure explained on pages 9-10.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 02-17-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
Click HERE

And the complete climate control diagnostics from the FSM can be found HERE. The self-diagnostic procedure explained on pages 9-10.

Awesome, thanks.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 02-17-2011, 09:11 AM

update

Just an update from the drive to work this morning, about 25 mins

ECON, 71 deg - blower functioned perfectly for the entire drive.

When adjusting the temp dial up or down, the system oscillates, light flickers then tries to hold steady. I took a video of this with a diff camera and it's not uploading so I'll do it when I get home this eve.

This leads me to believe that an electrical issue of some sort is at play here. I'll pull the codes, if any and report back.

thanks.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 05-14-2011, 07:06 AM

conclusion!

well, my problem of fluctuating blower motor has been resolved. Along with this problem, I was having an intermittent A/C operation. The system had a mind of its own and decided to come on and cool down the car as I pulled into my driveway

The main HVAC control panel was pulled out slightly while still hooked up and it turns out that there is a problem with this unit. While driving, I'd turn on the a/c and nothing happens. Then I fiddled with the control unit and the a/c would come on. It behaved like a loose connection inside this control unit. The two connectors were fine as well as the pins.

After replacing this unit from a '96, all is well. The A/C works fine, the blower works as needed. No more codes telling me that the Intake motor is not working.

The problem is that the '96 control unit fascia has a different color/tone than my '92. Not a big deal but an OCD like myself is having an issue with that

Removal of this unit is a minor PITA. The FSM says to take off all kinds of stuff. I chose to to remove the plastic pieces in front of the stereo, upper center (large) vent, removed the three screws (upward direction) of the instrument panel trim, and removed the three button defrost/hazard switch panel. The control unit comes out sideways rather than straight out. Just do all this on a warm day so nothing snaps or breaks!

Cheers.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 05-14-2011, 02:41 PM

Glad it worked out well!!

Keith