IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2011, 12:44 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
info needed-flat bed Truck, and i mean truck

http://appleton.craigslist.org/cto/2184140120.html

Just looking for info from anyone who may know anything about these. Just basically curious as to what I will have to deal with as for licensing and registration. According to the seller, he says a CDL is not needed and the seller is also located in Wisconsin as am I. Also, for plates, guessing I will have to get "truck" plates rated for the gross weight of the vehicle which would add more costs/year than getting a normal 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Lastly, curious how much I would able to tow behind in addition to having a vehicle on the flatbed. And also, I know it's not arrowdynamic, but what kind of gas mileage could I expect out of it without towing, but just a car on the back? Can I expect to get 18-20 mpg cruising at 55 mph on the highway, or will it be worse since it's a flat front. It's the same 5.9 cummins straight 6 diesel that is in the Dodge trucks for the similar years...

Thanks to anyone who can shed some more info

Edit: also, says it had air brakes... What kind of stuff would I have to check with that to make sure everything works right, as well as doing maintenance on them in the future?

Last edited by 1986nate; 02-11-2011 at 12:58 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:20 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: info needed-flat bed Truck, and i mean truck

Air brakes? Really? On a truck that size?

Not sure what licensing is like for you, but up here I would need to have an endorsement on my driver's license to operate a vehicle with air brakes.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 02-11-2011, 01:37 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Air brakes? Really? On a truck that size?

Not sure what licensing is like for you, but up here I would need to have an endorsement on my driver's license to operate a vehicle with air brakes.
Yeah, I'm a bit confused myself since airbrakes are meant for trailers mainly, yet this isn't the type of truck that would be pulling a big trailer with air brakes anyway. I'm emailing this guy tonight to see what kind of stuff he knows on this as well as calling the DMV and whoever else I need to in order to sort it out before making any final decisions...
Old 02-11-2011, 06:48 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

He's trying to sell a truck, he's likely to tell you what you want to hear about the license.

It's a few years since I dealt with this stuff, but I would think you would need a class C with airbrake endorsement. But definitely check with the DMV.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:08 AM

Half truck/ half shaggin wagon!
Old 02-11-2011, 07:58 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

To answere some of your other questions, yes registration will be higher (while you're on the phone with the DMV ask them).

Not sure what the mileage would be (guessing between 10 and 15??) but I doubt it would change much with a car on the back or a trailer behind it.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:49 AM

Registered SVX

For that price it should be worth it to buy.
I am unfamilier with wis dmv but in North Dakota you would not need a cdl for that unless your working as a business. As to the air brakes because it is not heavy enough you should not need an endorsment in ND. My dad drives over the road professionally I will ask him.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:04 AM

Registered SVX

I could not get a hold of my dad, I called a local tow company that uses those and they told me if you put NOT FOR HIRE on the side of the truck you do not need a cdl and most of those trucks have air brakes so that is not a problem. As to the mileage figure 15-16. Loaded or empty.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

I want it.
2001 Audi S8
Old 02-11-2011, 12:33 PM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

I believe it would be legal to drive without a CDL. It is all in how you license it (here in PA atleast). For example here in PA you would license it for 25,999 and under which is what our regular drivers licenses are good for.

Some trucks also have an air over hydraulic brake system so he says it is air brakes but I have my doubts that it is a true air brake system. I could be wrong though.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:25 PM

The air brakes are on that truck due to the added weight of what it can haul. It's a far better braking system than hydraulic, longer lifespan, but make sure you learn how to maintain it, an air brake course should only be a couple hundred and a weekend.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:00 PM

Registered SVX

Thanks guys. Surprisingly, searching and roaming through the Ford truck enthusiast forum gave a ton of info as far as the CDL/ class a/b/c licensing and everything else associated including the type of plates and insurance I would need to look into. It sounds like, as long as I keep the weight of the truck with loaded car on the back, under 25,999 and only have a trailer up to 9,999 lbs, either a normal license will work or at most, a class C license. The worst part seems like it is just how a particular officer would feel should they see me and decide to pull me over.

I felt like crap today as a sinus infection came out of nowhere and I slept all but about 45 minutes today so I didn't get a chance to call up the DMV but I do have a direct number I can call to Madison to get everything needed as far as info. Still haven't gotten an email back from the seller but this chassis seems to be the best as far as weight since the more "normal" looking trucks usually are around 1.5-3 tons heavier with everything included. I'm also liking this one since it has the same cummins diesel as in the Dodge trucks so parts would be easy to find and also, I know how to get more power and economy out of the engine with ease and minimal costs. Just wish the guy would get back to me. If I end up picking it up, I'll also probably look into getting a 2 speed rear end to help in the city. I'm also hoping that the transmission is an OD transmission and not direct drive but again, waiting to hear back...

Again, thanks for the info, and anyone who can shed anymore light, feel free to add. This has started me looking for older rollbacks as well as other medium duty trucks to see what I can find. I find this stuff pretty sweet though.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
It sounds like, as long as I keep the weight of the truck with loaded car on the back, under 25,999 and only have a trailer up to 9,999 lbs, either a normal license will work or at most, a class C license. The worst part seems like it is just how a particular officer would feel should they see me and decide to pull me over.
Hang on a second... You need to remember that the trailer won't be counted as a seperate weight it counts into the whole equation. Like this (all weights are random numbers to show a point):

truck is 10k so you could carry 15,999 on its "back" = 25,999
or
truck is 10k + trailer (empty) 2k + svx (that is now on trailer) 4k + 9,999 on the back of the truck = 25,999

See what I am saying. If you are going to haul SVXi around I just don't want you to over load your truck or your license capabilities as the fine is crazy expensive. As you can see I'm sure you will be fine but you just need to remember that everything counts into the equation.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:04 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeman90 View Post
Hang on a second... You need to remember that the trailer won't be counted as a seperate weight it counts into the whole equation. Like this (all weights are random numbers to show a point):

truck is 10k so you could carry 15,999 on its "back" = 25,999
or
truck is 10k + trailer (empty) 2k + svx (that is now on trailer) 4k + 9,999 on the back of the truck = 25,999

See what I am saying. If you are going to haul SVXi around I just don't want you to over load your truck or your license capabilities as the fine is crazy expensive. As you can see I'm sure you will be fine but you just need to remember that everything counts into the equation.
Yes I was talking about this with my dad as well, if you have a svx on the bed say 4k for ease of calculation and another on the trailer 4k again thats 8k plus the 10k of the truck so as long as your trailer is under 7999 you should be fine.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
I want it.
What so you can buy another fine German trailer queen?