Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-26-2002, 02:02 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Ca$h is 21 years old according to his profile.
Solarsvx does not have his age in his profile but I seem to recall something like 17 from a previous post.

Age doesn't matter though.

I'm on no one's side here and I have noticed a few thinks while reading these threads:

- neither of you will ever admit to being wrong. I used to suffer from that disease myself...it's not a very mature attitude and it tends to start arguements instead of discussions.

- instead of blatantly telling someone "THEY ARE WRONG" maybe suggest an alternate truth. Higher octane may not make a difference on most cars but it definately will on some...it depends on the car. As for the SVX I don't know that answer because I have not timed my car at the drag strip.

p.s. this site has a spell checker

Last edited by Earthworm; 08-26-2002 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-26-2002, 02:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by solarsvx
my question is why do cars require 93 octane over reguler fuels? im shure its cause its just a cleaner better burning fuel.
The higher the octane rating, the more the fuel resists combustion. Since the engine in the SVX is high-compression, it requires fuel that will resist combustion until just the right time.

Quote:
as for 107 octane i can also see it cleaning the engine out. more explosive fuel.
I'm sorry, but you're still wrong about this. Higher octane fuel is not more explosive. All gasolines, regardless of the octane rating, have basically the same potential energy in them. 107 octane fuel actually resists combustion more than 93 octane, so you might argue that it is less explosive (but that's not entirely accurate).

The short version, once again:

107 octane fuel neither cleans your engine better (all gasoline grades now contain detergents) nor provides you with more power (higher octane ratings require higher compression to burn and all gasolines have the same potential energy).

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 08-26-2002 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-26-2002, 02:08 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
Higher octane may not make a difference on most cars but it definately will on some...it depends on the car. As for the SVX I don't know that answer because I have not timed my car at the drag strip.
David,

Please elaborate. I have found vague, elusive suggestions that on some cars a higher octane fuel will actually make a difference. I'd like an example.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 08-26-2002, 02:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
david i posted abought cashes statments im reading through the articles that mr pockets posted.

LOL earth worm i wish i was 17 again .

i will admit i should have not say u are wrong and im man enough to apoligize. so sorry for saying u are wrong cash.

i took offense to cashes statments, and way he worded i did not like and it turned to be a argument over a disusion . sorry for making it that .

i rather discuss things then argue but if i get step on a wrong way i get pist. and way cash posts went i got pist

im going to step down and lay back
Old 08-26-2002, 02:22 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Please elaborate. I have found vague, elusive suggestions that on some cars a higher octane fuel will actually make a difference. I'd like an example.
Sorry, I was still thinking about the difference using 107 octane compared to 93 octane. The cars I was thinking of where you will get a difference are race prepared high compression engined cars.

I can't think of any stock production cars that would noticibly benefit from that octane.

My SVX owner's manual says to use 91 octane. 93 octane isn't even available here and I only know of one place in Winnipeg that sells 94 octane.

BTW solarsvx - now I have no idea as to how old you are.
Old 08-26-2002, 02:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
txs mr pockets for the links i understand the whole theory now.
Old 08-26-2002, 03:04 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
txs mr pockets for the links i understand the whole theory now.
Oh, good. I'm glad I could be of assistance. Props also go to cash for his explanations. I have the same understanding of fuel as he does, and I think my posts said basically the same thing.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 08-26-2002, 03:12 PM
Ca$h

Yep. I've clearly stated the exact same thing multiple times but some people must just think that if its a long post its completley useless, so instead they skip over valueable information and completely ignore it.

- Ca$h

PS: I'm glad this is settled. Anyway, on to the headlight/mpg thread!
Old 08-27-2002, 05:04 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
If there is a way to mount a gauge that will tell you degrees of advance inside the car - or maybe log it in a laptop - you will find out if your sensors were detecting knocking even on 93 octane gas and retarding the timing where the engine may be able to run as advanced as the ECU allows on 107 octane without any knock to cause it to retard the timing. Solar's findings could be entirely accurate if there is enough buildup/ crud/ whatever in his engine to cause it to knock and retard the timing even on 93 octane.

My little red wagon would sound like you were shaking a coffee can full of marbles running 89 octane (I think factory spec was 87 octane) but would run smooth on 93 octane.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:48 PM
Meow!

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
My little red wagon would sound like you were shaking a coffee can full of marbles running 89 octane (I think factory spec was 87 octane) but would run smooth on 93 octane.
I may be wrong but isn't it possible to have carbon build up on the pistons therefore decreasing the volume in the combustion chamber and therefore increasing the compression requiring the use of a higher octane to prevent knocking?
Old 08-30-2002, 03:18 PM
Ca$h

maybe if you had LOTS of carbon build up. But any type of fuel system cleaner would remove that....

- Ca$h
Old 08-31-2002, 12:38 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
These little "discussions" are getting out of hand. I'm getting weary of going to my mailbox and finding another reported post. I think ALL PARTIES concerned need to step back, take a deep breath and chill the heck out.

Let's not provoke, nor be provoked and all will be well.

From here on out, when threads erupt into firestorms such as we've seen recently, I'll simply delete the entire thread. I hate to do it, sometimes there's some good info in the midst of the melee, but, enough is definitely enough.

Thank you, in advance, for your cooperation.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI