Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 07-26-2010, 09:59 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Vlad772
Oil catcher for SVX

Hi there,

I've got an oil in the inlet air pipe. It comes form the carter ventilation system (it might be an extra pressure there). I've seen oil catch tank suitable for WRX or STI. Does anybody has any expirience with it?

Thanks in advance.

Vlad
Old 07-26-2010, 11:57 AM

Re: Oil catcher for SVX

I would think an air/oil separator canister that works on an EJ would work on an EG... if it can be attached in much the same way.

Maybe this would work, also.
Air/Oil Separator - Subaru - GrimmSpeed

Although that is a bit expensive, at 300$

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:10 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

That piece has also been determined to not work with the Subaru NA system. They're working on something to suit our (your? ) needs.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
That piece has also been determined to not work with the Subaru NA system. They're working on something to suit our (your? ) needs.
I found the similar one but I concerned about its usability on NA engine. The price is about 60$, not too much to have a try Otherwise the question is still opened.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:11 AM

Registered SVX

Somebody, please correct me if I'm wrong.

In its naturally aspirated state, the SVX's H6 and your everyday H4s effectively require two catch cans to cover the whole system - one for the valve covers and one for the PCV system. The question has been raised on NASIOC as to whether the valve covers actually need a catch can at all.

A 2-to-1 like the oil cap shown above might have merit in that the valve covers could merge there, then lead to the intake in one location, with the other former hose connection capped off.

This is surely a legitimate concern; when I removed my intake manifold, it was a lot like others I've seen... full of oil!

Got a link to the $60 one, fwiw?
Old 07-28-2010, 06:20 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Somebody, please correct me if I'm wrong.

In its naturally aspirated state, the SVX's H6 and your everyday H4s effectively require two catch cans to cover the whole system - one for the valve covers and one for the PCV system. The question has been raised on NASIOC as to whether the valve covers actually need a catch can at all.

A 2-to-1 like the oil cap shown above might have merit in that the valve covers could merge there, then lead to the intake in one location, with the other former hose connection capped off.

This is surely a legitimate concern; when I removed my intake manifold, it was a lot like others I've seen... full of oil!

I logically agree on that the PCV requires a catch can whereas the valve covers not.

And why not merging both banks into one inlet and buying a cheap (<$80) catch can instead of paying $300 for an "extra terrestrial" one?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:09 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

Which is what I have done on my car.. I have a Greddy catch can located where my battery used to be with both banks merged into a single inlet. On the outlet side I have a K&N crankcase vent filter just venting to the atmosphere. I no longer have the PCV to worry about either...
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 07-28-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:

Here it is:
http://cgi.ebay.at/Oil-Catch-Tank-Ol...item5d29c380c4
Old 07-31-2010, 09:48 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Give me about a week guys and I'll show you an AOS ventilation tank I'm working on for the EG33 PCV.

Point being....PCV system is for emission. Those that say that the vacuum created by the PCV creates power.......true and not so true. Crankcase vacuum creates power, but for the average motor not until you see levels in the 10"hg range which the PCV system cannot create in any operational level of the motor that makes any benefit. You need an external source of vacuum to provide this like a vacuum pump used an many top fuel motors.

The problem is that too much case vacuum is bad and one must be cautious in doing so.

Most will suffice with a simple catch can with case lines run to it, PCV manifold port blocked. The issue with this is oil consumption(rather oil "trappage" in the tank as I called it). Its a big problem on the EJ motors and why the AOS's options are being made(by which the Crawford one is the only one I find to truly work, and I've tested nearly all of them out there).

A true functioning AOS is the trick, and something I'm working on right now for my car as I'm smack in the middle of some manifold/fuel system work and too wanted to nix the oil issue in the butt.

Parts are on order and should be here mid week. I'll show you what I can offer as a solution for a fair price.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Sorry, AOS and oil pan work got put on hold. had to pull GTR into shop for work for a race on 8/23. Will be back asap with work photos for you guys
Old 08-11-2010, 06:31 AM

Registered SVX

Used Perrin catch can: $50
Hose, clamps, adapters and one bolt: $12ish
<-click

New is new, but some Simple Green and replacement of the sight hose makes this zero technology piece look as new.

Before the install, I'd replaced the hose between the "F" on the back of the top of the block and the air box with clear hose, and it was turning brown within a week!
<-click

Last edited by LetItSnow; 08-11-2010 at 06:35 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:57 PM

I have done everything on my EJ and my EG from venting with filter to atmosphere, to a catch can with a small hose extended to the bottom of the can with a filter on the interior to help with separation. I have driven about 60k on the WRX with the can and the clean up in the can was minor. I have yet to open up the intake to see if it is clean though. I used to just vent my EG motor, with no problems, but I will probably go with the can. The EG motor was so filthy after opening up the intake, when I got the WRX new, I immediately installed vent filters, so it should be clean.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:51 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Alright I need to take pictures of the AOS I made for this EG33 here so you guys can see what's going on. It's not fully plumbed in as I had to scrounge some of my cars AN supplies for another build here but I can point all that out.

It's probably not something that'll fit into the bay of the SVX but it 100% guarantees no oil will enter the intake system, while at the same time 99% guarantees no oil loss from spewing out a filter or becoming entrapped in the bottom of a tank(recylces the oil back to the crankcase)

I'll bring the camera to work tomorrow and snap a few shot of it, have it online later that night.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:55 PM

Registered SVX

Three weeks after the single can shot above... you can see that it's working, and that it's got work to do!
Old 08-30-2010, 11:56 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Rob, nice work. But I recommend you change those hoses to soemthing more decent looking...

Black is good

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.