How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-03-2010, 07:44 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176
Cruise control fixed...finally

After not having cruise control for the better part of eight years, I finally dove into the ECU. Every other component checked out fine and the vacuum hose on the diaphragm was not cracked. The local U Pull it had two SVXs so I grabbed the CC ECU out of it.

My symptoms: push the CC button on the dash and the light wouldn't stay on. You can hear a click but the relay wasn't maintaining on. I could get the light to stay on by pushing the switch carefully just so. However, the ECU wouldn't operate the CC.

This ECU is located behind the glove box, way up there attached to a structural round tube and is right next to the door chime ECU. The CC ECU housing has two relays attached to it. So, I drove while swapping out one component at a time until the thing worked. It turned out to be on the relay that was bad. The actual CC ECU is in good working order. Since the relays have a finite life cycle, it maybe worth replacing them both.

Let me know if you have any questions. It looks like I need to change the date on my camera
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_5158.JPG (469.2 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg 100_5160.JPG (424.2 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg 100_5156.JPG (382.0 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg 100_5157.JPG (449.4 KB, 157 views)

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 07-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Re: Cruise control fixed...finally

Hi Alia, I'm no expert, but the transmission will not shift into 4th gear until the engine reaches a certain temp and CC will not engage until 4th gear plus overdrive is engaged. The tranny has to get to a certain temp [I think 160 degrees] also to lock up. So it seems that those owners with PWR rads or oversized tranny coolers sometimes can't get into lock up, or it shifts in and out of lock up. Especially in the cold months. Of course in your case it just might be a component of the system has gone, get this Trevor,wonky. Take care, BOBB