SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX
Re: FWD vs AWD

Mine was FWD then I got it converted to AWD. Thew FWD was definatly a little quicker to go from a start being lighter and all but the AWD corners better still fast off the line with the 4.44 and can handle the snow/rough terrain. If you go AWD you'll need pretty much the entire rear half of an AWD SVX like struts/hubs/rear end, some wiring, etc.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 04-13-2010, 05:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg

I let someone drive my FWD before all the Modds. They told me that it felt alot more responcive then theirs. They could be just the result of the lighter wieght. The FWD is several hundred pounds lighter. Lighter tranny, no rear diff, no center shaft, or rear shafts.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:54 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg View Post
I let someone drive my FWD before all the Modds. They told me that it felt alot more responcive then theirs. They could be just the result of the lighter wieght. The FWD is several hundred pounds lighter. Lighter tranny, no rear diff, no center shaft, or rear shafts.
Plus the lower diff ratio. 3.7:1 against 3.5:1.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:56 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
Mine was FWD then I got it converted to AWD. Thew FWD was definatly a little quicker to go from a start being lighter and all but the AWD corners better still fast off the line with the 4.44 and can handle the snow/rough terrain. If you go AWD you'll need pretty much the entire rear half of an AWD SVX like struts/hubs/rear end, some wiring, etc.
I could accept that Seth. It would probably be fairer to compare a 4.444 FWD with a 4.444 AWD, just to even up the odds.

The FWD will still be lighter and faster, the AWD will be more stable and grippy in poor traction conditions.
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Plus the lower diff ratio. 3.7:1 against 3.5:1.

Harvey.
Harvey are you saying the FWD final drive ratio is 3.700? I was not too sure on that.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Joe,

The FWD ratio was 3.70 for all fwd from what I understand.

As far as the handling not sure, I'll let you know once I put up my newly converted one. There is a difference, and a big one, in the types of steering. That being between the RPM and speed sensitive.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles

Last edited by Wikedjuggalo; 04-13-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Harvey are you saying the FWD final drive ratio is 3.700? I was not too sure on that.

Joe
Yes Joe, thats as far as I know from the reports that I have read.

I think you can sum up the differences between the three types of drive, by looking at the way they handle a tight corner.

The FWD has to supply all the drive force, and all the change of direction force, so the front tyres reach their slip angle earlier, to under-steer.

The 4EAT depends on how much rear drive is applied. If the pedal is down, there is more rear drive, but if it is lifted, under-steer happens.

The VTD has most of the drive from the rear, but it also has the drive to the front to pull the wheels in the direction of change, the torque split will never drop below 36/64.
This amount of drive to the front wheels varies with the amount of steering, the tighter the turn, the more drive. The practical difference is with tight turns under throttle. The car just goes around with maximum drive, and steering grip.

Though, I might be biased.
Harvey.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:49 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
Good information however his problem is not converting from a FWD, he was thinking of converting a awd to fwd well not really but that would have been the end result.

His auto trans is or has failed he was looking at a jdm trans on ebay cheap but not having the rear gear ratio to match the front he knew he would have a problem. Thought he could have only the front pull him around.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
Good information however his problem is not converting from a FWD, he was thinking of converting a awd to fwd well not really but that would have been the end result.

His auto trans is or has failed he was looking at a jdm trans on ebay cheap but not having the rear gear ratio to match the front he knew he would have a problem. Thought he could have only the front pull him around.
Yes there is no way you can have only the front wheels driving, on a VTD.

Harvey.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to trueblue
Registered SVX

I have been in an autocross only once in my life, and that was in a 1970 stock Opel GT. It was a fun experience in a good looking but badly underpowered car, that was a dog on the track.

If the SVX was a lighter car with more power, I think it would blow the doors off a WRX in a autocross because of the lower profile.

The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see. -Winston Churchill

My baby: 94 lsi
My fast baby: 2001 Suzuki Marauder
My new baby: 2010 Subaru Outback
Old 04-14-2010, 01:52 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Yes Joe, thats as far as I know from the reports that I have read.

I think you can sum up the differences between the three types of drive, by looking at the way they handle a tight corner.

The FWD has to supply all the drive force, and all the change of direction force, so the front tyres reach their slip angle earlier, to under-steer.

The 4EAT depends on how much rear drive is applied. If the pedal is down, there is more rear drive, but if it is lifted, under-steer happens.

The VTD has most of the drive from the rear, but it also has the drive to the front to pull the wheels in the direction of change, the torque split will never drop below 36/64.
This amount of drive to the front wheels varies with the amount of steering, the tighter the turn, the more drive. The practical difference is with tight turns under throttle. The car just goes around with maximum drive, and steering grip.

Though, I might be biased.
Harvey.
Thanks Harvey. I was outlining the general characteristics of the three available types for True Blue because his first and second post showed he had a less than perfect understanding of what could be involved.

Even with the VTD if you brake into a tight bend [as you must in autocross] the rear end will rise up and roll as the turn is made by the SVX. Although the AWD does assert grip when power is re-applied it still makes the SVX a ponderous handler in these situations as the roll centre is higher than ideal. Nevin's bigger rear antisway bar corrects that problem.

Does anybody know what is the rear antisway bar diameter on a WRX or an Sti? That would be an interesting comparison and I suspect I know the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
I have been in an autocross only once in my life, and that was in a 1970 stock Opel GT. It was a fun experience in a good looking but badly underpowered car, that was a dog on the track.

If the SVX was a lighter car with more power, I think it would blow the doors off a WRX in a autocross because of the lower profile.
You could actually buy a gearbox from Japan that was front drive only which would work if you also installed the JDM TCU that matched it. Electrically it would still be a difficult modification, so I'm not advising that, go for the 4.444.

It brings back my earlier comment about a FWD model SVX with the larger rear sway bar being the ultimate autocross SVX.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-14-2010, 05:20 AM

Registered SVX

Kia ora Joe,

In respect of ordinary front biased road cars, with normal roll centres, the cornering situation you describe, calls for increased roll resistance at the front, rather than the rear. Under hard braking, there is sudden additional weight transfer to the front, turn in then throws this extra weight quite violently to the outside front wheel. N.B. In this situation, the car rolls around a corner to corner axis, inside front to outside rear, rather than around a longitudinal centre line.

With added front stiffness the car becomes more responsive to steering, and this allows the driver to do what he will with the rear end, which he will have cast loose when weight transfers. This is how a real driver likes a car set up, regardless of any theory. Photos of aggressive drivers cornering, always show the inside front wheel slightly off the deck. This is evidence which can no be denied.

As the rear becomes unloaded, rear roll stiffness across the car has little stabilising effect in hard cornering and can be detrimental. If the front is allowed to roll, added stiffness will cause the inside rear wheel to unload and lose traction, when power is applied to control the back end. This is due to the roll occurring on a corner to corner axis.

In your part of the world, many are hooked on the fun available driving a classic three wheeled Morgan, for the good reason that they roll on three corners.

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-14-2010, 05:27 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Ken, I've owned both FWD and AWD (and even a RWD) SVX...
I think the only reason the FWD was a tick faster in the quarter mile was due more to the lower gearing than the small weight difference..

And as for handling the AWD is definitely better in the twistys
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 04-14-2010, 06:32 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Kia ora Joe,

In respect of ordinary front biased road cars, with normal roll centres, the cornering situation you describe, calls for increased roll resistance at the front, rather than the rear. Under hard braking, there is sudden additional weight transfer to the front, turn in then throws this extra weight quite violently to the outside front wheel. N.B. In this situation, the car rolls around a corner to corner axis, inside front to outside rear, rather than around a longitudinal centre line.

With added front stiffness the car becomes more responsive to steering, and this allows the driver to do what he will with the rear end, which he will have cast loose when weight transfers. This is how a real driver likes a car set up, regardless of any theory. Photos of aggressive drivers cornering, always show the inside front wheel slightly off the deck. This is evidence which can no be denied.

As the rear becomes unloaded, rear roll stiffness across the car has little stabilising effect in hard cornering and can be detrimental. If the front is allowed to roll, added stiffness will cause the inside rear wheel to unload and lose traction, when power is applied to control the back end. This is due to the roll occurring on a corner to corner axis.

In your part of the world, many are hooked on the fun available driving a classic three wheeled Morgan, for the good reason that they roll on three corners.

Cheers, Trevor.
Good points Trevor and evidence which I don't intend to deny. The points you make though have more relevance for FWD dynamics than they do for the SVX AWD chassis.

Faster Golf GTi driving classically shows this stiffer front anti-roll bar effect off very well. Aggressive drivers can have the inside rear wheel pawing the air all the time on tight bends. The roll axis is definitely front inner to rear outer. You can accept I'm sure that in the SVX having the inner rear driven wheel up in the air in tight bends is not necessarily going to be good for getting power to the road in a AWD vehicle. So the SVX chassis and suspension is not really set up to FWD parameters I know you will agree.

Harry sent me some links to videos of his SVX autocrossing. He is obviously a useful man behind the wheel as shown by his times, but the rear of the SVX is doing some serious rocking and rolling on the circuits. Graham who used to fettle and race Imprezas [before he discovered the SVX] remarked on this to me many, many moons ago. The rear of the SVX is set up for comfort, not tied down for sporty cornering.

My point is tightening up the rear of the SVX is an automatic given improvement to handling. The front end does not roll much as standard. I feel a thicker anti roll bar than standard on the front could well disimprove the handling.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-14-2010, 06:40 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369 View Post
Ken, I've owned both FWD and AWD (and even a RWD) SVX...
I think the only reason the FWD was a tick faster in the quarter mile was due more to the lower gearing than the small weight difference..

And as for handling the AWD is definitely better in the twistys
I'll agree totally on the AWD handling better Huck.

Are you absolutely sure that is the only reason for the FWD improvement though? For most racing heads, losing weight takes on a god-like significance . Plus take into account also that the FWD is unable to take advantage of rear weight transfer on launch, with the front end scrabbling for grip.

It would be an interesting comparison to run a head to head test between a US AWD with 3.545 final drive and a European AWD one with 3.700 final drive. That might settle the issue.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl