How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2002, 08:21 AM

OT: Nissan Skyline?

Does anyone know if Nissan produced right-hand-drive "Nissan Skylines"?
I have just seen left-hand-drive Skylines yet.

thanx for information
Old 08-13-2002, 09:13 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: OT: Nissan Skyline?

Quote:
Originally posted by MartyMcFly
Does anyone know if Nissan produced right-hand-drive "Nissan Skylines"?
I have just seen left-hand-drive Skylines yet.

thanx for information
That's a fascinating thing to read, and the reason it's interesting to me answers your question:

I have only seen right-hand-drive Skylines.

JDM Skylines are RHD. As a matter of fact, the only Skyline I've ever seen that was LHD was the concept at this year's auto show.

For what countries were LHD Skylines produced, and have you seen all recent versions? (R32, R33, R34)

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 08-13-2002, 03:36 PM

Talking Oops!

sorry, you are right mr. pocket!
I haven't seen that I changed the meaning
but you already answered my question.
I wanted to know if they produced any LHD.

thanx
Old 08-13-2002, 05:31 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Right?

Marty, when you come over to Ireland for the next big meet, be careful which side of the road you drive your SVX on, OK?

Joe

BTW, almost bought a Skyline before the SVX. I like them a lot!
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 08-13-2002, 10:44 PM
"high" in Colorado

Skyline

What is a Skyline? Was there a US version??

Wasn't that a Ford model in 57?....or was that a Skyliner....
81 280ZX
91 Legacy wagon
86 Pontiac Parisenne (55k)
86 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
81 KZ 1000 LTD (shaft)
Old 08-14-2002, 12:40 AM

:)

@ svxistentialist --> I will take care
how do you handle that, when you are driving your RHD on LHD-roads (is it a problem for you)?

@subymtnguy --> In my opinion one of the fastest streetcars
you can get them up to 1200 horsepower and by the way I like the styling of them.

http://www.skyline-nissan.com

mfg hrc
Old 08-14-2002, 06:05 AM
SVXtypeR

Re: :)

Quote:
how do you handle that, when you are driving your RHD on LHD-roads (is it a problem for you)?

you can get them up to 1200 horsepower and by the way I like the styling of them.

mfg hrc
After doing much research, I feel pretty confident in saying that apart from the odd recent concept, there are *no* LHD Skylines in existance. I have a great love for these cars also (I actually tried to get a job in Japan a few years ago just so I'd have an excuse to buy one!).

Anybody know how much MotorRex is charging for making an R-34 US-spec if you didn't buy it from them?
Old 08-14-2002, 09:09 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: :)

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXtypeR

After doing much research, I feel pretty confident in saying that apart from the odd recent concept, there are *no* LHD Skylines in existance. I have a great love for these cars also (I actually tried to get a job in Japan a few years ago just so I'd have an excuse to buy one!).

Anybody know how much MotorRex is charging for making an R-34 US-spec if you didn't buy it from them?
I agree - I have never seen any evidence of a LHD Skyline. I have heard rumors of wealthy US owners converting them to LHD. Not only does this sounds outrageously expensive, I have never seen any photos to prove that such a concersion has ever been completed.

As for your question, I've read it a dozen times now and I still don't understand it. Are you asking how much MotoRex is charging for their US conversion of the car to make it legal? I have no idea, but MotoRex is the only way I know that you're going to get one and drive it legally. So, while their asking price seems high, they don't have any competition - and are unlikely to encounter any.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 08-14-2002, 11:18 AM
SVXtypeR

Re: Re: Re: :) UPDATED

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

I agree - I have never seen any evidence of a LHD Skyline. I have heard rumors of wealthy US owners converting them to LHD. Not only does this sounds outrageously expensive, I have never seen any photos to prove that such a concersion has ever been completed.

As for your question, I've read it a dozen times now and I still don't understand it. Are you asking how much MotoRex is charging for their US conversion of the car to make it legal? I have no idea, but MotoRex is the only way I know that you're going to get one and drive it legally. So, while their asking price seems high, they don't have any competition - and are unlikely to encounter any.

Sorry bout' that...

MotoRex charges $80k+ USD for a US-spec'd R-34. If I managed to procure my *own* J-Spec R-34, how much would they charge to simply "convert" it? Given that a primo J-spec R-34 can be had for around $40k USD, I'm left with the ASSumption that the conversion costs about $40 grand. I'm wondering if they would charge less than $40k if I got my own car (my rationale is, I'd rather search for the car on my own, cuz' I'm sure I could find it for a better deal than what MotorRex could give me).

UPDATED!!!

I just went to MotoRex's site. They now have basic pricing for conversion.

The actual conversion BYOS (bring your own Skyline) runs from $16k-$15k USD. Other crap (import tarrifs etc... runs about $4K-$5K USD

Last edited by SVXtypeR; 08-14-2002 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:54 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: :) UPDATED

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXtypeR

Sorry bout' that...

MotoRex charges $80k+ USD for a US-spec'd R-34. If I managed to procure my *own* J-Spec R-34, how much would they charge to simply "convert" it? Given that a primo J-spec R-34 can be had for around $40k USD, I'm left with the ASSumption that the conversion costs about $40 grand. I'm wondering if they would charge less than $40k if I got my own car (my rationale is, I'd rather search for the car on my own, cuz' I'm sure I could find it for a better deal than what MotorRex could give me).

UPDATED!!!

I just went to MotoRex's site. They now have basic pricing for conversion.

The actual conversion BYOS (bring your own Skyline) runs from $16k-$15k USD. Other crap (import tarrifs etc... runs about $4K-$5K USD
That's pretty cool, but I still don't know that I'd consider it 'worth it.' Yeah, the Skyline is probably one kick-ass car to drive - but RHD is neither convenient nor SAFE on roads made for LHD cars.

Like, you'd have the power to pass probably anything, but wouldn't actually be able to pass safely without a well-trained passenger spotting for you.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 08-15-2002, 06:51 AM
SVXtypeR

It's not problem, I'm used to it...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

That's pretty cool, but I still don't know that I'd consider it 'worth it.' Yeah, the Skyline is probably one kick-ass car to drive - but RHD is neither convenient nor SAFE on roads made for LHD cars.

Like, you'd have the power to pass probably anything, but wouldn't actually be able to pass safely without a well-trained passenger spotting for you.
I've driven plenty of RHD cars on US bases overseas, also driven LHD in Japan and HongKong. The biggest problem was coming back home!!

I actually learned to drive a stick in a RHD truck!
Old 08-15-2002, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
As long as we're talking about Skylines...

How does the AWD system on those work? I've never been able to find a good picture/diagram of it. Anyone?

(sounds of gears in brain working to match the Skyline tranny to the SVX )

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 08-15-2002, 11:12 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Switch hitter...

<- but RHD is neither convenient nor SAFE on roads made for LHD cars. Like, you'd have the power to pass probably anything, but wouldn't actually be able to pass safely without a well-trained passenger spotting for you>

While in England, I had both a MG Midget and a Triumph Spitfire...both LHD. Trusting Jean's observations in the right seat, helped cement our young marriage!

One summer, we drove around Europe for a month. Drive to Dover on the left. Cross the Channel. Reading "Stay right!" signs for miles. (French roundabouts are different from British ones!) The reverse on the way back; "Stay left!"....fun!

Sure makes you think when you come to an intersection.... Don
Old 08-16-2002, 01:43 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Smile Re: :)

Quote:

mfg hrc
Marty

I own a LHD three seater Matra Murena, which was my main everyday transport for four years. I have no trouble driving it, even on the narrowest roads. You get used to driving in what is naturally the passenger seat.

I would partially agree with other comments here, regards driving from the "wrong" side of the car Seeing past slower traffic for overtaking is safe enough, you learn to look up the inside of trucks on bends, and blast past when safe. On main roads with queques of slow moving vans an so on, the situation is less satisfactory. Often, before you can move out enough to spot a clearance, cars behind have already seen one and gone for it, so you get passed by a lot of lesser mortals. It's a bit easier with a trustworthy navigator, but I'm not the trusting sort.

Another less obvious change is the view when charging down narrow twisting roads. Driving from the outside seat, you are naturally placed near the middle of the road, and can see around right and left bends as you approach. Driving on the inner seat, you can see totally clearly and early for one bend, and are blind for the other side, and have to drive around it as if you might meet a car coming the other way. This makes for an interesting driving style. You can blast around half of the bends on the limit, absolutely scaring any passenger witless, but have to pull back to sensible speed for the opposite bends.

Other than that, driving in towns, parking, any other driving you might do is the same as the "correct" way.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 08-16-2002, 01:48 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Joyriders

One other factor I forgot. If your steering wheel is on the wrong side, you can almost leave the car open. Joyriders are not interested in stealing it.

If it gets to a chase from the police[which they like in a powerful car], they are disadvantaged for the crazy overtaking manouvers they do. They can't see forward, so there is a higher chance of crashing, or the police catching them. So they will leave your car alone, unless they want it for parts. I never had an attempted theft in the LHD, but the SVX was tried within three months.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl