Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-28-2009, 08:11 PM

CV Boot Done in

Noticed my front, outer passanger side CV boot is fully split in two. I have a Ebay special on its way. Any advise or step by steps would be great.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:46 AM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: CV Boot Done in

Got a link to the ebay auctions? I'm curious..
Old 10-30-2009, 05:07 PM

here ya go:

http://stores.shop.ebay.ca/GARO-STEE...26480?_nkw=svx

Any help out there?............
Old 10-30-2009, 07:44 PM

Send the boot kit back and buy a reman axle assembly. Trust me, you'll thank yourself in the end.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

You can get a complete axle with new boots and a lifetime warranty from http://www.rxales.com or Advance Auto Parts for about $70.00 each.

Click HERE

Or you can go to Subaruparts.com and you can get the identical part (28021PA061) for $368.72 each. Guaranteed for a year or 12,000 miles.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 11-03-2009, 01:19 PM

Hi,

I had the same issue on both sides a few weeks ago and replaced all 4 boots on the front axles. While I was at it I decided to replace the ball joints as well, which really improved steering behaviour.

There are two write ups somewhere on both topics, axle replacement and ball joint replacement. Also you might want to have a look in the manual section.

Besides: I did not pay attention to the alignment of the trunion (in relation to the ball joint). I am curious to learn, how they are alligned on the OEM part, so please let me know...

Good Luck!

Marcus

PS: You will need to replace some parts by new ones (self locking nuts etc. should not be reused)
Old 11-04-2009, 01:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to redlinedeath Send a message via Yahoo to redlinedeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Hi,

I had the same issue on both sides a few weeks ago and replaced all 4 boots on the front axles. While I was at it I decided to replace the ball joints as well
where did you find the balljoints? i couldnt source them at work. or swaybar endlinks for the front!!
Old 11-04-2009, 02:10 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinedeath View Post
where did you find the balljoints? i couldnt source them at work. or swaybar endlinks for the front!!
Ball joints are only factory for the SVX, Raul. Advance won't have em

Just like so many other parts, dealership only item as the aftermarket companies, i.e. the ones who make parts for Advance, Autozone, etc., won't make them as it is not profitable for them with so few cars produced.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to redlinedeath Send a message via Yahoo to redlinedeath

dang i better get on that, theyre not flopping around, but they definately dont have the tight feel new ones do if you hold them in your hads. as for the end links... those are pretty bad... like really bad. and i cant get them off!
Old 11-04-2009, 02:29 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinedeath View Post
dang i better get on that, theyre not flopping around, but they definately dont have the tight feel new ones do if you hold them in your hads. as for the end links... those are pretty bad... like really bad. and i cant get them off!
Yeah, they were rough on my parts car so I just eventually gave up on them. As for the ball joints, they're about $65 each off of subaruparts.com if I remember correctly but people have had problems with their delivery times. I used 1stsubaruparts.com and got those as well as a bunch of other parts I ordered in about a week. 1stsub doesn't have the part diagrams so you'll need to get the part numbers off the subaruparts.com diagrams.

or here

ball joints are part No. 20220PA000 and they were $59.64 with a list price of $82.83

Sorry for the hijack here...
Old 11-05-2009, 09:39 AM

Besides the rubber boots (which I bought at rockautoparts.com quite a while ago) I replaced the following OEM parts:

2 x 20220PA000 Ball Joint Compl.
2 x 023510006 self locking nut
6 x 023512006 self locking nut
2 x 28015PA010 Oil Seal Inner (because the manual reccomended this)
2 x 905190005 spring pin

Again, please watch out for the allignment of the trunion in relation to the six balls of the ball joint and let me know. Not because it is importand when doing the reassembly (several knowledgable people reassured me it´s not), but because I am curious to know (nobody could tell me this far how it is assembled by the factory).

Thanks!

Marcus
Old 11-14-2009, 11:59 AM

Thanks guys.
Threw in the towel when I didn't have a socket for the wheel nut. I had a buddy at Master Mechanic do it for me. The axel was $195 CDN + labour. So I now have a spare rubber boot kit; AyeJaye was right.