How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2009, 11:06 AM

It's official, and sad.

Jalopnik today posted the entire list of cars that were turned in as part of Cash for Clunkers. 123 SVX's went to their deaths for either $3500 or $4500. Here is the list:

1992 SVX 67
1994 SVX 10
1995 SVX 1
1993 SVX AWD 4
1994 SVX AWD 15
1995 SVX AWD 16
1996 SVX AWD 8
1997 SVX AWD 2

I don't know why some were designated just SVX and others SVX AWD, I'm just reporting what I read on the document.

Here's the full link:

http://jalopnik.com/5369762/the-full...nkers-trade+in

Joel
Old 09-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: It's official, and sad.

They had good company. From Autoweek.com:

[By now, the high-profile casualties of cash-for-clunkers are well documented: a Bentley Continental R and an Aston Martin DB7 Volante from 1997 and a 1985 Maserati Quattroporte all perished under the government-funded incentive program.

But scratching beneath the surface reveals that scores of everyday enthusiast rides such as Mustangs, Camaros and even some Corvettes met ignominious endings by having their engines destroyed and their bodies crushed.

While it’s likely that many of the nearly 700,000 clunkers turned in actually were at the end of their roads, the final report released by the government reveals the demise of plenty of affordable, likely still-fixable cars that could have been enjoyed by collectors of all ages.

Ford’s sales were boosted considerably by the clunkers incentive, and the Focus was the fourth best-seller among new cars bought under the program. But many of its favorite cars of yesteryear were scrapped--most notably, the stable of Mustangs on the nation’s roads is considerably smaller. A total of 1,611 pony cars from 1984 to 2008 were turned in, including--surprisingly--one ’08 model. Yes, many of these were the forgettable rides of the 1980s and ’90s, before the car was remade similar to its original iconic form earlier this decade, but it’s still a considerable figure of sportier-than-average cars taken off the road.

The Blue Oval also saw the end of 107 Taurus SHOs from 1993 to 1999, and a whopping 3,061 Thunderbirds from 1984 to 1995. Stunningly, a 2005 T-Bird, one of the 1950s-styled coupes Ford brought back on a limited basis, also was slated for scrapping.

Luxury cars were not immune to the crusher, either. A 1999 Mercedes C43 AMG, a 2000 Jaguar XK8 convertible and a 1998 BMW Z3 Roadster will not be buffed or polished again. Additionally, two 1991 BMWs, a M3 and a M5 never again will be ultimate driving machines, and a slew of 7-series, including 100 from 1988, are done.

The Continental R was perhaps the single most infamous car taken off the road. In addition to its inglorious clunkers ending, the car also is notable because 70 percent of all Bentleys ever built are still in existence, though that’s a pre-clunkers figure released by the company.

Other top-shelf rides that saw the reaper included a 1989 Maserati 222E and four 1985 Biturbos.

The Cadillac of clunkers was the Escalade, as 72 copies of the hulking, fuel-hungry luxury ute are toast, with 68 of those from the 1999 to 2000 model years. More than a little surprising: a 2006 STS sedan also received a death sentence.

The General Motors brands also lost plenty of rides favored by car guys and gals. Corvette fans will miss 131 versions the sports car from 1984 to 1995, including 34 convertibles. And though the Camaro crowd rejoiced at the car’s return this year, 1,007 of its predecessors are now history, including at least eight from every year from 1984 to 2000. The early ’90s were particularly brutal, with 127 from 1991 and 116 from 1992 getting handed a blind fold and cigarette.

One Camaro sibling, a 1989 20th Anniversary Trans-Am, also a bit unexpectedly was on the list, as was a 2002 Firebird. They’re joined by a 1987 Buick Grand National GNX, an intercooled, turbocharged marvel highly sought after by collectors.

Perhaps a bit less iconic, 61 Pontiac Fieros from 1985 to 1988 were turned over, and one of the ultimate beater cars, the 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, was trimmed by 185 models.

The third Detroit-based automaker, Chrysler, was the victim of four of the newest clunker trade-ins. One 300 all-wheel-drive model from 2008, two from 2007 and a Hemi-powered ’05 all won’t live to see what plans Fiat has in store for their maker.

One owner of a 2006 Nissan 350Z also turned over the keys, as did those of two 2006 Roush Stage 3 F-150s. Two 2008 Foose F-150s also were among the customs that had a date with the crusher.

Thirteen Porsches and 28 Alfa Romeos also are off the road.

All told, cash-for-clunkers resulted in almost $2.9 billion in rebate claims and boosted the economy considerably this summer. The nation’s fleet is undoubtedly more fuel-efficient, but fewer Mustangs, Camaros and even the random Bentley means it’s also a bit less fun.]

Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 09-29-2009, 12:46 PM

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

I've been avoiding reading anything on this subject since the beginning of August so this is the first I've seen of that list of special cars that were scrapped.

But I just find most of it unbeliveable. Is there any explanation as to how some of those cars ended up getting killed???

Hate to say it, but I can see how the SVXes were "justified" - we all went through those long threads on here every week during the program. Still doesn't make it right, but I can at least see how some people could work out the dollars on that transaction.

But on a lot of the cars in that article, HOW did it happen? IRC, for the program the car had to be registered, in good running order, have all it's parts to be street legal, etc. So it's not like those cars were totalled or something. Hell, some of those cars in the article are worth more than $4500 even if there were totalled, which obviously they couldn't be.

So what gives? Were there a lot of rich people doing this on purpose to make some kind of statement?

3/4 of the cars mentioned in that article I would have gladly given the owner $4,501 for in any condition.

It just doesn't make sense.

Well what's next?

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 09-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? What kind of FRIGGIN MORON would turn in a newer 350z ?? Or an M5?? A C43 AMG ???

For a 3500 to 4500 trade in, these idiots gave up way more than $10,000 in private party sale money. This sort of thing makes me want to laugh and cry for my country at the same time....

I hope these people feel really stupid now while they lament in their ford focuses and toyota corollas.... you deserve it jerks.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:01 PM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

I'm just assuming those cars had to be reaallly messed up in some way or another. Or they just have more money than they know what to do with and wanted an article written on them.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:02 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
Is there any explanation as to how some of those cars ended up getting killed???
It's entirely possible that they had some things quite wrong with them. If a dealer could have resold some of these cars for six large or more, wouldn't they have preferred to have taken them as trades instead of processing the CfC paperwork, with questionable government reimbursement lead times and further responsibility of scrap stock?

I think seeing some of these cars (or sitting in them - you never know!) might make this a little easier to accept.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
It's entirely possible that they had some things quite wrong with them. If a dealer could have resold some of these cars for six large or more, wouldn't they have preferred to have taken them as trades instead of processing the CfC paperwork, with questionable government reimbursement lead times and further responsibility of scrap stock?

I think seeing some of these cars (or sitting in them - you never know!) might make this a little easier to accept.
EXACTLY! this is what I was thinking all along. Realistically you guys are getting all in an uproar over cars you have never even seen.

Trust me dealers stop at nothing to make money (we all know this right?)...if the dealer left it go to CfC then I'm sure it was a piece of crap.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeman90 View Post
EXACTLY! this is what I was thinking all along. Realistically you guys are getting all in an uproar over cars you have never even seen.

Trust me dealers stop at nothing to make money (we all know this right?)...if the dealer left it go to CfC then I'm sure it was a piece of crap.
The dealers thought they were going to get the money directly from the government, and were selling a new car out of their inventory.

Some of them probably just tossed those old, albeit rare cars, rather than try to send them to auction or keep them around a long time trying to sell them.

A bentley with a hypothetical dented fender still costs money to fix, and then try to sell. But it is still a bentley, I mean, c'mon!

I would like to think that people are smarter than to destroy stuff like that...

But this program has shaken my esteem of the general public's intelligence by it's mere existence, and the fact that some people are calling for it's extension.

So I suffer far less delusions of the intelligence of car dealers AND car buyers, after this debacle. I don't assume that any of them are smart enough to tie their own shoes at this point, and that is an unfortunate bit of faith to lose in other people.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan

I cant believe how high that number is. thats had to be a good chunk of the % left in existence....

As long as I always have one, IDK.

James
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!
Old 09-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Soobologist

Registered SVX

maybe our cars just got more valuable?

I know I almost accounted for one less SVX today but you can blame the Rav 4 driver for that one.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:29 PM
Soobologist

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post
So I suffer far less delusions of the intelligence of car dealers AND car buyers, after this debacle. I don't assume that any of them are smart enough to tie their own shoes at this point, and that is an unfortunate bit of faith to lose in other people.
There is no way in Heck that a dealer will take a car that is actually worth 10k and let the Govt' buy it for $4500. They will let you think that the Govt' is taking it but your car is going out the back door and living again somewhere else.

There are not too many people in this world that are as ruthless as a car dealer. The folks that did let the cars go (say the Bentley for example) did it to get more business. "hey look at us we are such an awesome dealer that we took a Bentley in on the CfC program"
Old 09-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX

The cash for clunkers incentive was meant to be a seperate entity from any other offers put forth by the dealers..It's quite possible the poeple trading in cars that are seemingly worth more than 4500$ (0r 3500$) are getting that sum PLUS whatever the dealer wants to offer in cash back bonuses, discounts, or wack waving inflatable arm flailing tube men. I call shenanigans on alot of the trade ins, weather the incentive ever actually processed, incorrect vin#'s being entered, or just some shady dealership doing whatever shady dealerships do.
Also keep in mind, the list is as the dealers reported. Theese are cars that were turned in, or possibly even just inquiries. The REAL clunker list that's worth looking for (if such a thing is ever compiled) would be coming from the authorized scrap yards actually crushing the ill fated vehicles
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 09-30-2009, 12:11 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythrenegade View Post
Jalopnik today posted the entire list of cars that were turned in as part of Cash for Clunkers. 123 SVX's went to their deaths for either $3500 or $4500. Here is the list:

1992 SVX 67
1994 SVX 10
1995 SVX 1
1993 SVX AWD 4
1994 SVX AWD 15
1995 SVX AWD 16
1996 SVX AWD 8
1997 SVX AWD 2

I don't know why some were designated just SVX and others SVX AWD, I'm just reporting what I read on the document.

Here's the full link:

http://jalopnik.com/5369762/the-full...nkers-trade+in

Joel
The reason some were just SVX and the others were labeled as AWD (I think) is that the 94, and 95s were FWD. All of the 92s were AWD, but they didn't mention that. All of the others were AWD. The only ones mentioned twice were the 94s and 95s, which were the only years that had both AWD and FWD.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 09-30-2009, 02:05 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: It's official, and sad. Shenanigans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric View Post
The cash for clunkers incentive was meant to be a seperate entity from any other offers put forth by the dealers..It's quite possible the poeple trading in cars that are seemingly worth more than 4500$ (0r 3500$) are getting that sum PLUS whatever the dealer wants to offer in cash back bonuses, discounts, or wack waving inflatable arm flailing tube men. I call shenanigans on alot of the trade ins, weather the incentive ever actually processed, incorrect vin#'s being entered, or just some shady dealership doing whatever shady dealerships do.
Also keep in mind, the list is as the dealers reported. Theese are cars that were turned in, or possibly even just inquiries. The REAL clunker list that's worth looking for (if such a thing is ever compiled) would be coming from the authorized scrap yards actually crushing the ill fated vehicles
Eric is right.

Dealers are experts at finding where the money is in a deal.

Some of the listed models make zero sense to me, such as the late model T-bird and the 2006 350Z.

But say for argument that the 350Z had intergalactic mileage and the engine was knocking, about to be sick and expensive. Then you have a car with a face value of, I dunno, what? $15K? facing an engine repair bill of $8k. This would leave the sick puppy worth maybe $7k nett. So the trade in gets the CFC subsidy of $4500 leaving the rest of the car other than the must-be-scrapped drivetrain worth $2500.

So the dealer lets the car off to a dedicated scrappage facility for $3k making 500 bucks on the basis the scrap yard can totally strip and pull all useful parts from the car [within the allowed time] and sell them at a profit.

Could the scrappage facility get $3k for these parts? You bet. The leather seats could be worth that.

I don't know your street prices so the numbers I used might not be right, but I'm sure you catch the logic of it. Even doing the numbers I'm still appalled at the waste of collectors' cars here.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl