SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2009, 01:20 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Control arms and swaybars....

I've been hearing (and sometimes feeling) a clunk when turing to the right in parking lots and such. Took my car into a shop the other day to get everything looked at and here's what they came back with for that particular problem:

-front left swaybar bushing endlink worn and loose $69P & 59L
-swaybar bushing are dry and creaking $???
-left front control arm bushings leak grease and may clunk $633.15 plug alignment with new balljoint

The control arm bushing being the #1 culprit for the clunking problem, but unfortunately Subaru doesn't sell them seperately from the whole assembly. So it's also the most expensive on the list.

Does all this look about par for the course for a 200,000+ car? Any tips on saving money while still getting her back to 100% condition (my goal)?

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 04-28-2009, 01:25 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: Control arms and swaybars....

If you're up to it, you may be able to remove the control arm, remove the rubber bushing material, and make a new one with polyurethane. I'm planning on trying that this summer, the front bushing of my control arms are marshmellow-like. It's mainly caused by oil leaking onto them. The oil is soaked up by the rubber, the rubber swells and becomes soft.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 04-28-2009, 01:27 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
If you're up to it, you may be able to remove the control arm, remove the rubber bushing material, and make a new one with polyurethane. I'm planning on trying that this summer, the front bushing of my control arms are marshmellow-like. It's mainly caused by oil leaking onto them. The oil is soaked up by the rubber, the rubber swells and becomes soft.
Chris,

This is an idea I had also thought of when faced with the clunk on my Ebony. I replaced it with a used one for now, but will likely try the project sometime.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:34 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Is this bushing the only part of the control arm that would really need replacing ever?

Why wouldn't they not just make a replacement part? Or is it permanently built into there?

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 04-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
Chris,

This is an idea I had also thought of when faced with the clunk on my Ebony. I replaced it with a used one for now, but will likely try the project sometime.
I'm definitely planning on trying it this summer, so I'll take pictures and let you know how it comes out. My main concern is keeping the inner tube perfectly centered with the outer one, and lined up with the rear. If they go off-center is will throw the car's alignment completely out. That along with some new swaybar brackets welded on for my custom links (just finished them up in the machine shop ) and a good de-rusting and paint...should have the front suspension well on it's way to looking new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
Is this bushing the only part of the control arm that would really need replacing ever?

Why wouldn't they not just make a replacement part? Or is it permanently built into there?
The control arm itself it unlikely to ever need replacing short of being in an accident, but those sort of bushings are difficult to place in a high-stress part and still be removable. It's something that is rarely replaced, so I guess Subaru didn't deem it necessary to put in the engineering time to make them modular.

Your easiest bet would be to post a wanted add and see if anyone can supply you with a used control arm.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Last edited by Crazy_pilot; 04-28-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm

I'll probably have some new (exact fit) front swaybar bushings for sale soon. I'll be starting a new thread for them.