Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-17-2002, 07:48 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Question My car is ok with new radiator?

I got the new radiator and put it in. I hooked up a gauge to the overflow line and allowed pressure to get to the gauge. I cut a piece out of the gasket form the old radiator cap. Also used a tee with a valve to bleed off the pressure. Filled it with water so I don’t have to waste more coolant.

Started the engine and ran it until the thermostat opened with the cap off and then sealed it. Now the system would hold pressure. Rev-ed the engine a few times and the gauge would go up to say 2 psi (.14 bar) and when the fans came on the pressure went back down. So…… This looks pretty good. I repeated that a few times to make sure the pressure went back down.

Then I disconnected the gauge and hooked up the over flow tank. I drove the car a short distance and checked the overflow tank and did not here any noise coming from the cap. I drove a little further and all seems well. Drove a little harder and all seems well. Stopped in the driveway and shut it off and all was okay. After about 30 seconds I could hear some hissing out of the cap and bubbles popping to the surface in the overflow tank. So I guess this okay? Just some air coming out of the system I want to believe. I sure hope so. I am just so paranoid that my new $300 radiator is going to blow up.

So what did I do wrong when I filled the coolant system over the weekend? Is it because I did not run the engine with the radiator cap off until the thermostat opened? Then there was too much air in the system that did not vent out and this expanded when heated and blew the radiator. Or maybe it was that paper towel that came out when I was draining the water the other day? That may have been blocking a passage. But I am not sure it was in the engine. I just found it laying on the ground after I drained out the water. This would have caused overheating. Or maybe the head gasket is sealing up after sitting in water for a few days? It can’t do that because it is made out of carbon.

Confidence is low.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Hmm...sounds like things are working OK. I'd think it'll take a day or two to purge all the air out of the system, so keep an eye on it, and of course for leaks. If it is still sucking down coolant after a week or so, then I'd be worried.

Of course...Beav probably has the answer...

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 07-17-2002, 09:21 PM

Heater

To help purge all of the air out of the system always turn your heater to the highest setting. This will allow the air to be purged from the core.

Do this whenever you have to drop the coolant out of the system.

Mike
Old 07-17-2002, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stevebsy
Hmm...sounds like things are working OK. I'd think it'll take a day or two to purge all the air out of the system, so keep an eye on it, and of course for leaks. If it is still sucking down coolant after a week or so, then I'd be worried.

Of course...Beav probably has the answer...
Beav would be a help here.

Now I have to decide if I am going to Indiana.

(just for the record I posted this at 7:20 am 7-18-02. I don't know why the post time date is wrong.)
Old 07-17-2002, 11:42 PM

Re: Heater

Quote:
Originally posted by AutoTchr
To help purge all of the air out of the system always turn your heater to the highest setting. This will allow the air to be purged from the core.

Do this whenever you have to drop the coolant out of the system.

Mike
This makes sense to me if there is a valve that turns the coolant on/off to the heater core. But I think I have done that in the past to make sure the core has been vented out also. I didn't do that this time.

(The post time is 7:24am 7-18-02)

Last edited by svx_commuter; 07-17-2002 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-17-2002, 11:59 PM

Re: Hmm...

Quote:
Originally posted by Boone
Jeepers.. There was less trepidation near the end of the Manhattan Project... sounds like yer fixed.
It is more that my cash flow is very limited right now. AND I hope it is fixed. I just don't know for sure why it blew in the first place.
Old 07-18-2002, 12:08 AM
Boone

Hmm...

Jeepers.. There was less trepidation near the end of the Manhattan Project... sounds like yer fixed.
Old 07-18-2002, 05:30 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
If you don't see any oil in the radiator, nor never-ending bubbles, or water in the oil or ATF, I would just call it a near miss. I would also replace the t-stat (anytime a car overheats this is a good idea) and the radiator cap - just in case. It sounds like you just had a weak tank rupture. Keep an eye on it for a few days, but it sounds like you'rte going to be o.k.

Good Luck! Sorry we won't see you at the meet though...
Old 07-18-2002, 07:56 AM

I may still come. I am going to get the CO checked in the coolant in about 2 hrs. If that is okay I may decide to come.

Last edited by svx_commuter; 08-09-2002 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-18-2002, 11:13 AM

Good news I know why my radiator blew The head gasket/s is leaking or something else. The test for CO with the dark colored liquid indicates CO gas is present in the coolant. The dark colored liquid turned yellow after about 8 squeezes on the bulb. That pulls the gas into the liquid.

I broke my car.

Last edited by svx_commuter; 08-09-2002 at 07:11 AM.
Old 07-18-2002, 11:38 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Pounds per square inch .

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter

It is more that my cash flow is very limited right now. AND I hope it is fixed. I just don't know for sure why it blew in the first place.
John I don't think you blew a gasket. If it had enought of a leak to blow the tank open, then it wont fix itself.
You have reved the engine with the new radiator fitted, if it was blowen, it would have blowen water out the top every time you reved it.

As you say the split was 16 in long, !6 square in x 13lbs/square in = 208 pounds of pressure acting on the tank, brittle tank = POOF.

Don't forget to check the radiator level when cold, top it up and put the cap on so it can purge and refill from the overflow tank.

Stop worring, pack your bags and GO.
Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.