Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-10-2002, 04:56 PM

if you're getting noise while standing still and in park/neutral, then it's not the differential (because nothing inside it is trying to move around under those conditions). so then it has to be something that's always moving, like the flexplate, pump or other internal tranny part.
Old 07-10-2002, 05:51 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by kuoh
You make it sound so easy. Don't you have to unweld parts of the exhaust or something? And how high are your jackstands? I don't think my jack will even get that high let alone the jackstands.

KuoH

It isn't exactly easy, but it is not rocket science. You do not need a welder or torch - you can unbolt the exhaust where it connects to the headers and take it out as a single unit (if you live outside the rust belt - otherwise you may need to torch the bolts off at the headers) and then at the other hangers on the way back. The driveshaft will just about fall out of the car once unbolted. The half shafts are easy if you use beav's advice to remove the 3 bolts underneath instead of prying out the balljoint. The tranny will come out pretty easy once you remove all the bolts, electrical stuff, starter, hoses, and then jack up the front of the engine. It is very heavy though, and my technique of balancing it on a regular floor jack with some short 2x4's to support it will end up with the tranny falling out and landing on the garage floor once it slides off the mount studs and its weight shifts. Not a good idea. Rent a tranny jack.
I had to jack the car up, put it on jackstands, then use 2x4's with the floor jack to get it higher and then set it up again on the stands. The car has to be pretty high for the tranny to clear the bottom of the engine when dragging it out but I only have 4 standard 2 ton jackstands and it worked - not sure how high they were but I had the front of the car jacked as high as they would safely go.
With months passing since I did mine the memory of what a pain it was may have dwindled some but I would do it again in the garage if I had to.
The satisfaction of completing it yourself is priceless.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 07-10-2002, 06:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
I would think that if it were the diff, you wouldn't hear any noise when in park or neutral, since it wouldn't be getting and power. I suppose you could jack up the front end and turn one wheel and see if the other wheel moves. If it moves, then the result is inconclusive. If it doesn't, well then, you've narrow down the problem somewhat.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
A broken front diff would explain how far forward the noises seem to come from.
Old 07-10-2002, 07:15 PM

imortal_suby and others

I have pulled and replaced the SVX tranny twice on jackstands in my garage (if you have to know - I screwed up the first time by incorrectly installing the torque convertor).

I found a motorcycle jack to work wonderfully. I can't remember the brand, but I got it at Sam's and it lowers to a height of about 1.5 inches. It has two flat arms, about 3 inches in width, that are long enough, and spaced such that they support the tranny across the front/back edges of the pan. At maximum extension it's just about perfect for putting the tranny back given the height of my jackstands. The jackstands by the way are only tall enough to get the tranny in/out if if I take off a tire and push down a little on the bellhousing section to clear the subframe enough until it's safely in the hollow behind the engine. As another hint, I used two nylon strap-clamps to hold up the front of the engine. Strap-clamps are those things normally used in woodworking to keep ackward shapes in place while being glued up (I used two as insurance - not actually using the second until I got scared just watching the engine sitting there with just one thing preventing my radiator from being toast too). Ran the straps through the dogbone, over the fuel injectors, and closed the loop through the eyelet by the alternator/A/C compressor.

Just about the only other tools needed are a metric socket & wrench set. Oh, and for the jackstands - on the front I put them under the subframe by the engine so the tranny could roll in and out on the motorcycle jack - which has built-in rollers.

Beav's hint about the 3 bolts on each side was invaluable in shortening/easing the job. Oh, and I had the benefit of an electric 1/2" impact wrench for help on getting those and the exhaust studs loose.

The hardest, or maybe most tedious, part of the job for me was getting the 4 bolts connecting the TC to the flexplate off/on.

My second time assembling I went from trannny sitting on the jack next to the car, to driving away in about 2 hours.
Old 07-11-2002, 06:35 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Nick,

Took off the other head last night and checked it for flatness and possible gasket failur points. Couldn't find anything out of the ordinary so I'm putting it back together and taking my chances. The water pump may still be bad. It's coming off tonight.

So, what I'm saying is I'm going to re-assemble mine, but if you want to try and do a trans removal on the junker let me know as soon as possible and I'll rent a truck/trailer to get it to my house. Once there we can remove yours and replace it with the junkers, if it's OK (big ????? on the condition)

Todd
Old 07-11-2002, 08:23 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??
Nick,

Took off the other head last night and checked it for flatness and possible gasket failur points. Couldn't find anything out of the ordinary so I'm putting it back together and taking my chances. The water pump may still be bad. It's coming off tonight.

So, what I'm saying is I'm going to re-assemble mine, but if you want to try and do a trans removal on the junker let me know as soon as possible and I'll rent a truck/trailer to get it to my house. Once there we can remove yours and replace it with the junkers, if it's OK (big ????? on the condition)

Todd
Todd,

I'm glad to hear that your engine looks okay. I hope your car goes back together without difficulty.

As for the wrecked car, I'm willing to try if you are. I will look into how many miles of towing I really get from AAA.

Oh, and just in case, I'll call you at your office around noonish.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 07-11-2002, 09:09 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Ah, the clock is ticking. Brings back memories of the Vermont Fall Foliage Tour.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-11-2002, 10:08 AM

Registered SVX
I'm wondering whether I'm looking at a problem with the torque converter, and not the trannt or diff.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 07-11-2002, 01:25 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
I'm wondering whether I'm looking at a problem with the torque converter, and not the trannt or diff.
If you replace the whole schmear (with the tranny from Todd's junker), it really shouldn't matter. . . should it?

(Or, do you have a coloquial use for schmear that I don't know about like you do for "cattywhompus?" )
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-11-2002, 01:54 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

If you replace the whole schmear (with the tranny from Todd's junker), it really shouldn't matter. . . should it?

(Or, do you have a coloquial use for schmear that I don't know about like you do for "cattywhompus?" )
Well, we don't yet know whether that tranny is viable. It's so wrecked that I'm concerned the tranny case may be cracked or otherwise damaged.

I don't know how it was hit, but what if the tranny was shocked through the drive shaft - would that damage the case or at least some seals? I don't know. We're going to take a look at the car soon to determine whether or not it's even worth trying.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 07-11-2002, 04:07 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Access port

Here is the pic we spoke of earlier today. Find the rear engine lifting hook and go towards the center of the engine.

Tried to post pic here in message but couldn't. Wierd. I'll try to put in in my locker.
Old 07-11-2002, 04:58 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: imortal_suby and others

Quote:
Originally posted by lee
My second time assembling I went from trannny sitting on the jack next to the car, to driving away in about 2 hours.
Wow - now that is impressive.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 07-11-2002, 08:37 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
I talked to Nik on the phone a little while ago and he asked me to post this since he won't have internet until tomorrow.

His transmission works fine in forward and reverse until the tranny warms up. he drove it up and down his street until about 5 minutes in then it made the noise and tranny just slips.

You guys have any ideas what he could try?

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 07-12-2002, 06:37 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

So it works okay when the fluid is cold. Someone else suggested the cooler may be plugged. Pull the lines off, one at a time, the one to the cooler, the one after the cooler, and see if fluid comes out.

The good news is that it isn't any of the gears.
Old 07-12-2002, 07:28 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
So it works okay when the fluid is cold. Someone else suggested the cooler may be plugged. Pull the lines off, one at a time, the one to the cooler, the one after the cooler, and see if fluid comes out.

The good news is that it isn't any of the gears.
I doubt that the cooler is plugged - I just installed a B&M cooler, taking the stock out of the loop entirely. If that cooler was going to cause something, I imagine it would have during the 300mi of commuting the week before my 1,000mi road trip.

Still, maybe I should just unplug the B&M, hook up the stock cooler, and see what happens when I run like that.

Ironically, the whirring noise I hear after the car warms up sounds JUST LIKE a power steering pump under strain. So maybe the pump just isn't getting the volume it needs...

Grasping at straws?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE