Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-21-2008, 08:05 PM

climate control problem

ya i am having a vent problem. my heat will come out the window vents. but if i switch it to vents it is cold
Old 11-21-2008, 11:43 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
Re: climate control problem

You cannot get hot air out of anything but the floor or the defroster. Hot air comes out the floor, cold air comes out the vents, unless it's in "defrost" mode. The "vent" switch just opens the fresh air vent, moves the temperature door to "full cold" and shuts off the automatic climate control. There is also no way to adjust the temperature in this mode either. It irritates me too since sometimes I want hot air blowing on me, not just at my feet.
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 12-15-2008, 02:19 AM
SVX Addict

Send a message via MSN to BRADY Send a message via Skype™ to BRADY
Registered SVX

Any solution? Mine is doing similar things...
1992 SVX Mica Red/Black (Ruby Pearl) (ADM)- 290,000 kms. With Koni adjustable front shocks, THRICE o/hauled 4EAT with transmission cooler and now the 'QUICK CHANGE' unit, custom PWR aluminium radiator, replacement water pump, fuel pump, crank pulley, Pioneer 6 x 9 rear and 6 inch front speakers, Sony Head unit, rattles from the front end and steering, front DBA slotted rotors. Blown heater core, ruined CV joints, new car park damage. FOR SALE... www.thebeatleboys.com
Old 12-15-2008, 04:24 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

There is no solution. This is just the way its made in our cars. Nothing to change or fix. Just get used to it.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:29 AM

Maybe there could be a solution. My JDM SVX does blow warm air on the vent setting. I'm assuming it was setup at the factory to do this, if not I guess it is broken.

I know when I picked it up last winter it was very nice to warm up the cold fingers when getting in the car at -25 degC.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:53 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Sometimes I think my pants are on fire =D. I kinda of like it because when I have hot air blowing near my face my eyes get irritated.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 12-22-2008, 09:15 AM

Hi,
I just picked up a 97 LSi and I'm trying to figure out the climate control since it's been under 0F in Chicago the last few days.
From what I read I'm liking the idea of not blowing hot air out of the main vents (+1 on the eyes getting irritated).
So what setting do I press to have hot air blow to the feet? and which setting for feet/windows?
Thanks,
-Kamil
Old 12-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamil212 View Post
Hi,
I just picked up a 97 LSi and I'm trying to figure out the climate control since it's been under 0° F in Chicago the last few days.
From what I read I'm liking the idea of not blowing hot air out of the main vents (+1 on the eyes getting irritated).
Quote:
So what setting do I press to have hot air blow to the feet?
Press either the AUTO button (AC compressor operating) or the ECON button (compressor is off at this setting) and press the red arrow on the digital temperature button to its highest setting (85°). This will send the maximum hot air flow to the floor

Quote:
and which setting for feet/windows?
Press the DEF button. This directs air to the windshield/windows to keep them from fogging up. With this button pressed, the A/C compressor is operating.

As you adjust the temperature up and down, the air is mixed (cool air from the vents and warm air from the floor) to achieve the desired temperature)

It sounds like you do not have an owner's manual to refer to. Any SVX manual from 1992-1997 will work. As here if someone has a spare.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .