SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Re: Gearshift Maps

705404 is the 92 ROM isn't it? I don't think I'm finding the right file for the 94. I'll just read it again.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
I'm pretty good at desoldering; I don't have any problems removing the surface mounts. I think your euro and jdm tcu's might not be coated but the usdm tcus are coated after assembly--that's really the annoying thing about socketing them. It costs a fortune in solvent getting them stripped before desoldering.

I guess now is a good time to give tips to anyone who's going to socket a US tcu. Don't even try desoldering/soldering until after you clean off the coating. Assuming you aren't experienced at desoldering, do what Phil does and cut the legs of the surface mount with an exacto knife instead of desoldering it (cut along the rom, not the pcb). If you do a clean job of cutting the legs you shouldn't even have to desolder them. You still have to clean the coating off of the through holes for the dip chip before you can empty them and solder in the socket.

I just use a 0.8 mm pin drill, to drill through the solder holes for the socket. Saves heating the board too much while you suck the solder out.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
I'm pretty good at desoldering; I don't have any problems removing the surface mounts. I think your euro and jdm tcu's might not be coated but the usdm tcus are coated after assembly--that's really the annoying thing about socketing them. It costs a fortune in solvent getting them stripped before desoldering.

I guess now is a good time to give tips to anyone who's going to socket a US tcu. Don't even try desoldering/soldering until after you clean off the coating. Assuming you aren't experienced at desoldering, do what Phil does and cut the legs of the surface mount with an exacto knife instead of desoldering it (cut along the rom, not the pcb). If you do a clean job of cutting the legs you shouldn't even have to desolder them. You still have to clean the coating off of the through holes for the dip chip before you can empty them and solder in the socket.
The euro and jdm ones are coated too. I haven't used solvent on mine. Just melted it with the soldering iron and scraped off the residue. Then take off any remaining solder with copper braid and polish with a fibreglass pencil. It looks shoddy but it works.

Solvent would be a better way to do it, but I didn't know at the time.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 12-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Phil & Belha

Thanks for confirming the addresses. They match exactly with my list and the one from Tom's select monitor.

Quote:
705404 is the 92 ROM isn't it? I don't think I'm finding the right file for the 94. I'll just read it again.
Yes. I just checked and your 705404 is the same as the one from Nomake Wan's 1992 car.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 12-12-2008, 04:19 PM
Just some dude.

Phil what are you doing with your shift maps? Do you have any engine work deserving of higher revs?

I'm a big fan of making the 2 to 1 shift come in with less throttle and raising the shift points/rev limits. I haven't really found anyting else in the shift maps I care to change. Even in a stock SVX I find changing the 2 to 1 downshift map a huge improvement though. I can't imagine anyone not wanting to.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:02 PM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Phil what are you doing with your shift maps? Do you have any engine work deserving of higher revs?

I'm a big fan of making the 2 to 1 shift come in with less throttle and raising the shift points/rev limits. I haven't really found anyting else in the shift maps I care to change. Even in a stock SVX I find changing the 2 to 1 downshift map a huge improvement though. I can't imagine anyone not wanting to.
I find the JDM box pretty much perfect, I don't really plan to change anything except perhaps to lower the temperature that the overheat mode kicks in. My engine is completely stock and my ECU and TCU are running the standard JDM maps.

What you suggest about the 2 to 1 downshift sounds interesting. I drive with the power button on nearly all the time. But I have noticed that when pulling away from a slow roll, it is often better to be in 2nd than 1st. The engine has plenty of torque available. Is that what you are talking about?

I have done a mod for the UK models to change the econ mode switch to a power mode switch. A few people have that now but nobody has tested it yet.

Other than that, I've been talking to a guy about doing one optimised for cars with the 4.44 or 4.11 diff swap. Somebody else is talking about swapping the internal gears in their box and wants a custom TCU for that. But I'm not working on either of these things yet.

I am planning to do a version of the USDM TCU that doesn't require signals from the ECU. It can be used with the standalone ECU that Tom is working on.

I do want to try the paddleshift code just to see it working. I wouldn't want to keep it on my car permanently.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II

Last edited by b3lha; 12-12-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:22 PM

Phil I perfer the shift maps on the JDM TCU. I found I drove most of the summer with the power switch turned on my JDM car. Really only switching to compare the two modes

I have done the power mod switch on my Canadian SVX and found while it is great in that it feels very sporty it holds each gear too long under lighter throttle. I find myself constantly turning power mod off and on.

If I had a choice I would have JDM power as normal mode and USDM (Canadian) power mode mapping for the power mode switch.

Peter
Old 12-12-2008, 10:21 PM
Just some dude.

kind of,

I was mainly talking about the downshift of the normal mode map but yes I also like to change the normal mode upshift map into a kind of a hybrid betwen the normal and power mode map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
I find the JDM box pretty much perfect, I don't really plan to change anything except perhaps to lower the temperature that the overheat mode kicks in. My engine is completely stock and my ECU and TCU are running the standard JDM maps.

What you suggest about the 2 to 1 downshift sounds interesting. I drive with the power button on nearly all the time. But I have noticed that when pulling away from a slow roll, it is often better to be in 2nd than 1st. The engine has plenty of torque available. Is that what you are talking about?

I have done a mod for the UK models to change the econ mode switch to a power mode switch. A few people have that now but nobody has tested it yet.

Other than that, I've been talking to a guy about doing one optimised for cars with the 4.44 or 4.11 diff swap. Somebody else is talking about swapping the internal gears in their box and wants a custom TCU for that. But I'm not working on either of these things yet.

I am planning to do a version of the USDM TCU that doesn't require signals from the ECU. It can be used with the standalone ECU that Tom is working on.

I do want to try the paddleshift code just to see it working. I wouldn't want to keep it on my car permanently.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:55 AM
Just some dude.

Thanks to Phil if you like playing with electronics you do have a choice. You don't have to know anything really about computers or software to do what you want. That's a simple copy from one map and paste in the other map kind of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmsvx View Post
Phil I perfer the shift maps on the JDM TCU. I found I drove most of the summer with the power switch turned on my JDM car. Really only switching to compare the two modes

I have done the power mod switch on my Canadian SVX and found while it is great in that it feels very sporty it holds each gear too long under lighter throttle. I find myself constantly turning power mod off and on.

If I had a choice I would have JDM power as normal mode and USDM (Canadian) power mode mapping for the power mode switch.

Peter
Old 12-13-2008, 08:20 AM
Just some dude.

Phil, did you notice full throttle shifts are off the rev limiter not the map?
Old 12-13-2008, 12:51 PM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
I thought about it some more and I understand what you mean now. When you squeeze the throttle in 2nd, you want the car to be a little more eager to downshift to 1st.
Quote:
Phil, did you notice full throttle shifts are off the rev limiter not the map?
Yeah. I thought I had mentioned it somewhere, but maybe it slipped my mind. I think that is a safety measure to protect the mechanicals if the driver does something stupid.

Do you think that copying the JDM maps to a USDM TCU will work well, or will the different final drive ratio have a negative effect?
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 12-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Just some dude.

I don't think it would hurt anyone to try if they are curious. This is the kind of thing people can tinker with without worry of blowing anything up. I tighten up the endplay on the rotating assembly on my boxes when I build them and they can obviously hold a lot more torque but I don't have any problems running high rpms. I don't think it's an issue. Without the power mode mod the US model drives differently though since we switch from whatever mode we are in to power on heavy acceleration.

Here's the change I like for the USDM. Maybe you can plot this for us?

power 1 to 2:
14 00 80
2B 16 B0
42 2C F0
53 00 F0
FF 00 FF

normal 1 to 2:
0F 00 80
1E 33 C0
3C 19 F0
53 00 F0
FF 00 FF

normal and power 2 to 1
0F 00 80
0F 00 C0
2D 19 F0
FF 00 FF
Old 12-13-2008, 02:04 PM
Just some dude.

that's a 7600-7800 rpm shift at full throttle if you have your rev limiters set up (mine are at 7800) but if you don't raise your rev limiters you can use those same maps and your full throttle shifts will still be at 6500 rpms.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:57 PM
Phil & Belha

Sure, I'll plot it Monday on my computer at work.

Do you know C programming? I wrote a program to pull the shift maps out of a TCU dump file and write a CSV file to import into Excel for plotting graphs. I can send it to you if you want it.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 12-13-2008, 06:17 PM
Just some dude.

Thanks,

Not so much. My schooling/experience is in object oriented programming (microsoft visual c#). I think I still have visual c++ installed from something else. I could run c stuff in that but it would probably easier for me/I'd be more comfortable just writing the functions in excell (I probably should have done that to begin with but I've been content wasting time making half ***ed plots on my worksheets).

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
Sure, I'll plot it Monday on my computer at work.

Do you know C programming? I wrote a program to pull the shift maps out of a TCU dump file and write a CSV file to import into Excel for plotting graphs. I can send it to you if you want it.