SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2008, 07:21 AM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX
Re: SVX in crash.... is it worth to repair

A new trunk lid might lock it back in place. And if your still going to drive it get some new rear lights as you don't want to be pulled over.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 07-14-2008, 03:42 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

I just wish all those damaged SVXi are in my country... bodywork is highly professional and doesn't really cost as much as in the US

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Teh Geek

Send a message via ICQ to nsm484 Send a message via AIM to nsm484 Send a message via Yahoo to nsm484
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
A new trunk lid might lock it back in place. And if your still going to drive it get some new rear lights as you don't want to be pulled over.
I have the cheapy Red Tape to make it legal (no white must be showing)

and the trunk, due to its heavy nature, doesnt really move.

Once I get my surgery done and I dont have to worry about that anymore,
I plan on looking into getting a Title Loan. I have used this company before,
so they know im good for it, and I was able to get quite abit for an old POS Buick, so hopefully I can take a loan out on my car, to fix the car.

Now, if this does go though, we will have another custom color SVX....
just not sure which color yet

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally [Nori]

1996 LSi Polo Green [Calista] - 18" Konig Incident's - Lived for awhile Now Selling
1992 LSL Dark Teal [Yori] (Rear Ended, Donor to Calista, and now gone)
1992 LSL Ebony Mica (Sold to svxcuseme)
Old 07-14-2008, 03:52 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

If your getting a new custom color I would suggest some of the newer Subaru colors Like the WR blue, Obsidien black, Or one of the silvers.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 07-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Winona is my yang.

do a color that no SVX has... that will be hard since they are like skittles...

copper.... like the old eclipse..
or that grey/green they had on the round light celicas!

if you feel that the trunk lid might fly take some precautions! you don't want to owe for a mercedes or something!

Duct tape it if you have too!
Old 02-26-2009, 11:32 PM
Teh Geek

Send a message via ICQ to nsm484 Send a message via AIM to nsm484 Send a message via Yahoo to nsm484
Registered SVX

Its been awhile since I responded here. I am currently looking to get another SVX if I can, and Park this one to slowly work on her. She has still been my daily driver, the trunk still hasn't moved, but I still cry (and all other Subaru Owners who know the SVX cry) when we see her.... but shes still kickin asphalt getting me to and from work everyday. I don't drive her anywhere else.

But... once I get a replacement to have as my daily driver, I plan on putting some good work into this one.

First order, to get all the mech stuff that has poped up complete (front CV's are poping now, Tach doesn't read correctly at ALL, Speedo Sensor needs replaced, etc)

Now, to the first question I'm going to throw out to everyone...
I take it with the ECU and TCU Constantly talking to each other, that if the ECU is getting the wrong data from the TACH, then it would cause the tranny to shift weird and not normally correct?
(However, under heavy Accel, the shift times, and how smooth the shift is, is perfect, like the tranny was brand new)

Also, the Tach only goes up to MABEY 1k in COLD weather? and in normal Florida heat, it doesn't go past 4k - 5k depending on the day (I think shes just picky)
(I tested via reving in park, and taking her up to 65 from a dead stop on the interstate (yes, "power" mode kicked in) and she never reads higher on the tach, but you can hear and feel that shes reving like she should)

Anyway, Anyone have any idea's on why my tach would be reading incorrectly all the time? and what can I do to correct that?
Also, could this be the reasion why when I am at around 30mph, and the tach reads below 1.2K, when I slightly press the gas that the tranny almost shutters, but once I pull her down into 3rd, or hit the gas pretty hard, shes fine?
(if the tach reads above 2k, she doesn't do that, but if it reads below that, she sometimes does it, and if it reads below 1.5k, its happens ALMOST everytime?)

1996 LSi Polo Green [Calista] - 18" Konig Incident's - Lived for awhile Now Selling

Last edited by nsm484; 02-26-2009 at 11:45 PM. Reason: I do plan on getting her repaired
Old 02-27-2009, 04:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan

you people are nuts. You just dont want to see another svx taken off the road. Dont do that at the expence of this guys wallet.

why would anyone fix this beyond sentimental reasons? the rippling of the rear quarter shows its been pushed in pretty far. I personally dont see the lines on your car ever being straight again. you need alot of pieces, plus paint, plus labor. the car is totalled unless your willing to do alot of work on it yourself.

Plus all the other mechanical issues?

The FAR cheaper option, is to go find a real nice SVX w/ a blown tranny. and put yours in it. then you STILL have a parts car too. which you can sell or keep.

my 2 cents.
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!
Old 02-27-2009, 05:07 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I could fix that car for less than $1500...which would keep me from taking it off the road.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 02-27-2009, 06:12 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavikan View Post
you people are nuts.
HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY what do you meannnnn "you people" mmmmm?

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:02 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
you people are nuts. You just dont want to see another svx taken off the road. Dont do that at the expence of this guys wallet.

why would anyone fix this beyond sentimental reasons? the rippling of the rear quarter shows its been pushed in pretty far. I personally dont see the lines on your car ever being straight again. you need alot of pieces, plus paint, plus labor. the car is totalled unless your willing to do alot of work on it yourself.

The FAR cheaper option, is to go find a real nice SVX w/ a blown tranny. and put yours in it. then you STILL have a parts car too. which you can sell or keep.

my 2 cents.
There isn't any frame damage though, The quarter panel being rippled like that can be beat out and smoothed over. We fix these up because there are continually less and less on the road and we want to see as many kept on the road as possible.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Teh Geek

Registered SVX

Actualy, I have already been looking for another SVX, but not one to do a tranny swap, but a good one.

I am the one who decided to take on the task to get her repaired, as I spent 2 1/2 years looking for her when I lost my first SVX, and I, personaly, don't want to see another SVX dead on the road.
After I get another SVX, I plan on working on the Mechanical problems first, to keep her running, Shes still running now, just with the problems I listed above (anyone wanna give me insight on my Tach Problem?)
I will keep her as the "Daily Driver Switcher", as I will alternate between the 2.
Plus... owning 2 running SVXi has always been a Goal of mine anyway, one for show and Beauty, one for AutoXing. Yea, she mite have a fat a** on her, but that will make AutoX fun!

Since there mite not be a chance of getting her lines perfect, she is perfect for AutoX, but I do want to make her look good enough to be proud of, as it stands right now, everytime i go to get in her, I want to cry
but... I am dedicated to getting her back up to snuff, who knows... 5 speed swap maybe?

Quote:

my 2 cents.

Last edited by nsm484; 02-27-2009 at 08:46 PM.