Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Proper use of jack stands?

I've always just used my old 2 ton floor jack for wheel changes and ramps for any time I venture under the car. But I hear lots of mention of jack stands as the safer way to do some things and if more than one wheel needs to be up in the air they are the only solution (without a lift of course).

So what's proper jack stand etiquette?

Where do you place them? At the indented jack points on the frame rail? Or somewhere else?

Should they always be used in pairs, like 2 in the front or 2 in the back? Or can you just do 1 wheel? Or should it be all 4 always? Or is all 4 even suggested?

Sorry, maybe dumb questions, but don't want to hurt my car or myself.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 06-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Proper use of jack stands?

It would probably be a good addition to our how-to section to have a safe jacking/ jackstand location map/picture

I use the frame rails in front (don't know what they're called but I call 'em frame rails - the meaty pieces sticking out from the floor/unibody) and in the back the rear diff to lift it with the floor jack and the 2 spots where the rear suspension arm (don't know what its called) mounts forward of the rear wheel with the 2 bolts for the jackstands.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:28 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

The best place for the stand is where you are to use the stock jack. There are 4 ridges under the cladding, 2 on each side. Jack the car up using the subframe under the engine behind the oil pan and under the rear differential for the rear. I used normal 2 ton jacks for years but got turned onto a 6ton Truck jack that is about 4' in length with a 4 foot t-bar handle.. It reaches under the car with ease on both ends and can lift the car up to 32". Not recomended for the occasional user but for someone like me, the big jack was great. Also 6 ton jack stands on each corner make the car more stable and safe, not to mention they hold the car up to every bit of the 32" the jack would put it up

Tom
Old 06-24-2008, 07:07 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX

I don't use the jack points because my stands have deep cradles on them and would bend the sheet metal. The last time I jacked up the SVX was last year for the brakes, and to tell you the truth I'm not certain where I put them.

I just try to find anything 'solid.' I like suspension or subframe mounting points, frame rails, etc. Where I put them depends on what I need to work on at the time, but I like them to be as far apart as possible.

I use stands either in pairs or on all four corners. If I have to get well under the car I usually just do all four corners instead of lifting one end up real high. I never use one stand at a time under one corner.

Since the SVX is pretty low, I park it on boards before I jack it up, and if I need to get it up high sometimes I have to raise it in steps.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-24-2008, 07:41 AM
SVXless

I usually just put them on the frame rails. I've got stands with deep cradles in the them and have never had a problem out of them. Jack the car up in the front on the subframe jack spot (2006 RSX). Never had a problem. I'm still afraid to get under there sometimes. I think it's time for new jack stands.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:18 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets View Post
I don't use the jack points because my stands have deep cradles on them and would bend the sheet metal. The last time I jacked up the SVX was last year for the brakes, and to tell you the truth I'm not certain where I put them.

I had the same problem initially, but a grinder does wonders. Just a little contouring of the cradle without reducing its strength permits use in the spaces designed under the frame. It was 20 minutes well spent to slightly modify the cradle of my four stands.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 06-25-2008, 12:26 AM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

yeah, definitely use jack stands, jacks are designed to LIFT a load, not support it, and if the O-ring blows out, that sucks, especially if you are under the car when it happens. Always use jack stands in pairs, one stand is not very stable and the car could fall off.
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 06-25-2008, 12:54 AM
SVXtreme

6 ton jack and stands sounds godly *searches ebay...
Old 06-25-2008, 08:00 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Matt is right, a short write up and diagram would be a useful addition to the How To section. Safety should always be rule #1.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:15 PM

Registered SVX

When using jack stands and or jack, sometimes it is necessary to utilise a point which is flat and smooth, whereby limited friction is present.

In these circumstances I always put some wood between support and supported, so as to provide friction and grip. This also prevents excessive loading on any existing high point.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 06-26-2008, 09:56 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone!

Matt is right, a short write up and diagram would be a useful addition to the How To section. Safety should always be rule #1.
As nice as that sounds, I don't think I'd put up a How-To without a very strong disclaimer.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets View Post
As nice as that sounds, I don't think I'd put up a How-To without a very strong disclaimer.
It can go both ways. I mean certainly getting the car up on jack stands can be dangerous and not something we'd like to encourage.

But at the same time, not putting out a strong suggestion that for certain jobs jack stands are a MUST over using your floor jack to support the car for long periods? And if so, then suggestion on proper and safe placement of the jack stands would be good.

All in all, just about every How To document should have a clear disclaimer at the beginning. Some stressing safety concerns. All of them stressing that these are do at your own risk and the network and it's members are not liable for damage or injury.