Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2008, 05:35 PM

Looming FWD transmission failure!...options?

I took my car to Tom (OT) to check out the delay in shifting and other issues that have cropped up recently. The most alarming is a noise usually made when I've got my foot on the gas, that sounds rotational. It reminds me of one of those spinny wheels on a board game with a plastic clicker that slows it down. Tom likens it to a baseball-card-through-bike-spokes sound. The next thing that concerned me was an oil leak. The least troubling noise is what seemed to be a buzzing from loose heat sheilds or maybe exhaust tips.

The rotational noise is caused by a missing tooth on the ring gear in the front differential. Tom found the tooth when when he drianed the dif. fluid. To replace the gear or to replace the differential, I'd have to pay more in labor than if I replace the whole transmission. Therefore, I have a tranny swap looming in the near future. The buzzing sound, Tom now thinks, is actually coming from my flex plate. One of the sources of the oil leak is the main rear seal. Those both can be conveniently replaced during a trans. swap, but otherwise would be labor-intensive to replace. The shifting issue - Tom determined it was skipping 2nd gear - is a story in itself, but that would obviously be resolved by a "new" transmission. I'm driving the car until the transmission fails or I'm ready for Tom to do the swap, whichever comes first.

This SVX is a FWD model. Tom informed me that unlike the AWD's, it has a 3.7 gear ratio. The good news is that I don't have to use an SVX transmission. (I don't want to go manual.) Tom said it can be any 1990-1997 FWD Subaru transmission with one other constraining factor. I think that is that it has to have a 3.7 gear ratio too. (Is that right, Tom?) Exactly which models/years does that leave me to choose from? Does anyone have other suggestions, advice, or a transmission laying around that fits the bill? Tom could find one for me, but I want to have more than one option so I can balance out price and quality as best as possible.

Also, why can't I use an AWD transmission on a FWD car? Is it incompatible, a TCU issue, or is it just that I would get a less expensive and probably less worn one if I stick to FWD versions?
Old 06-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Looming FWD transmission failure!...options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I took my car to Tom (OT) to check out the delay in shifting and other issues that have cropped up recently. The most alarming is a noise usually made when I've got my foot on the gas, that sounds rotational. It reminds me of one of those spinny wheels on a board game with a plastic clicker that slows it down. Tom likens it to a baseball-card-through-bike-spokes sound. The next thing that concerned me was an oil leak. The least troubling noise is what seemed to be a buzzing from loose heat sheilds or maybe exhaust tips.

The rotational noise is caused by a missing tooth on the ring gear in the front differential. Tom found the tooth when when he drianed the dif. fluid. To replace the gear or to replace the differential, I'd have to pay more in labor than if I replace the whole transmission. Therefore, I have a tranny swap looming in the near future. The buzzing sound, Tom now thinks, is actually coming from my flex plate. One of the sources of the oil leak is the main rear seal. Those both can be conveniently replaced during a trans. swap, but otherwise would be labor-intensive to replace. The shifting issue - Tom determined it was skipping 2nd gear - is a story in itself, but that would obviously be resolved by a "new" transmission. I'm driving the car until the transmission fails or I'm ready for Tom to do the swap, whichever comes first.

This SVX is a FWD model. Tom informed me that unlike the AWD's, it has a 3.7 gear ratio. The good news is that I don't have to use an SVX transmission. (I don't want to go manual.) Tom said it can be any 1990-1997 FWD Subaru transmission with one other constraining factor. I think that is that it has to have a 3.7 gear ratio too. (Is that right, Tom?) Exactly which models/years does that leave me to choose from? Does anyone have other suggestions, advice, or a transmission laying around that fits the bill? Tom could find one for me, but I want to have more than one option so I can balance out price and quality as best as possible.

Also, why can't I use an AWD transmission on a FWD car? Is it incompatible, a TCU issue, or is it just that I would get a less expensive and probably less worn one if I stick to FWD versions?
Any FWD trans can be used, as there is no rear diff to match, the choice is yours. You can get it converted to AWD, Budfreak has done a few that have worked well.
You can contact him here. svxrepairs@aol.com.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:10 AM

Thanks, Harvey, but an AWD conversion would cost a lot more, what with the rear diff, TCU, axels, rear subframe, etc. I don't have the extra money to do that. When I brought up using an AWD transmision, I meant w/o further conversion. That's just because I thought I might be more likely to find an AWD transmission, since there are probably a lot more Subaru AWD ones than FWD...that definitely goes for SVX transmissions. (Plus, if down the road I decide I'd like an AWD conversion, I wouldn't need another new trans.)
Old 06-23-2008, 09:20 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Any FWD trans can be used, as there is no rear diff to match, the choice is yours. You can get it converted to AWD, Budfreak has done a few that have worked well.
You can contact him here. svxrepairs@aol.com.

Harvey.
Harvey,

If I read correctly, he is already working with SVXFiles on the trans issue.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:02 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
Harvey,

If I read correctly, he is already working with SVXFiles on the trans issue.
Yes I have been told that from a number of sources now. I only answered the question that he asked.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:39 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

To be honest, Tom is going to be able to source you a better transmission with less mileage for a better price than just about anyone. A lot of times I cannot come up with what he can and I buy from him as well. It is going to be tough to find a better deal.

Tom
Old 06-24-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I only answered the question that he asked.
And I appreciate that, Harvey. Your answer of "any transmission" is a little too broad though. I'm trying to narrow it down from "Any FWD Subaru transmission from about 1990-1997". I'm looking for specific model names and years and any other restricting features.

Quote:
To be honest, Tom is going to be able to source you a better transmission with less mileage for a better price than just about anyone...It is going to be tough to find a better deal.
I think you're probably right, Tom. But nothing in life is guaranteed , so I'm looking just on the off chance I come across something better.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:17 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
"Any FWD Subaru transmission from about 1990-1997". I'm looking for specific model names and years and any other restricting features.

Any automatic transmission equipped front wheel drive Legacy, Impreza, or SVX from 1990-1997.
The engine size can be 1.8, 2.2, or 3.3.
Justys will not work, and Loyales will not work.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 06-24-2008, 12:53 PM

Thank you, Tom!
Old 06-24-2008, 02:28 PM
OOC for a while

Send a message via AIM to 94SubieSVX

I have a FWD trans for sale. Shifts perfect, just needs a new front diff. Trans was rebuilt abotu 25k miles before I took it out. There's about 146k miles on it all together. Make me an offer if your interested.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Any automatic transmission equipped front wheel drive Legacy, Impreza, or SVX from 1990-1997.
The engine size can be 1.8, 2.2, or 3.3.
Justys will not work, and Loyales will not work.
So, does that mean all these cars share the same transmission? Or are they different, but interchangable? If it's the latter, can you rank them by choice?

When I searched 1997 Legacy FWD A.T.'s on car-part.com, 1998's came up too. Does that mean they're also compatible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94SubieSVX
I have a FWD trans for sale. Shifts perfect, just needs a new front diff.
Sorry, but I'm looking for one w/a good front dif. My dif. needs replaced more than anything else.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Quote:
When I searched 1997 Legacy FWD A.T.'s on car-part.com, 1998's came up too. Does that mean they're also compatible?
As far as I know there were no more FWD Legacy's or Imp's after 1997. The 98 tranny's would be compatible, but AWD.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:34 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
As far as I know there were no more FWD Legacy's or Imp's after 1997. The 98 tranny's would be compatible, but AWD.
Actually you *shouldn't* be able to find any FWD trans after 1996 (subaru began their AWD standard feature). I am sure there were leftovers marked as 96 and 97's. All the transmission are interchangable but only the SVX FWD trans has the extra high clutch.

Tom
Old 06-24-2008, 04:16 PM
There's a storm coming.

what THEY ^ said.
As I remember Subaru had about 500 1997 FWD Legacys, that they discounted/rebated heavily to complete the changeover to only AWD.
I would go for the newest one (to get the improvements)with the lowest price.
YT has a point about the "extra" clutch plates, but it has been the heaviest Subaru with the biggest engine.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 06-24-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
All the transmission are interchangable but only the SVX FWD trans has the extra high clutch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles
YT has a point about the "extra" clutch plates, but it has been the heaviest Subaru with the biggest engine.
So they are actually different transmisions (FWD SVX vs. Legacy/Impreza)?