Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Bosch Platinum 4+ Spark Plugs

I bought these recently and haven't put them in my SVX yet but was wondering if anyone has had experiance with these and should I keep them or fork out $2 for the NGK? Please don't post "they are crap because I think they are" I'd like a little info not just straight opinion Thank you~

*EDIT*

I said screw it and went back and got the NGK after looking around some more. they are the NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs, $8 a peice lets see how they par up against the Autolite or what ever that is in there now.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles

Last edited by Wikedjuggalo; 05-10-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
I read not to attempt to regap these? That being so should i be worried about the Gap with the svx?

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
Old 05-10-2008, 06:00 PM
I kill more trannies then god

i dont think the plugs are gapp able and aslong as noone dropped the box the gap is preset
Old 05-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
I read not to attempt to regap these? That being so should i be worried about the Gap with the svx?
Rubbing a feeler gauge through the plugs gap can damage the Platinum coating on the face of the gap.
Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:29 AM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
The Bosch Platinum +2 and +4 plugs aren't "crap", I just don't think they are worth $12 each or whatever the heck they cost. Yes, I know iridium plugs are not cheap, but they last 90,000 miles, and in my opinion (especially if you are paying the dealer 3 hours to replace your spark plugs) it's worth the extra $ per plug, to not have to worry about it for 90,000 miles.
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 05-11-2008, 01:25 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
Remember that our cars are very picky about plug brand and material also.

My ebony had problems and wouldn't start for awhile......all because I put Autolites in it.

It's back to NGK Iridiums and is running perfect.

Dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 05-11-2008, 01:37 PM

I have ran bosch +4s running n/a for years and even with a 50 shot zex,but that was me also the svx calls for plat. but for my best,my best plug for nitrous was the regular cheap autolite nonresistor plugs,the reason for my choices was because I had an exhaust temp gauge installed in each manifold.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Platinum +4 have caused cold troubles in my SVXi. Cold idle and cold driving were hot/cold on power. The car just didn't want to run right. Since then I have only bought NGK BKR6EIX for any and all N/A SVXi. Anything running boost or N20 gets a BKR7EIX. Sorry, I know the SVX calls for a plat. plug but the iridiums run better, for longer.

Tom
Old 05-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Platinum +4 have caused cold troubles in my SVXi. Cold idle and cold driving were hot/cold on power. The car just didn't want to run right. Since then I have only bought NGK BKR6EIX for any and all N/A SVXi. Anything running boost or N20 gets a BKR7EIX. Sorry, I know the SVX calls for a plat. plug but the iridiums run better, for longer.

Tom
I went back and got the BKR6EIX. cost 2 dollars more. I will be changing them soon. thanks for input!

Old 05-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Locker Link Solution

I currently have the +4s in... when I do change them, it will be the NGKs filling the hole.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 05-16-2008, 05:15 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Alright ! Spark Plugs changed, took me 2 1/2 hours but I feel better I'll post a picture of the Autolite that were in there . NGK Iridiums are in and I can say I don't feel hesitation like I did before.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Alright ! Spark Plugs changed, took me 2 1/2 hours but I feel better I'll post a picture of the Autolite that were in there . NGK Iridiums are in and I can say I don't feel hesitation like I did before.
??

2 1/2 hours??

I replaced mine this week. I used the standard recommended Platinum NGKs. It took me an hour though, but it was bloody difficult. Two and a half hours seems a long time, but I suppose it could take that long if you don't have the right tools.

The plug sockets I use make the job very easy. I use two plug sockets plus extensions bought in Halfords. The reason for using two is the rubber insert. You need the rubber insert in place to extract the plug from the head. When replacing the new plug, you need the same size socket but no rubber insert, because when the new plug is tightened into place, you need the socket to retract when pulled. If the rubber gripper is in place it grips the plug tightly and you will just pull out the extension bar, which leaves you with the socket still on the plug deep in the head and a bit of a problem.

With the correct equipment it takes an hour. If it is of interest I will take photos of the equipment and post it up.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-16-2008, 07:57 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
??

2 1/2 hours??

I replaced mine this week. I used the standard recommended Platinum NGKs. It took me an hour though, but it was bloody difficult. Two and a half hours seems a long time, but I suppose it could take that long if you don't have the right tools.

The plug sockets I use make the job very easy. I use two plug sockets plus extensions bought in Halfords. The reason for using two is the rubber insert. You need the rubber insert in place to extract the plug from the head. When replacing the new plug, you need the same size socket but no rubber insert, because when the new plug is tightened into place, you need the socket to retract when pulled. If the rubber gripper is in place it grips the plug tightly and you will just pull out the extension bar, which leaves you with the socket still on the plug deep in the head and a bit of a problem.

With the correct equipment it takes an hour. If it is of interest I will take photos of the equipment and post it up.

Joe
lol It took me that long because I wasnt rushed. I was taking my time and what took the longest was the last driver side one. I kept dropping the bolt and also I dropped a socket into the engine somewhere and took me awhile to get it out . Also took me a while because I had to take out the first one 4 times the damn rubber boot in the Spark Plug socket made it to where once the spark plug was tightened it wouldn't allow me to pull the socket off the spark plug. I feel confident I could pull it off in an hour if I had to do it again.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:58 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
lAlso took me a while because I had to take out the first one 4 times the damn rubber boot in the Spark Plug socket made it to where once the spark plug was tightened it wouldn't allow me to pull the socket off the spark plug. I feel confident I could pull it off in an hour if I had to do it again.
Yep! That's one of the problems.

Two Sockets To Rule Them All.

The plug sockets are relatively cheap. You buy two and use a needle-nosed pliers to extract the rubber sleeve from the Plug Install socket. That saves a lot of time.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl