Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-07-2002, 06:04 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally posted by kuoh
Umm...we put the wheel back on after taking the cap off and broke it free, then raised it, took the wheel off and removed the nut. As long as you don't take the nut off completely while it's on the ground, there shouldn't be any harm.

KuoH
The SM says to do it with the wheels in the air and stomp on the brake. I think this is a precautionary measure. The inner races of the bearing are tapered roller bearings. These form a wedge shape. The only thing I could think of is the car weight might spread the inner races apart if the nut was loosened while on the ground but that would depend on how tight the fit was between the inner race and the hub. If the inner races moved away from each other, due the car weight and wedge shape, then there would be more clearance in the bearing. Other than that I don't know the REAL reason or the practical reason. I am not an auto mechanic I am a mechanical engineer that specializes in rotating machinery. So what the heck would I know about auto mechanics anyway Where is Beav?
Old 06-07-2002, 07:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Really? We just took the wheel off, popped off the cap, put the wheel back on with only 3 lugs snugged and let it down just enough to provide the needed resistance. It didn't seem like that much of a pain to us, but then again, there were two of us.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Man...Putting the car back on the ground just for this is kind of a pain in the ass.
Old 06-07-2002, 07:20 PM

Well we just broke the nut loose, then raised the car immediately. I don't think there was any risk in that procedure, or at least I don't feel that it's enough of a risk not to try the same thing when it comes time to replace mine.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
...The only thing I could think of is the car weight might spread the inner races apart if the nut was loosened while on the ground but that would depend on how tight the fit was between the inner race and the hub. If the inner races moved away from each other, due the car weight and wedge shape, then there would be more clearance in the bearing...
Old 06-07-2002, 07:40 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I've no idea why they make such a big issue of it. There's definitely an interference fit between the hub and bearings. Maybe their concerns lie in the possibilty that a slight re-alignment of the bearings would result in their demise. The bearings used were probably spec'd with the intent of low rolling resistance, but the longevity trade-off should have landed that decision maker a job at Yugo. The next time I change one I'll try to take the old one to a bearing house and see if there's a more suitable replacement.

Anyway, back to the original subject... There shouldn't be any harm done by just cracking the nut loose while the wheel is on the ground. Once is it loosened raise the wheel from the ground and finish removing the nut, etc. The most likely damage to occur would be when the socket breaks while under the pressure of a six-foot long pipe on your breaker bar.
Old 06-08-2002, 07:19 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
The most likely damage to occur would be when the socket breaks while under the pressure of a six-foot long pipe on your breaker bar.
I was glad I didn't break anything (My back included) Here I was hanging on this pipe and the nut would not come loose. So then I slide the pipe out a little bit further on the bar handle and hung on it again. Then with mighty snap it broke loose. I was so glad because I really thought it wasn't going to budge.

The socket held up, it is a 6 point craftsman socket. A friend only buys impact sockets beacuse they are stronger.
Old 06-09-2002, 12:05 AM

If it says Craftsman on it, then it doesn't matter how many of them you break, Sears will always replace them for free. Just don't break the part your working on in the process.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
The socket held up, it is a 6 point craftsman socket.
Old 06-09-2002, 04:53 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Actually I was thinking more along the lines of pain and broken pride.
Old 06-09-2002, 07:36 AM
ALsvx

Just an FYI on removing the axle nut... Honda has a TSB on all their vehiles that the nut should be removed with the wheels on the ground.

Seems many people (and cars) have been damaged by the car falling off the jack stands when trying to break the nut loose.

Bill