Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 03-30-2008, 02:28 AM

Okay plugged in the temp guages and the results surprised me, hope fully we can all put are head together to find an improved way to cool the engine.
- Air temp was 20 C
- Started the car and the engine temp went up to about 80 C while the radiator stayed at around 40 C (lowest reading on guage).
- After 10 minutes driving the engine moved to 94 C and the radiator moved to 80 C.
- Pushed the car a bit and the engine moved to 100 C and the radiator moved to 95 C then back to 80 C (I think the fans turnned on but can't be sure)

So there it, is the current design doesn't have a lot of spare cooling I think it is more about getting the air past the radiator and transfering the heat.

Suggestion ideas greatly appricated.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:56 AM

Registered SVX
i wonder if this is the same prob i got with my 92 JDM SVX. the last owner told me it had over heatting problems. ive started it and let it run for 30mins and it didnt over heat. i did notice that the raditor would had over flowed some time. the water marks were all ova the raditor etc
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 03-30-2008, 06:01 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I like the swirl pot!
Great way to have a place for air to collect.

Keeping the front wheels up on ramps help vent the system too.

Take care,

John
Old 03-30-2008, 08:05 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Trevor:
Quote:
We should be talking on this over a beer.
Next time I'm in New Zealand, you're on. Not a big hops fan, so I'm not partial to bitters or India Pale Ale. Tend toward Belgian brews, Corsedonk, or Chimay. Also like a good Hefeweisen. Until, then drink in good health.

Dan

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 03-30-2008, 12:37 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
How many of you guys run with front license plates? I noticed that since I've been running without a front plate and underbody skidplate, it takes a little bit longer for the car to get the tranny into operating temperature, so I imagine the extra airflow to the radiator must be doing something for me.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 03-30-2008, 01:21 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade View Post
Trevor:

Next time I'm in New Zealand, you're on. Not a big hops fan, so I'm not partial to bitters or India Pale Ale. Tend toward Belgian brews, Corsedonk, or Chimay. Also like a good Hefeweisen. Until, then drink in good health.

Dan
No problem Dan,

How about a tour around a few vineyards, we are not too bad in the world of wine markets.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 03-30-2008, 01:22 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade View Post
Trevor:

Dan
No problem Dan,

How about a tour around a few vineyards, we are not too bad in the world wine markets.

See you, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 03-31-2008, 04:07 AM

Here are a couple of photos that I have taken of the difference in temp between the Radiator and the engine. From what I learn't today the most important is air flow past the radiator. The first photo driving at slow speed around the street (40kph) then in the second photo shows the radiator at lower temp when travelling at100k for about 10min
This is why people need to be carful before fitting electric pumps, SVX have a different type of cooling system to most other cars and its easy to overheat the engine if you don't know what you are doing.
Guage on the left is Radiator one on right is engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Temp at low varying speed.jpg (806.7 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg Temp Traveling at 100 kph constant.jpg (798.5 KB, 94 views)
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:27 PM

Different? How So?

Desertrunner please enlighten us on what makes the SVX's cooling system different from the normal average car's.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:41 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdeasMan View Post
Desertrunner please enlighten us on what makes the SVX's cooling system different from the normal average car's.
check the earlier posts in this thread...he's referring to the way the coolant will recycle in the block.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 03-31-2008, 02:41 PM

If you look back you will see I posted the respective pages from the SVX manual.
What happens that is different from most other engines is that the engine cooling system and heater and water pump are all in one loop. The heater is always on as it is part of the cooling loop. The radiator and thermostat are only called on (opened) if the engine temp goes above 80C and this new cooler water is mixed with the return water from the engine cooling loop (heater). The water comig from the radiator can be what ever temp as its just a energy sink. This morning on the way to work the radiator water was 60c but the engine was 90C air temp was 7C.
If the radiator fails to provide cooling water that can keep the engine water tempreture under 95C then the cooling fans turn on in an attempt to drop the tempreture of the radiator water. The fans will also turn on at slow speeds I think below 20 and above 10 kph.
What is real clear is that the most critical issue is to get air past the radiator the hottest my car runs is at speeds below 50kph not 200kph.
Hope that helps.
Tony
Old 03-31-2008, 04:40 PM

Sorry Tony, I couldn't find that posting. Could you post a link to it?
I think I see what you're saying, though I'm not positive. Could you post a diagram?
Old 03-31-2008, 05:27 PM

Sorry it was in the other forum
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...t=43222&page=3
Tony
Old 04-01-2008, 12:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to Roo Send a message via Yahoo to Roo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Bob had a great idea for filling the system. A large(tall) funnel in the cap of the radiator and a lot of patience to make sure all bubbles are out. Once the bubbles stop, leave the funnel in and start the car and let it get to running temp so the thermostat has a chance to open. Once no more coolant is allowed to get in, remove the funnel (a drip pan and quick hands are a must here) and replace the cap. top off the resevoir and allow the car to run with the cap on and take it for a 20 min drive. Bring it back in, let it cool completely. Remove the cap and add fluid as needed.

Tom
Or, you could simply spend $26 and get this. No mess, no quick hands, and my Subaru mechanic uses it all the time.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:48 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo View Post
Or, you could simply spend $26 and get this. No mess, no quick hands, and my Subaru mechanic uses it all the time.
That's what i use for changing out the coolant and it works like a charm
2012 Camry V6 SE