How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-11-2008, 11:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXgarcia
wont start

car wont start, cold morning. Battery voltage is fine. no clicking. possible solution
Old 02-11-2008, 11:31 AM

Not starting???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXgarcia View Post
car wont start, cold morning. Battery voltage is fine. no clicking. possible solution
Possible bad starter... if so, replace bad starter!

The starter has 2 electrical voltage connectors. One is the large cable from the battery that always has 12+ volts, in a perfect world.. The other is a smaller wire with a push on spade connector that is energized with 12+ volts from the ignition switch in the start position, in a perfect world. By "no clicking" I assume there is "no cranking" as well. You didn't say. If you have "no cranking", please read on. Otherwise disregard the next paragraph.

To test the starter, I personally would make a fused (30 amp fuse) that would reach from the battery ( + side of course) with a push on spade connector and put the spade connector on the starter. Then I would touch the other end to the + battery post briefly and see if the starter turns over. This I would do with the shifter in the park position and the ignition key in my right front pocket. If the starter does nothing, the starter is bad. Remove and replace the bad starter! If the starter cranks the engine doing this test, get back to us?
Good luck
Keith

Last edited by kwren; 02-11-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:27 PM

You say battery voltage is fine, does that mean that the dash lights up and the power windows and such work, just nothing doing when you try to crank? Or were you testing the voltage at the battery? And was it a load test?
If the battery is good, the starter motor is good, a common problem is the contacts within the key switch. Mine (before another problem arose) would take three or four turns of the key on cold days before it would try to start.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXgarcia
Ok, I replaced the started and the car finally starter.
In the morning when it wouldn't turn over, I tried MANY times but no luck. I went out to get the starter and do a few other things, by the time I got back I was ready to begin my starter replacement, so i tried to start the car one more time and what do you know? Yes, it started. I still replaced the starter. Do you guys think it could have been that ignition problem?
Thanks for the help.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:23 AM

nope..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXgarcia View Post
Ok, I replaced the started and the car finally starter.
In the morning when it wouldn't turn over, I tried MANY times but no luck. I went out to get the starter and do a few other things, by the time I got back I was ready to begin my starter replacement, so i tried to start the car one more time and what do you know? Yes, it started. I still replaced the starter. Do you guys think it could have been that ignition problem?
Thanks for the help.
But anything is possible