How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Think about this....my box like Chevy 97 Astro VAN awd gets 25mpg on the highway.. That is impressive for such a non-aerodynamic vechicle. I want to know why.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:35 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by svx_commuter View Post
Think about this....my box like Chevy 97 Astro VAN awd gets 25mpg on the highway.. That is impressive for such a non-aerodynamic vechicle. I want to know why.
The GM cars that I've ridden in always appeared to have ridiculously high overdrives. They seemed to be pulling roughly 2000RPM at 70mph, maybe the astrovan was similar?
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 02-27-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svx_commuter View Post

That is impressive. I would think that the gearing would play a large factor, and it probably has what... the 4.3 v-6? Those are pretty good motors as well.

Funny that they can't make vans do that anymore though. Why does everything get such awful mileage these days? I mean, we're getting the same mileage that we were getting 20 years ago, and technology has advanced FAR, FAR beyond what they could have hoped for that long ago. Heck, in '87 a diesel VW golf that was a turbocharged, mechanical injected beast of a car still got 64 mpg! You'd think that with the advent of much advanced engine management, that number would be increased by SOME margin by now.

Manufacturers these days are releasing cars with "such good mileage" and most of the numbers I'm seeing are still in the mid-low 20's for most standard sized cars. You have to start looking at econoboxes to get into the 30's, and 40's you need a diesel or a hybrid.

In the mid 60's my grandpa went out and bought some new Ford sedan (I can't recall what) but he was amazed by how good of mileage it got. With a big V-8 and I think a 3 speed auto he could get 35 mpg on the highway. He told his dealer one time, and they offered to buy it back from him and GIVE him another car. Evidentally they had created some freak and wanted to get ahold of it to know how it got such good mileage. He kept the car though for a while, he figured he'd rather get the car that has good mileage than some other sedan they'd give him. lol

True story though, my dad tells me about it all the time whenever I start talking about gas mileage.

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 02-27-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE1221 View Post
The GM cars that I've ridden in always appeared to have ridiculously high overdrives. They seemed to be pulling roughly 2000RPM at 70mph, maybe the astrovan was similar?
I agree. Even a new Corvette can get over 30 mpg when driven nicely. I guess that kind of contradicts my previous post, but I guess there are always some exceptions to a rule.

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 02-28-2008, 10:19 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Yes 4.3 V6 and overdrive too.. I know the astro does NOT rev high when in overdrive. Even so I can keep the svx around 2000 rpm or less and still wonder why it doesn't do better.

Of course the ASTRO has had many problems, things breaking and rusting as compared to the SUBARU's I own or have owned.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:01 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Getting ready to start my MPG test... Leaving from Raleigh, NC and driving to Roanoke, VA in about 30 minutes to see Jason Porter (some of you might remember him from the boards about 3-4 years ago)... Filling up with gas down the street. maps says it's 377 miles... Then later tonight i'm driving down to Eden, NC... Then tomorrow on to Laurinburg, NC and finally Sunday after the Autocross, back to Raleigh...

I'll post my mileage results when I return... Have a good weekend everyone!

~ Chris

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-07-2008, 07:35 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
I agree. Even a new Corvette can get over 30 mpg when driven nicely. I guess that kind of contradicts my previous post, but I guess there are always some exceptions to a rule.
My friend's 6.0L GTO averages 24 mpg when he doesn't romp on it. When he does... hello single digits
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 03-07-2008, 07:37 PM
My car's Italian, right?

My corolla 3 speed auto averaged 37 mpg in the summer... currently with my mixed driving I only see about 30.

For the way better acceleration, handling, brake, comfort and coolness... I still take out my svx....
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 03-09-2008, 06:51 PM

Alright, back from my journey and here are the results from the two times I had to fill up... First of all a recap of the journey...

Raleigh, NC -----> Roanoke, VA -----> Eden, NC -----> Laurinburg, NC -----> Raleigh, NC

First tank... 282 miles / 14.3 gal. = 19.72 mpg
Second tank... 419 miles / 16.7 gal. = 25.08 mpg

Damn it!! I can't seem to break into the upper 20's!!... I think 26 mpg was the best I ever got... I would say that there is high hope for the current tank since I filled up in Fayetteville, NC and made it all the way back to Raleigh without the fuel needle moving hardly any...

Well, there are my results... A 1995 SVX L with a WRX 5MT swap, Koni/GC, 3 piece Stebro Exhaust and blah blah blah...

~ Chris

** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-09-2008, 08:08 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX View Post
Damn it!! I can't seem to break into the upper 20's!!... I think 26 mpg was the best I ever got... I would say that there is high hope for the current tank since I filled up in Fayetteville, NC and made it all the way back to Raleigh without the fuel needle moving hardly any...

Well, there are my results... A 1995 SVX L with a WRX 5MT swap, Koni/GC, 3 piece Stebro Exhaust and blah blah blah...

~ Chris
What was your average speed?
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 03-10-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE1221 View Post
What was your average speed?
I was never above 78 mph... I remember that. But to work out my average speed I'd need a GPS system to do that for me, and I don't have one of those anymore.

I know the first tank was about half full when I left Raleigh and drove up through the mountains into Virginia. That's why the mileage really sucked on that tank. The second tank I was on my way to Eden, NC and was trying to stay about 65 mph as much as possible, but you know that hills and stuff aren't all that good for economy...

I think the only flat places I can go is out east... And it looks like I'm going to Wilmington this coming weekend so maybe then I'll get a better record of mileage since the current tank is of me doing about 65mph from Fayetteville, NC to Raleigh, and it's only just below Full... I think I can make it to Wilmington and back on the tank in there now... I'll post the mileage for that one when I get back this coming sunday...

~ Chris

Old 03-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Tired

What type of gas were you running? I run 89 in mine and get around 23-26 mpg. As I posted before my driving is 80% highway – High Point to Winston-Salem (62 miles round trip). I drive slowly though – right at 65 and short bursts up top 70 mph.

Interestingly I’ve never replaced my o2 sensors. I have around 156k on the odometer now. I have another high mileage car and replaced the o2 sensors in it and didn’t see any real improvement. I guess I’ll leave them in until my mpg really drops or my CE light comes on.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX JAZZ View Post
What type of gas were you running? I run 89 in mine and get around 23-26 mpg. As I posted before my driving is 80% highway – High Point to Winston-Salem (62 miles round trip). I drive slowly though – right at 65 and short bursts up top 70 mph.

Interestingly I’ve never replaced my o2 sensors. I have around 156k on the odometer now. I have another high mileage car and replaced the o2 sensors in it and didn’t see any real improvement. I guess I’ll leave them in until my mpg really drops or my CE light comes on.
93 octane ONLY... I've never put anything else in it...

Yeah, my O2 sensors could be going bad, I've noticed my exhaust alittle more dirty than it was when I first installed it a few years ago... Oh well, I'll just wait for the CEL to come on before I go dropping $200+ on O2 sensors...

~ Chris

Old 03-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Fayetteville what were you doing in my neck-of-the-woods? ^^; I have seen one other here, Ebony and sunspots.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 03-12-2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
Fayetteville what were you doing in my neck-of-the-woods? ^^; I have seen one other here, Ebony and sunspots.
I was at the THSCC Autocross at the Laurinburg-Maxton airport...

http://thscc.com/general/info/calendar.shtml

Co-driving this...

And managed to pull off 1st place in ASP by beating the next guy (a Porsche 911) by about 1.5 seconds

~ Chris