Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-13-2008, 05:10 PM

Front Differentials

Does anyone know where i can get one for a 92 svx for a reasonably price?

also, are there any good guides/instructions on how to replace it?

Old 01-13-2008, 07:28 PM
Yugo aficionado

You could always pick up a used trans that stopped shifting for dirt cheap, and swap the whole diff housing and pinion gear. Give me a day or so to find the pics I took when doing mine and I'll try to write something up for ya. In the meantime do some research on setting the gear lash. Or maybe someone will beat me to the punch

Edit: Pics in digital limbo for the moment.. I'll start writing without them.
4:11 trans
Lightweight crank pulley
Redline Shockproof
Trans Cooler
Viper 550 HF Alarm/Remote Start
18" Enkei Evo5's

Last edited by Psychosis5150; 01-13-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Yugo aficionado

If you do get a donor trans, we'll start with that. That way you will be familiar with the junk trans before digging into the good one. I'm going by memory here, so hopefully I don't miss any thing..(If I do some one please correct me) I started by removing the bolts holding the tail housing, and pulling it off. The solenoid "C" will be attached to it so you need to unplug the connector inside. Once in there you find the transfer clutch, parking pawl, and a large nut. That nut holds a gear onto the front pinion gear shaft. I didn't have the right sized socket, and wasn't paying almost $20 for one so I used a small pipe wrench to remove it. Lock the trans in park so the shaft can't spin, and some help to hold the trans in place might be nice too. Once thats off the transfer clutch should slide off the shaft fairly easily, but some negotiation with the parking pawl might be needed. Also there is a thrust bearing and washer behind the clutch pack, so pay attention to their installation order. You could leave the transfer clutch on if memory serves me correctly, but I took it off for it's own safety. I'll move on to the front diff housing in my next post.
Lightweight crank pulley
Redline Shockproof
Trans Cooler
18" Enkei Evo5's
Old 01-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Yugo aficionado

If you have a torque converter still in the trans slide it off the input shaft. Then there are several bolts, and two nuts around the outside of the trans holding the main body, the oil pump, and the front diff housing together. The 2 nuts are located near the bottom. Once all are removed I used a rubber mallet to separate the diff housing from the oil pump. If you don't know, the oil pump is the about 2 inch thick plate looking part in between the main body and the diff housing, and I think is steel instead of aluminum. Either way leave it on! Once you have the diff housing off, you should see a tube that goes around the input shaft. It might stay on the oil pump, or the diff housing. It keeps the trans fluid from getting in the diff and vice versa.. You will also see the pinion gear surrounded by 4 bolts, remove those. Then with your rubber mallet go to the back of the trans and find the shaft you took the big nut off. Tap the shaft out towards the front of the trans, the gear should come off the shaft as it nears the end. When you get the gear off you should be able to go back to the front and pull the whole pinion gear shaft assembly out. Now your done with the donor trans. Reassembly in the next post!
Lightweight crank pulley
Redline Shockproof
Trans Cooler
18" Enkei Evo5's
Old 01-13-2008, 08:49 PM
Yugo aficionado

Ok, so the donor trans has been pillaged for it's parts, now follow the same steps on the "good" one. When you pulled the pinion shaft out you will see a thin spacer behind the bearing flange. This is how you set the proper gear contact pattern, by adding or removing spacers. Mine went together with just the one that was on the donor shaft. I'm far from a pro here so like I said before take some time and do a little reading on the subject... Ok, ready? Before reassembly you will need to clean the gasket surfaces, and purchase a new gasket for the rear housing, part #31337AA120, and while your at it 2 new pins to hold the front axles onto the diff stubs part #905190005. Also some black gasket sealer, like hondabond, or similar. With parts in hand, slide the "new" pinion shaft into the good trans, and reinstall the 4 bolts into the flange. Then the tube around the input shaft if it came off. Next I coated a few teeth on the new diff ring gear with white lithium grease to check the gear lash. Install the housing, tighten the bolts, and give the pinion shaft a few good spins both ways to rotate the gears. Then pull the diff housing back off and see where the teeth on the gears are touching. The clean spots should be centered on the ring gear teeth, if they are towards the tips you need to shim the pinion gear more, and if towards the valleys remove some shims. Like I said, I'm no pro. Take your time, and do some research and you'll be fine. Once your satisfied with your gear lash, apply some sealant to both ends of that tube around the input shaft, and around the diff housing, and bolt that puppy back on! Now you can install the gear on the back end of the pinion shaft, thread the nut on, and put the transfer clutch back on. Lock the trans back in park, and tighten the nut down. Next put the rear housing back on, don't forget the wires for the solenoid, make sure they are out of harms way. You should be ready for the fun job of putting your repaired trans back in the car now! The time it takes to get that beast back in place should allow the sealants to set. Also you should put a new trans filter in while your under there. I'm pretty sure there is a write up on how to pull and reinstall a trans in the how to section. Hope this helps, and feel free to ask questions, or add corrections if I missed anything.
Lightweight crank pulley
Redline Shockproof
Trans Cooler
18" Enkei Evo5's
Old 01-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
sending pm

Tom