How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-03-2007, 10:06 AM
KGilvin

Fuel injectors going bad??

about a week a go i had noticed a rough idle. i checked the codes and pulled 18 - injector #5. a week goes by. it smooths out. in the past few days my fuel mileage has gone to about 100miles/half tank. so i pull my codes again to see what was going on. it throws out codes 14,16,17,18 and 19. does this mean my all those injectors are going bad? im not to sure what to conclude from this. it doesnt seem to be running rough. should i look in to cleaning them or should i go to replacing them (not to much of an option due to expense)????
Old 09-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
sounds to me like a loose ground in the injector harness. Check on the pass side rear of the intake manifold. There is a 12mm headed bolt that holds the ground. Make sure its contact is clean and that the bolt is tight. Get back to us

Tom
Old 09-03-2007, 05:19 PM
KGilvin

so i checked the ground, it seemed fine and it was tight. i spliced in a new ground and cleared the codes out. I ran the car for awhile and checked the codes again and they came back. im not sure what else to check???
Old 09-03-2007, 05:58 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
check to be sure the connectors on the back of the engine are all the way in. Make sure the pins are all the way in the connectors as well.

Tom
Old 09-05-2007, 05:22 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I do remember that when the O2 sensor was going bad I would get injector codes. It was not the injectors on my SVX engine. They have got over 250k miles on them. If your O2 sensor is old it may be time to replace it or both since you got codes on both sides.

Then of course there is the Throttle Body cleaning if that has not been done.

Take care of that SVX,

John
Old 09-05-2007, 05:38 PM
KGilvin

I checked all the connections and they were secure. i also pulled the front two on both sides and they look pretty good. i think im gonna clean them this weekend. they pulled out relatively easy compared to what i read. i also "seafoamed" the engine tonight. i update on what that did. Im also going to check out the 02 sensors since that seems like a pretty good idea. how much do those usually run?
Old 09-06-2007, 04:23 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

It's been awhile since I did mine. Subaruparts.com list them at $99.02. You can get other ones for less but then wires have to be spliced. It's not worth the time to do the splicing in my opinion. The O2's can get stuck when removing. They get sticking when taken them out. It is recommended to lossen 1/4 turn and spray in PBblaster and then wait at least 5minutes before taken out the rest of the way. The blaster lubricates the threads. Otherwise......... it is easy to strip the threads since they are so dry from all that heat.

Take care of that SVX,

John
Old 09-06-2007, 11:17 AM
KGilvin

another question! i was looking at the exhaust near the 02 sensor and it seems to have a pretty good leak in it forward of the sensor. could this cause any problems with the 02 sensors? replacing the sensors is pretty pricey. maybe patching up the leak would help?