Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Talking Soon to be an SVX owner

I am soon to be a 1994 Subaru SVX LS owner. I honestly had never seen this car before I came upon it in a local car ad magazine. I instantly feel in love with it at first site. The style is unique and the performance, as I can tell, is great. This SVX is Red (I do not know if it called a unique name) and has some mileage to it, 170,000. I noticed nothing mechanically wrong with it when I test drove it, shifted fine(Automatic), nothing rough, excellent interior and exterior condition. Only thing I noticed and was told is the top of the radiator has a crack in it that has been sealed, but replacing a radiator is nothing to me . I have not yet purchased it, as I need to get money in order but Tuesday looks to be the day I can own this. Is there any advice I can receive from this community , that is anything to look for , before I purchase this car? I cannot wait to own this car.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
wait for it....

Tom
Old 08-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
wait for it....

Tom
Old 08-05-2007, 07:00 PM
Maniac modifier

oh... not the car... the complimentary post from Budfreak wishing you good luck and that he is the only person you should buy parts from evAR!!!!

Seriously though, if it is a red one, that means its a 94 or newer... Make sure its AWD otherwise... don't waste your time and find a different one

Tom
Old 08-05-2007, 07:17 PM

I second the awd. Since this is the first time you have ever really had experience with an svx I say, take some time to check over the forums before you buy. Not trying to scare you away but there are quite a few things about the svx that need to be adressed in deciding if it is a good buy. You stated the tranny was fine, but 170,000 is quite a lot of miles to have on a stock one even if it is a 94, the stock svx tranny is geared very low and goes out on most of them, you will find that 4:44 geared subaru trannies from other models are what most replace them with. The svx only came in auto but some will also convert to a 5 speed or 6 speed out of a legacy or impreza. From what I know Tom is the top dog for the manual swaps and a member svxfiles is the master of the 4:44 swaps. really listen for the wheel bearings in the rear if you test it out again. At 170,000 they are most likely bad if they have not been replaced, or replaced properly. One thing I know I will look for in my next svx(yes I know its overkill) is the seem where the lower plastic cladding meets the metal, That is where rust will start up on these cars, under the cladding is a cheap metal strip which will rust out easily and will spread to the actual body metal. If there is any rust or bubbly paint comign up above the cladding then underneath is a whole lot of rust eating away. Again not trying to scare anyone, I just wish I had been much more picky when chosing my first svx. Oh and cool your in NC. Im in concord(charlotte) Im not sure how far I am from you btu if you are in need of any help with purchasing and or working on this svx if you get it just let me know.
edit just map quested it Im about 3 hours out of wher your located

Last edited by gwarusee; 08-05-2007 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
So I take it FWD is not a good idea one bit? I like the look and style of the car. This one I am looking to buy is FWD. Is there a reason that FWD seems not to be wanted?
Old 08-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo
So I take it FWD is not a good idea one bit? I like the look and style of the car. This one I am looking to buy is FWD. Is there a reason that FWD seems not to be wanted?
FWD was offered by Subaru to cut the cost down a little and make it an entry level car (more affordable) due to crap sales in 92. It is a strip down base model... you are better off finding a 92 LS-l or a 94-97 LSi AWD because its an SVX without it. it performs totally different.

Tom
Old 08-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
FWD was offered by Subaru to cut the cost down a little and make it an entry level car (more affordable) due to crap sales in 92. It is a strip down base model... you are better off finding a 92 LS-l or a 94-97 LSi AWD because its an SVX without it. it performs totally different.

Tom
Well, seems the dreams are crushed then
Old 08-05-2007, 08:17 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Yea I had my AWD fail on me, and it's not fun driving with it in the winter or the rain..... If you can wait a little longer and keep your eye out for the AWD model, it's well worth it.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 08-05-2007, 08:26 PM
Maniac modifier

no don't lose hope... invest in raffle tickets to win a 92 LS-L Claret with a 5 speed

Tom
Old 08-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Well, I might get it and trade someone I know it for a newer car. I was really hoping it would be a good idea. And to think I was happy I found it . I will have to decide what to do. Thanks for the advice, I hope I could find a AWD, I assumed something was too good to be true about this car, and now I know why. Not AWD

Last edited by Wikedjuggalo; 08-05-2007 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:38 PM
OOC for a while

Send a message via AIM to 94SubieSVX
There is absolutley NOTHING wrong with a FWD SVX , except the fact that they're a tad slower at accelerating from the start.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94SubieSVX
There is absolutley NOTHING wrong with a FWD SVX , except the fact that they're a tad slower at accelerating from the start.
Some sunshine comes through the clouds
Old 08-05-2007, 08:42 PM
OOC for a while

Send a message via AIM to 94SubieSVX
....Though I'm sure an AWD would be more fun offroad/auto x
Old 08-05-2007, 08:45 PM
One teal and One yellow

for 170,000miles, how much are they asking from you?

Does the one you test-drive had things abs, leather seats and sunroof?
Just to make sure if it's an awd for you.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05