Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-09-2007, 07:39 PM
Stunt Professional

Registered SVX
Angry Starter?

when I started my car for a couple of times it kind of made a bit of a grinding sound but started up for a couple of days, but now it makes a whirring sound coming from the starter. When I bought the car it had a fairly shot battery and I haven't gotten around to fixing it. does anybody have an opinion as to whether it's the starter or whether it's not getting enough juice? I fear it is probably the starter.

also, can someone give me a starter part#?
92 svx l
Old 06-09-2007, 07:45 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Your description is a little tough to diagnose. Don't buy a new one though you can have a local starter alt. shop rebuild yours for under what a non oem factory remaned would cost. Usually $100-125 US. Best guess is you've got a sticky gear set but that's just a guess.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:29 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
I've had that exact issue on my nissan altima. There's two parts to the starter, the tiny gear that's connected to the electric motor, and the solenoid. What happens is when you hit the starter the solenoid engages and pushes the gear out to engage and turn the engine over, then the electrical motor activates and spins it to turn the engine over. When you have an almost dead battery and you just hear the clicking noise, it's the solenoid pushing that little gear out, but the electric motor not turning due to lack of juice.

What it sounds like in your car is the little gear engaging, and spinning, but the solenoid is shot, and not pushing the gear out to make contact with the large gear to turn the motor over. BEWARE! With that electric motor spinning, without the resistance of the motor, it's going extremely fast, and iwll burn out quickly. You can remove your starter and check eelctrical contacts tot he solenoid, youc an hook 12v up to it, and see if it kicks out and starts spinning to troubleshoot it. Chances are you'll have to replace the starter though, as i'm pretty sure youc annot change out the solenoid individually. Good luckw ith your troubles,a ndi f you have any other questions let me know.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 06-11-2007, 12:42 PM
Stunt Professional

Registered SVX
thanks

I thought that was what it was and in my researches had determined that the solenoid is not replaceable individually and I would probably have to replace the whole thing. The car is in the shop today and a starter is being overnighted. A little painful on the wallet but these things happen. I still love my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySVX
I've had that exact issue on my nissan altima. There's two parts to the starter, the tiny gear that's connected to the electric motor, and the solenoid. What happens is when you hit the starter the solenoid engages and pushes the gear out to engage and turn the engine over, then the electrical motor activates and spins it to turn the engine over. When you have an almost dead battery and you just hear the clicking noise, it's the solenoid pushing that little gear out, but the electric motor not turning due to lack of juice.

What it sounds like in your car is the little gear engaging, and spinning, but the solenoid is shot, and not pushing the gear out to make contact with the large gear to turn the motor over. BEWARE! With that electric motor spinning, without the resistance of the motor, it's going extremely fast, and iwll burn out quickly. You can remove your starter and check eelctrical contacts tot he solenoid, youc an hook 12v up to it, and see if it kicks out and starts spinning to troubleshoot it. Chances are you'll have to replace the starter though, as i'm pretty sure youc annot change out the solenoid individually. Good luckw ith your troubles,a ndi f you have any other questions let me know.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave555
I thought that was what it was and in my researches had determined that the solenoid is not replaceable individually and I would probably have to replace the whole thing. The car is in the shop today and a starter is being overnighted. A little painful on the wallet but these things happen. I still love my car.
Why on earth would you get another starter? You have one already that just needs rebuilt (or did as I'm assuming you need to send your core back in). Like I said, a starter/alternator shop would typically charge $125ish US for rebuilding yours. I'd be calling my "shop" back and having them cancel their fleecing of you.