Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-24-2007, 01:12 AM
I kill more trannies then god

more of just it stop accelerating , sits there for a second then decides to go into third
Old 05-24-2007, 12:33 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
your brake band might just be too tight. It's also possible they messed up on the shift kit and brake band apply pressure isn't going down like it should during the 2-3 shift. Have them re-adjust the brake band as a starting point. If that doesn't work you need to have them revisit the shift kit.

No problems engaging 4th? Only problem is getting out of 2nd? If you have problems with 4th too your high clutch might be bad.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:34 PM

shifts great, the only problem is the lagg going out of second
Old 05-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Just some dude.

notice the confidence in my diagnosis? I'm not fumbling around guessing or throwing out maybes about something I don't know about.

If the problem is solely getting out of 2nd either the brake band is too tight or the band apply pressure isn't releasing propperly for the 2-3 shift (meaning they messed up the shift kit).
Old 05-24-2007, 04:27 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname
notice the confidence in my diagnosis? I'm not fumbling around guessing or throwing out maybes about something I don't know about.

If the problem is solely getting out of 2nd either the brake band is too tight or the band apply pressure isn't releasing propperly for the 2-3 shift (meaning they messed up the shift kit).
I have not been fumbling around and guessing.

It has been necessary be sure of the exact nature of the fault, which is now defined as follows:-

“ it wont shift out of second unless i let off of the gas down to less than 2/3 of the way depressed,”

“more of just it stop accelerating , sits there for a second then decides to go into third.”

It will be seen that I made particular reference to the TPS for good reason, as a delay in shifting is the essence of the complaint.

The shifting 3 - 2 is electronically controlled by the TCU, via solenoid valve no. 3, in conduction with the 3 -2 timing valve, specifically to time/delay the shift to provide smooth operation.

N.B. There has been no indication provided, indicating slip or drag. If brake band adjustment is required, it must be that the symptoms as stated, are confusing.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-24-2007, 05:01 PM
Just some dude.

Trevor, I wasn't commenting on your comments. I was just encouraging him to take my advice seriously instead of dismissing it saying it shifts fine. I'd hate to see him dissmiss my help off hand and burn up his brake band thinking I'm picking on his shift kit when half a turn of a wrench might fix his woes.

The difference between 2nd and 3rd gear is that the brake band is released and the high clutch is engaged to go from 2nd to 3rd. If the transmission is not wanting to go into 3rd either the high clutch isn't engageing properly or the brake band isn't dissengaging. If his other comments are assumed to be correct then his high clutch can be assumed to be functioning--that leaves a problem with the brake band dissengaging. Therefore either his brake band is too tight or the fluid pressure is not being propperly released for the 2-3 shift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
I have not been fumbling around and guessing.

It has been necessary be sure of the exact nature of the fault, which is now defined as follows:-

“ it wont shift out of second unless i let off of the gas down to less than 2/3 of the way depressed,”

“more of just it stop accelerating , sits there for a second then decides to go into third.”

It will be seen that I made particular reference to the TPS for good reason, as a delay in shifting is the essence of the complaint.

The shifting 3 - 2 is electronically controlled by the TCU, via solenoid valve no. 3, in conduction with the 3 -2 timing valve, specifically to time/delay the shift to provide smooth operation.

N.B. There has been no indication provided, indicating slip or drag. If brake band adjustment is required, it must be that the symptoms as stated, are confusing.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:25 PM

Registered SVX
Sorry that I got the wrong slant on things. I am becoming rather frustrated with threads which become tangled and confused, through inexact original information etc. In this case one must admit that an exact description does pose a problem.

Does it, or does it not shift fine? Is it, or is it not related only to a delay? Both scenarios have now been answered and it is up to the enquirer to decide which is applicable.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-24-2007, 08:59 PM

as ofd right now, shifts fine 1-2, 2-3 slight delay about 1/2-1 second, 3-4 doesn't seem sluggish but not quite as fast as 1-2,4-3 shifts fine,3-2 likes to go in early(bump the rpms past the red line and slow the car down) but shifts fine, 2-1 instant, no delay that i can see whats so ever,
tried to make that as clear as possable i'll try to answer questions as clearly as i can
Old 06-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
So did loosening the band brake resolve the issue?