Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Wanted or For Sale > SVX's and SVX Parts Wanted > SVX Parts Wanted

Old 12-06-2006, 05:48 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Wanted: EG33

Yeah... well this is the 4th EG33 that I have fried and I am in the market for another one... Doesn't need to be anything spectacular but I am looking for a good working motor with less than 125k. It will merely be keeping my silver running until I cann afford the time and cost to build a race motor... I am also in a tight spot because of the holidays so price makes the difference here... Let me know what you guys have

Tom
Old 12-06-2006, 07:05 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Doot! I just traded our 2 motors for 1 race ready runner which I thought was a smashingly good deal. Might want to talk with Hocrest about the one that is at Easy Pull New Ringgold. It was a front hit and was kinda pressed up against the rad support if I remember his talk correctly. I don't remember seeing the car last time I was there but I tend to miss a fair amount when I'm looking for 1 thing. If its still there you could take it home for $50 or so plus for another $20 they yank it and drop it in your trunk. I know it would some timing belt work from the hit but not sure on the rest, as I said Hocrest might remember more.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:32 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Htownsvx
motor

i have a motor with 117000 mile on it im in houston tx
pm me if you are still looking
thanks
matt
Old 12-20-2006, 07:23 AM

Motor?

What the heck happened to your motor? I read in another post that it was "fryed". Specifically what happened? Detonation? Overheat? Melt? I just want to see what I have in store.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:45 AM
Maniac modifier

detonation prob fried my rings

Tp,
Old 12-20-2006, 11:23 AM

Frying

That is too bad. It would be interesting to see what it looks like when you tear it down. Our engines have a lot of miles to be blowing them. I wonder if this is part of the problem or it is more event (detonation) related. I have heard of issues with the pistons heating when race teams have blown the EG33. They stayed at about 10 psi with race fuel and no intercooling. At any rate you might want to install an EGT at some point at least before you tune another engine. Did you hear anything? Did you just start loosing compression?

Good luck
Old 12-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Sorry to hear about this Tom. On two accounts really. I hate to see good money or a good engine go to waste on a friend of mine. The other reason is same as Chuck, I am blowing mine soon, I want to keep it from melting.

I intend low boost, low for me being 8 to 10 lbs I expect. In addition I am dropping the CR to about 8.2 which will be a help with detonation. Only a help mind, I'm using an Eaton and they heat the air more.

By rights we should be intercooling the charge. Subaru does. Mitsubishi does. Jaguar does. Mazda does. Toyota does.

What foolhardiness makes us think that our engines can use forced induction onto high compression with no charge cooling and not have heat and detonation problems, against the weight of engineering knowledge and experience in all these major companies?

" Look Ma, the army is out of step with our Johnny "

Space for intercoolers is a problem in the SVX. I am thinking at the moment that a custom liquid/air intercooler built for the space back of the throttle bodies, like the early 90s Legacy Turbo, this is the way forward.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-20-2006, 12:06 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
Motor

Tom..pm Sent

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 12-20-2006, 06:54 PM
Maniac modifier

Eric, thanks but as I have already told u in the reply I have a low mileage engine going in the car this week...

Chuck, I did have audible knock and I was testing software for LAN at the time so we knew what was happening. I am sure there is going to be a hole on the side of one of my rear pistons but I have not had a chance to take it apart yet.

Joe, I had a feeling I wasn't going to be able to run 12.5psi reliably, thats why I have a daily driver... I am reducing boost to 9psi and I may go for a small nitorus shot to act as an intercooler when I want to race it... I blew the motor on pump 93 but just before I totally killed it I filled up with race fuel 103 (waste of $60 in 9 gallons). I went to take my last run while I was already blowing smoke out the tail and half way thru second gear, I shut it down and got off the track... I knew she was no good. I have been through several engines in 3 of my svxi... I have gotten used to the idea of blowing em up This time I am gonna take it apart and build it for more boost but that will be a slow rolling project as I have much bigger plans for a different "kind" of SVX

Thanks guys but all is well here and it will stay that way even if I do keep killin motors

Tom
Old 12-20-2006, 07:05 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
until I cann afford the time and cost to build a race motor...

Tom

don't leave home without one!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-20-2006, 10:32 PM

this is prolly my first post in 5 months on this board. use meth, not nos. you can get similar results with meth as you do with nos. here's the thing with nos. sure it cools the intake charge, but it also heats up the egt's more. do you really want higher egt's? if you run meth you can knock 80-100 degrees off your intake temp, drop the egt a lot, add more timing for more power, run a leaner a/f ratio for power. i forget the exact number, but adding meth to 93 octane gas makes the 93 octane act like 108 i think. meth you can refil at wal mart, try that with nos.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:44 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieingSVX
this is prolly my first post in 5 months on this board. use meth, not nos. you can get similar results with meth as you do with nos. here's the thing with nos. sure it cools the intake charge, but it also heats up the egt's more. do you really want higher egt's? if you run meth you can knock 80-100 degrees off your intake temp, drop the egt a lot, add more timing for more power, run a leaner a/f ratio for power. i forget the exact number, but adding meth to 93 octane gas makes the 93 octane act like 108 i think. meth you can refil at wal mart, try that with nos.
This is a fair point and was discussed before. Using any alcohol with the fuel will give higher octane and cooler burn at the cost of less power per cc of fuel burned. The advantage is as you suggest, you can boost more and run leaner for more power, as it is cooler. Your consumption will go up, but if it's power you're after.......

I think lan is already addressing this with code to deal with E85, and this would be a very good solution for racing.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-21-2006, 02:46 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Drop the CR, and step back with your hands in the air

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Eric, thanks but as I have already told u in the reply I have a low mileage engine going in the car this week...

Chuck, I did have audible knock and I was testing software for LAN at the time so we knew what was happening. I am sure there is going to be a hole on the side of one of my rear pistons but I have not had a chance to take it apart yet.

Joe, I had a feeling I wasn't going to be able to run 12.5psi reliably, thats why I have a daily driver... I am reducing boost to 9psi and I may go for a small nitorus shot to act as an intercooler when I want to race it... I blew the motor on pump 93 but just before I totally killed it I filled up with race fuel 103 (waste of $60 in 9 gallons). I went to take my last run while I was already blowing smoke out the tail and half way thru second gear, I shut it down and got off the track... I knew she was no good. I have been through several engines in 3 of my svxi... I have gotten used to the idea of blowing em up This time I am gonna take it apart and build it for more boost but that will be a slow rolling project as I have much bigger plans for a different "kind" of SVX

Thanks guys but all is well here and it will stay that way even if I do keep killin motors

Tom
Tom, that clarifies the situation, thank you.

You mention building a racing engine, sounds good. Are you planning to use lower compression in any way? Forged pistons? Stuff like that?

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-21-2006, 07:59 AM
Maniac modifier

Yes, it would be a fully built motor

Tom
Old 12-21-2006, 08:03 AM

don't forget with e85 you need huge injectors because it takes more of that to make the same power as regular gas.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: