Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-14-2006, 06:49 PM

Friday the 13th must hate our cars

My damage ain't bad or anything like that, but here goes. Right after work, heading home, my cam angle sensor burned out. Engine shuttered then shut down. Right in the middle of rush hour in Waikiki with all the tourists and commuters. I kept on cranking it just to get a few yards foward to get to the side. Then it just keeps shuttering and shutting down. I have bad crank and cam seals. So while this shuttering thingy was going on I noticed my car starts smoking up like crazy. I was so embarresed. But I just kept chugging along till I reached an openning on the side across a tourists bus stop -uncool-. To make matters worst, this lady from across the street started to yell at me, " your car's on fire!!". I'm thinking she's telling me my car's smoking bad. But my car was REALLY on fire. One of the store's workers gave me a fire extinguisher and I blasted it. The oil gushed on my exhaust I'm assuming, and flared up. My girl bought a new sensor, I put it in right there and drove it home. This is all from a sensor, mean ahh .
Old 10-16-2006, 11:40 AM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
And then you get hit with an earthquake. How did that go?
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)

Last edited by bwb3; 10-16-2006 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:50 AM

Arrow Thats one crazy story

That is one crazy story. Very resourcefull to be able to change a sensor after that kind of a public display, and just be like, ok thank you folks the show is over and drive home.

How did you know it was that sensor?
Old 10-16-2006, 12:30 PM
Maniac modifier

well really the timing from the ignition cam way late because of the bad sensor, all of your combustion hit after the exhaust valve was openm wich shot all that fire and fuel into the exhaust making it HOT. This in turn began to melt the rubber hangers on your exhaust and ignite any oil residue on it. Hence the fire... good luck, I have been down that road before

Tom
Old 10-16-2006, 06:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
well really the timing from the ignition cam way late because of the bad sensor, all of your combustion hit after the exhaust valve was openm wich shot all that fire and fuel into the exhaust making it HOT. This in turn began to melt the rubber hangers on your exhaust and ignite any oil residue on it. Hence the fire... good luck, I have been down that road before

Tom
do you hold the record for most fires in a svx?
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 10-16-2006, 06:29 PM
Maniac modifier

actually I have only had one of my 4 svxes ever catch fire. It was just after installing a news engine... which just so happened to have a bad cam angle sensor... all the grease from swapping the engine burst into flames on the exhaust... after the fire was out and I knew there wasn't any damage, I replaced the sensor with a good one and bam... the new owner drove it away not even an hour later... One fire and I am hoping to keep it that way. I have had several fuel leaks in my silver but luckily none of them resulted in a fire

Tom
Old 10-16-2006, 11:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
what about the NO2 fire?
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 10-16-2006, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwb3
And then you get hit with an earthquake. How did that go?
HAHA, Well where I live, it felt more jiggly then hard hitting. Ummm... then the power shuts down state wide 5 min later. This was like 7:20am. I got power back about 4:00pm. My area was one of the first. The last few that regained power was this morning, sun shinning and all , heh, sad yeah.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer999
That is one crazy story. Very resourcefull to be able to change a sensor after that kind of a public display, and just be like, ok thank you folks the show is over and drive home.

How did you know it was that sensor?
yeah talking about that, when I was waiting for my girl to come, I could here the retail dudes across the street talking to each other about how I was screwed and how it was to bad the car still looked good (thinking I had to trash it, I guess ) But anyways, I left my car to go get something to drink, came back when my girl arrived. When I got the sensor in and started to drive off, one of the workers pointed at me with eyes wide open and calling his co-worker to check the car down in flames drive off. It was funny .
Old 10-17-2006, 12:21 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suby Fan
what about the NO2 fire?
It was a backfire... didn't actually catch anything on fire

Tom
Old 10-18-2006, 08:41 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
actually I have only had one of my 4 svxes ever catch fire. It was just after installing a news engine... which just so happened to have a bad cam angle sensor... all the grease from swapping the engine burst into flames on the exhaust... after the fire was out and I knew there wasn't any damage, I replaced the sensor with a good one and bam... the new owner drove it away not even an hour later... One fire and I am hoping to keep it that way. I have had several fuel leaks in my silver but luckily none of them resulted in a fire

Tom
Hmmm...hope it doesnt follow the trend.Pretty close thus far, have the engine swap, the greese and oil, and the bad sensor.
P.S.-Got the car running

[/Hijack]
Good to see another...not destroyed...svx
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 10-18-2006, 09:57 PM
Maniac modifier

glad to hear it Eric... I knew u would get it all done. good luck with the 96 and let me know when u want to go twin engine with the 94

Tom