Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-10-2006, 03:44 PM
AK Rowdy

Send a message via AIM to Crysis
Big Problem!

Alright, it seems I have a gas leak and the problem is I cant find it. There arent any puddles under my car or outside smells. The gasoline smell is inside my car and it has been there for about a week now and it only seems to get stronger! Plus, I am about to only get 250 miles in a 18.5 gallon tank...thats 13.5 mil.gal! And today my gas light came on at a 1/4 a tank, which is very unusual because it only comes on once the needle passes the E mark by a mile.

Is my gas gauge broken? I have looked under my car numerous times trying to find nething leaking and there is nothing (not even a smell) . I thought that since the smell is only on the inside of my car then i could of gotten it on my clothes when pumping gas, which has happened before, but now im worried. Any help like where someone else may have had gas leaks?
Old 10-10-2006, 04:13 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Well you may need to trace the fuel lines from the tank to the engine. People have mentioned that the lines at the tank had rusted through and needed replacement.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:15 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crysis
Alright, it seems I have a gas leak and the problem is I cant find it. There arent any puddles under my car or outside smells. The gasoline smell is inside my car and it has been there for about a week now and it only seems to get stronger! Plus, I am about to only get 250 miles in a 18.5 gallon tank...thats 13.5 mil.gal! And today my gas light came on at a 1/4 a tank, which is very unusual because it only comes on once the needle passes the E mark by a mile.

Is my gas gauge broken? I have looked under my car numerous times trying to find nething leaking and there is nothing (not even a smell) . I thought that since the smell is only on the inside of my car then i could of gotten it on my clothes when pumping gas, which has happened before, but now im worried. Any help like where someone else may have had gas leaks?
I had a leak spring up recently on my car and it turned out to be the return line at the tank. It was obvious though by the smell and it could be seen dripping under the car. Bring it over this weekend and I'll take a look at it for you.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:26 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
remove your back seat and check for leaking near the fuel pump.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:49 AM

Check your connections to the fuel filter. Mine was seeping at the filter-out connection only under pressure, Strong gas smell at start-up, no puddles, no odor once moving.

dcb
Old 10-11-2006, 10:27 AM

I work on car for a living and I have seen many cars that you get a gas smell more in the mornings. what I have found alot is when the motor is cold it will seep gas at spots where the lines go from rubber to hard lines. but only leaks when it is cold....it doesnt take much gas to smell it.....
Old 10-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Own'eded

Send a message via AIM to curly2k3 Send a message via MSN to curly2k3
i would also check the injectors, i ran into a bad o-ring on my #1 injector and it was leaking gas real bad, not to mention the drop in gas pressure
Old 10-11-2006, 04:13 PM
AK Rowdy

I found the leak and it is pretty bad! \The leak is coming from a line up in the frame of my car. Right underneath the driver side door. Any help? How could i possible fix this? This is probably why it smells worse inside my interior.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:26 PM
AK Rowdy

We removed the backseat and see the fuel lines, but the leak is somewhere between that and where we can see it from underneath. Pretty much in the worst spot possible. :/
Old 10-11-2006, 05:18 PM
AK Rowdy

Got her all fixed up. Thanks for all the help!
Old 10-11-2006, 09:44 PM
One teal and One yellow

Good, your car is safer now How did you get her fixed?

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 10-12-2006, 12:57 PM
AK Rowdy

We took out the back seat of the car and were able to pull the fuel line up through the hole in the frame. The leak came from a split in a plastic cover at the end of the steel fuel line and it allowed water, salt, or anything that causes rust to be stuck between the plastic and the line and thus rusting a hole in the line. So we cut the rusted fuel line and replaced it with rubber tubing and the only thing left was to link it back in with the other end of the line. Tightened all the fasteners and were all good