How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-26-2006, 06:57 PM
Tired

Whipped by the Window Cable

Ok… time to vent… I rolled the window down today and heard the dreaded plastic pop sound then a scratching crinkling sound. I had this problem a few years ago with my passenger side and fixed it. Well, not today… The drivers side would not fix. I rewound the window cable several times and it still kept getting bound up. I don’t know what I did wrong. The only thing I can figure out is that the cable was so mangled that it would not wind properly. Wasted 4 ˝ hours of my life. I am going to take it to a mechanic and let him have a whack at it. I think if I worked on it any more I will lose my temper and do something stupid. If I do need a new cable how much is the part. I assume it unscrews from the window lift motor.

1992 LSl (Black Mica)
1965 Mustang G.T. Fastback
1990 Mustang G.T. Convertible
1986 1/2 Nissan 4x4
2004 Vovlo XC70 (wife's)

Wonderful Wife
Wonderful Son
2 Cats

Incredibly blessed!
Old 08-26-2006, 08:07 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I "made" one once with a replacement bicycle brake cable. Worked great for about 4 years before it broke again and turned into a spiderweb

check ebay - used regulators on there are pretty cheap. If the cable is kinked up bad enough your mechanic will struggle with it as much as you did.

The cable has a lead nugget on the end that just slides into the pulley that is on the motor. As far as I have found you can't buy just the cable new. You have to buy the whole regulator assembly.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:02 PM
Tired

thanks

Yeah, I figured if he can't get it to stay I need a new regulator. When I took it out of the door it looks like the assembly unscrews from the motor.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:22 PM
Tired

Found regulator

I went to subaruparts.com and found a regulator for around $76.00. Suprisingly this isn't too bad... On the diagram though it looks like it is the cable, spool, and also the metal track that the window slides on. Is this correct? All I have been taking out is the cable and motor assembly. If it does include the window track is this hard to take out? Thanks

http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...category=601-A
Old 08-27-2006, 07:49 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
yeah it will have the whole track assembly. you can remove the cable and spool and just use that or throw in the whole track. It isn't hard to do either way. When I did mine last time I used the cable, spool, and the part that slides in the track but left the original track in there.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 08-28-2006, 06:39 AM
Tired

One last question...

One last question... Does the dumb little plastic clip come with the new regulator? You know, the one that caused all this trouble in the first place when it broke off the base of the window frame. Thanks again!
Old 08-28-2006, 03:08 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
yes. the whole thing will already be put together and the plastic clip will be in there.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:43 PM
Tired

Thanks

Thanks, just ordered it from 1stsubaruparts.