How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2006, 02:57 PM

Odd Shudder

See, I *never* should have discussed selling the SVX. It's all-out mutiny now.

About a month ago, I started noticing a "shudder" when I pulled away from a stop. It happens at about the 10-15 mph mark. It doesn't happen at any other point, it's not a grinding of any sort, and if I accelerate *very* slowly, it's almost nonexistent. If I accelerate at a moderate or hard clip, it's very noticable. It's more than a vibration - "shudder" is the only way I can describe it.

Now - the tranny shifts *fine,* as it's done since I got the car a year ago. I've had the fuids checked, they're all clean. However...today the shudder coincided with a double "thunking" noise which, while it didn't sound remarkably alarming or ready to break apart, has me seriously worried. The seast of my pants tells me it's coming from the rear, and my brain says "differential"...what say the rest of you

(97 LSI AWD, btw.)
Old 08-07-2006, 03:49 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
transmission mount?
Old 08-07-2006, 06:21 PM

Interesting and cheerfully inexpensive theory - wouldn't it make that same shudder in every gear, though? (It doesn't...only in 1st)
Old 08-07-2006, 06:26 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Most people only notice the mount noise either during the 1-2 shift or when going into gear (D or R).

This would be my first suggestion in diagnosing the issue. Hopefully more people can chime in here with their experiences.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:32 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
I had a vibration under cornering and acceleration at 55mph and it turned out to be a split motor mount we found when pulling the engine this weekend.
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 08-07-2006, 07:44 PM

I have exactly the same problem. It is a tricky problem because there are so many possible causes. What would you look for when trying to decide if the tranny mount it bad? Will it be pretty obvious? I think that is probably a good place to start looking. I'm going to take my car into the shop that did my rebuild and have tranny/diff fluid changed, and see what he thinks might be causing the shudder.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:22 PM

Not the tranny mounts; had them checked out.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:18 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Mabey have a look see at the rear diff. Also check up on play between the driveshaft and rear diff when you rotate the driveshaft by hand. It should engage almost immidiatly.
Could also be a neandertol in your trunk shaking the car whenever you accelerate. My money is on the later theroy
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 08-12-2006, 07:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to ShowNoMercy
My old 93 impreza ls used to do exactly what you said. I work as a mechanic and i drove my boss to pick up a car once and he told me it was the driveshaft bearing on the back of the tranny. My car shuttered real bad. My passenger seatbelt would rattle against the car.
93 Impreza LS
Old 08-14-2006, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowNoMercy
My old 93 impreza ls used to do exactly what you said. I work as a mechanic and i drove my boss to pick up a car once and he told me it was the driveshaft bearing on the back of the tranny. My car shuttered real bad. My passenger seatbelt would rattle against the car.
Interestingly enough, I've kinda started thinking driveshaft as the source of the problem as well - it's started "humming" under deceleration at around 50 mph as well.

I have checked my trunk for Neanderthals; no dice.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:18 AM
Tired

Rumble strip

Mine had done something like this for a long time on thw 1-2 shift - always after the car is warmed up. It sounds and feels like riding over the rumble strip on the highway but not as bad. If I let off the gas during the 1-2 shift it isn't bad. I am interested in what you find out.

1992 LSl (Black Mica)
1965 Mustang G.T. Fastback
1990 Mustang G.T. Convertible
1986 1/2 Nissan 4x4
2004 Vovlo XC70 (wife's)

Wonderful Wife
Wonderful Son
2 Cats

Incredibly blessed!
Old 08-26-2006, 11:52 PM

hey guys, I have seen this problem in dodge vans and alot of GMs and it was cured by a trans flush and the fluid replace with the BG syn fluid. most dealerships use BG products and some trans shops. the BG syn. trans fluid is the ****! I have cured alot of trans problems (everything but slipping) by doing a flush with the BG machine and useing the Syn fluid. It is a bit costly around 200-350 depending on how bad the shop you go to bends you over but is well worth it...you wont have to change the fluid for along time after that....it doesnt break down like normal ATF I think BG has a web site...check it out

tony
Old 08-27-2006, 06:39 PM

Update:

The shuddering has, over the last couple weeks, subsided to the point where it's barely noticable. I have no idea why. The humming noise is still there, though.

This car freaks me out.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:50 PM

UPDATE:

Broken rear driveshaft.

Anyone have an inkling where a brotha can get one cheap?

(or cheaper than the $900 the dealership quoted me before I burst into hysterics?)

ETA it's the U-Joint on the driveshaft itself - which obviously caused an issue with the driveshaft, because I'm an idiot and drove it for so long without getting it diagnosed.

Last edited by The Goat; 01-17-2007 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:57 PM

Ebay had some, keep checking there