How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-30-2002, 04:49 PM
alacrity024

Question What Is Rice?

There has been a lot of discussion recently about "rice" and "riceing out your car." While most of us can look at a car and instantly make a judgement about whether or not it is "rice," the line between what is rice and what is not is often blurred. As someone pointed out not very long ago, a Porsche could by some people's standards be considered rice (whale tail, low-pro, etc.). While virtually everyone here will agree that a stock Porsche is NOT rice, everyone by the same token will likely agree that a Civic or Prelude with aftermarket parts designed to emulate a stock Porsche (wing, lowering springs, etc.) IS rice.

So is Rice just the economy-car emulation of a true sports car? possibly, but not likely. Look at Supra's, 300zx's etc. They're all just as much sports car as the Porsche but unless they're left nearly 100% stock, they are candidates for Ricedom.

There seems to be a very obvious distinction between what is rice and what is not. However towards the middle, the line becomes very blurry. I would like to know other people's thoughts on the matter and invite & encourage all to participate.

-Adam
Old 03-30-2002, 06:04 PM
Doogie

Here is my definition of rice:

If the parts have some sort of function, then it is not rice.

If you put a supra spoiler on a civic, with a "type R" sticker, "NOS" sticker, sponsor stickers, fart pipe, etc, and the civic is not sponsored, is not type R (which no civic in america is), doesn't have nos, and can't go over 80mph because it's not powerful enough. This my friend is rice, not to mention it is slower then ever because of all the heavy body kits and spoilers and crap they put on.
Old 03-30-2002, 06:49 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Evidently, Fuji Heavy Industries do not condone rice on the SVX, given the following which is in the Japanese SVX owners manual!

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Jamsvx/2300.jpg

Regards

Jamsvx

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 03-30-2002, 07:55 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Nice Rice!

Did everyone see this weeks My Classic Car on SPEED? Nick Harneshfeger's "Riced" Eclipse is one beautiful machine. I'll put a pic in my Locker.

As of Autofest '01, the only engine mods he had (besides the intake) were cosmetic, but he was planning a turbo.
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 03-30-2002, 08:00 PM
EverclearAtMSU

last i heard you can get it at a chinese food place
Old 03-30-2002, 08:59 PM
I_Alcyone_I

<If you put a supra spoiler on a civic, with a "type R" sticker, "NOS" sticker, sponsor stickers, fart pipe, etc, and the civic is not sponsored, is not type R (which no civic in america is), doesn't have nos, and can't go over 80mph because it's not powerful enough. This my friend is rice, not to mention it is slower then ever because of all the heavy body kits and spoilers and crap they put on.>

Well said. agree 100%
Old 03-30-2002, 09:50 PM

Rice in the context of how I've heard it used typically meens a cheap, light weight, JAPANEESE economy car or sports coupe, possibly containing after market upgrades that serve the purpose of making the car look "pimped out", regradless of whether the upgrade parts improve performance or not. God, how I hate that "pimped out" expression, but it's use is appropriate here. I don't know how somebody could consider a porsche being ricy, since it's not japaneese and is a true sports car. But civics and accords? Definately. I personally would get offended if I heard the SVX being called a rice rocket. SVX's are not cheap and have some muscle behind them. But when someone puts things on it like a Supra wing that's 20 miles high and awful looking rims, they are adding riciness to a car that isn't supposed to be ricy. I'm not saying this is wrong, but if one is thinking about doing this to his or her vehicle, perhaps a Mitsubishi Eclipse or Honda Civic would be a better choice than the SVX.

Dave
Old 03-30-2002, 10:06 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Oooops!

I just noticed. Nic's Eclipse is not. It's a Talon. It's therefore, not Japanese, but American and definately not rice!
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 03-30-2002, 10:17 PM
EverclearAtMSU

Re: Oooops!

Quote:
Originally posted by wasions
I just noticed. Nic's Eclipse is not. It's a Talon. It's therefore, not Japanese, but American and definately not rice!
just because it is American, it can still be rice! and I have seen some riced out tallons. The tallon is the same thing as an eclipse, well at least 99& of it. Like the jimmy and the blazer. and they make so many aftermarket parts for it. There is this one crazy rice tallon here, it's ugly! and fyi, the svx is faster
Old 03-30-2002, 11:19 PM

Mitsubishi, as well as Eagle is an American car company. One of the points I was trying to make is that rice rockets are tipically, but not necessarily, Japaneese. Eclipse or tallon, its still a rice rocket. And yes, the SVX is faster. I raced one

Last edited by DavieGravy; 03-30-2002 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-31-2002, 07:29 AM
Hater

to rice:
1. get a small slow car
2. add at least $10k in modifications
(be generous with the stereo, wheels and wing)
3. drive obnoxiously, so all can hear the farting noise coming from the oversize coffee-can exhaust pipe
4. don't forget the all-powerful K&N filter!

now you have a car that is still not fast, but gets attention. this is what you really need since your parents didn't give you any.
rant over.

Alan
(tired of being challenged to race by Dodge Neons with stripes)
Old 03-31-2002, 01:42 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamsvx
Evidently, Fuji Heavy Industries do not condone rice on the SVX, given the following which is in the Japanese SVX owners manual!

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Jamsvx/2300.jpg

Regards

Jamsvx
Well, I can't read the Japanese, but the message seems clear enough!
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 03-31-2002, 08:39 PM

Here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saturn.jpg (39.0 KB, 294 views)
Old 03-31-2002, 09:31 PM
EverclearAtMSU

LMAO!!!! that's some funny stuff. I think that the computer and the saturn should race, i've got my money on the computer. According to the logic of RICE a vtech sticker adds 75hp now if it had a R sticker it would get an additional 100hp
Old 03-31-2002, 09:48 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
WHAT IS RICE?

go to www.ricecop.com I think they say it well. Otherwise, look at my locker for riceticket. That is my opinion of rice.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!