Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
Ok here is the website: http://www.usafis.org/_sys/EN/ofc_en...=Ugg_En_122_25

In Lebanon we have three certified American Universities:

AUB: American University of Beirut
NDU: Notre Dame University
LAU: Lebanese American University

I guess those three had their licenses from their bases in USA. Well I learn(ed) your accounting charter (the Lebanese is inverse), and I learn(ed) your way of managing businesses, your economic/finance principles... well everything is purely American! I rarely learned any "Lebanese" law or fact. I dunno but I guess my degree is legit and considered as if I got it from over there , I currently have a GPA of 3.45-3.50 / 4 ...

About the wages and life norms... it is true that USA is not the best place to go work, there is always Qatar/Kuwait/Brazil/Cote d'ivoire.... where anyone can make a lot more than he does in the States... but upon hearing about your Labor rate for the first time, I went !!!

Do you know how much is the minimum wage over here? $225/month !!!!!!!!!!!!
If I am lucky I would touch the $1300/month barrier with all my degrees!!!

One of my everyday chatting friend on this Forum is Pavanbabut. 3 or 4 months ago he was looking desperately for a job, well he eventually found one, I was really happy for him, he is a good fella, he really deserves it. But when I asked him about the salary he was getting over there, i went . It was a number I would dream of in a Gazillion years!!!

So the hell with my country and its depressed economy/politics issues, it's time for me to start looking for a LIFE !
well all things considered, i think we shold tak into consideration the CAL(cost of living adjustment) For instance, in some parts of the coutry(san diago is a good example) it will cost you a $800,000 for a one family home, the same house would bring $250,000 here in madison. You will pay higher property tax in a lrger city as well. All these things must be taken into consideration when weighing weather moving to a new place, and recieving that high wage may infact yield a larger propensity of expenses then staying with your current position.
Id agree, i love it in Wisconsin, i think you would love it here too. I have lived in Iowa(twice), illinois, montana, and if you can handle the cold ere the wisconsin and chicagoland areas the best of where i have lived. You can be an hour or two from the city, wtihout the extreme costs of living, low crime rate, but still plenty of oppertunities.
Best of luck Dan, and if you need any help id be willing to go get information if you are able to find out where you need it from(what dept.).
Old 03-24-2006, 02:04 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phast SVX
well all things considered, i think we shold tak into consideration the CAL(cost of living adjustment) For instance, in some parts of the coutry(san diago is a good example) it will cost you a $800,000 for a one family home, the same house would bring $250,000 here in madison. You will pay higher property tax in a lrger city as well. All these things must be taken into consideration when weighing weather moving to a new place, and recieving that high wage may infact yield a larger propensity of expenses then staying with your current position.
Id agree, i love it in Wisconsin, i think you would love it here too. I have lived in Iowa(twice), illinois, montana, and if you can handle the cold ere the wisconsin and chicagoland areas the best of where i have lived. You can be an hour or two from the city, wtihout the extreme costs of living, low crime rate, but still plenty of oppertunities.
Best of luck Dan, and if you need any help id be willing to go get information if you are able to find out where you need it from(what dept.).
Thanks Phil, of course I will not hesitate to ask you for more info in the future or the good guys/babez ( ) in our forum. I know cost of living differ from a place to another (economics ).

One more thing I noticed, when you said 250K for a home and 800K for another.... well do you all win the lottery over there . Come on man, I am not that rich, can you rephrase those numbers using a "RENTING" criteria

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:09 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
Thanks Phil, of course I will not hesitate to ask you for more info in the future or the good guys/babez ( ) in our forum. I know cost of living differ from a place to another (economics ).

One more thing I noticed, when you said 250K for a home and 800K for another.... well do you all win the lottery over there . Come on man, I am not that rich, can you rephrase those numbers using a "RENTING" criteria
hmm ok
For a 2 bedroom apartment in whitewater its about $650 a month, 500 for a single bedroom efficency
in madison, the same apt in any but the worst side of town will cost you 750 to 800
in chicago, near the downtown area it would cost you un upawrds of a grand for anything even remotely resembling a a place to live in lol, upwards of 1400 would be my best estimate.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:37 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Danny, I wish you luck. It's not going to be easy, man. I have friends who have moved here from other countries. They tell me amazing tales of government beaurocracy at its finest.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-24-2006, 04:09 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Thanks guys, well the most I though of before was just to make a touristic trip to the States, no more. But if I get a good opportunity over there, I mean a work package or something like that, I would do it. I believe that a person gets just one good chance in life, so I don't want to miss any door which opens in front of me...

I guess I will try that lottery out, I am an optimistic guy, maybe my luck will eventually smile for me

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:16 PM

That website may very well be a scam. This one seemed to be one of the most legit looking ones http://www.dvlottery.state.gov/

As for income here vs. there...Its all relative. Everything PhastSVX told you is true for Wisconsin. Say you just moved here and actually make $1300/mo.. $500/month would go to your 1 bedroom apartment. Than you would have to pay utilities on top of that:
$150 - Electric and Gas (can get even more expensive when it’s really cold)
$50 - Cable TV
$60 - Telephone service
This leaves you with only $540 to spend on food and transportation. You might have to use public transportation since it would be hard to afford gas, car insurance plus food on a budget of $540 a month. I did not even mention health care. One visit to the hospital will cost you a minimum of $1000 and can go as high as tens of thousands... Health care is insane here. Unless you have a good job, which provides health Insurance for you, be ready to spend an extra $400/mo for just basic health insurance.

This is what basic survival costs in Wisconsin which is cheap compared to other places like the east coast. In Virginia you can not touch an apartment for under $700 and California...forget about it
Old 03-24-2006, 04:22 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Do yourself a favor...If you chose the east coast somewhere, stay away from NewJersey. We have among the most absurd living costs, and the highest insurance rates. from what I gather Virgina and Maryland are pretty nice as far as genral living expenses and jobs and stuff
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 03-24-2006, 04:26 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
You're better off in Canada
Old 03-24-2006, 04:53 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
You're better off in Canada
Or the warmer option, Australia.
Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:28 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
Or the warmer option, Australia...now with more cyclone
Fixed

Did I mention we have a lot of snow to play in?
Old 03-24-2006, 09:04 PM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
Or the warmer option, Australia.
Harvey.
Hey but that warm days are in December and you freeze in July

Not to mention that whole upside down thing

J/K Steve

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 03-24-2006, 09:13 PM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
I am not sure if this will help but check this link Danny

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/legpermres.htm

Steve

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 03-25-2006, 10:32 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX-FF
Hey but that warm days are in December and you freeze in July

Not to mention that whole upside down thing

J/K Steve
LOL

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 03-25-2006, 11:13 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Hmmm lots of options. Well let me tell you something:

Because of low labor rates here, Lebanese people have been scattered all over the world looking for decent jobs. The primary place was Brazil. That country alone holds more than 13 Million Lebanese alone. The second is Canada, with around 5-7 million. The third is Australia with 2-2.5 million, the fourth is Africa and the last one is USA.
That only leaves 3.5 million Lebanese over here

Well I need to ask about one more thing. Can jobs over there come with package? I mean if a job is in a certain State and you live in another, so they offer you work + accomodation? or I will have to look for a place + car...?

Anyway let me first win this green card and I am sure all of you will help me out with those minor details ( )... you all like me right?

I just don't want to get surprised from the difference of living standards between here and US. If I get that green card, I need to somewhere where I can work with the degrees I have. I need to go for a reason, in other word if someone can procure for me job interviews, I would then go primary for a visit, do job interviews, find a place to stay/transportation, check about the medical stuff... If everything is Ok (find something interesting), I would quit my job here and start my new one in the States. I know I am asking too much, but I am sure you will help me out

P.S: Famous Lebanese people living abroad:

-Mario Zagallo (football player and coach in Brazil), his father was Lebanese from the family Zaccour, converted to Zagallo in Brazil.
-Salma Hayek, famous actress
-Nicolas Hayek, president of Swatch watches
-Carlos Ghosn, president of Nissan-Renault, he was the one who saved Nissan from bankruptcy in 1999
-George Chalhoub, famous Actor
-Shakira, famous singer/sexAy dancer
-Danny Eid, Fiberglass Wizard

Old 03-25-2006, 11:43 PM
Hater

you don't need a green card - they are protesting right now in California about a new bill that would make *illegal* immigrants...... illegal! the nerve of our government!!!!

(and stay the hell out of Wisconsin .... you'll freeze your ass off!)

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)