How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-21-2002, 04:29 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
Happy SPRING ... SNOW!!!!!

Wow. March 20th. First day of Spring brings one of the best snowfalls of the year here. It started snowing around 2pm. I leave work at 4pm and I had an inch on my car. I couldn't brush it off fast enough! Back home (42 miles southwest) there was 4" and it was coming down like gang-busters!

Highway roads were ok, snowy but plenty drivable, till I got back home. Then it was 4 inches of icy slush on the side roads to home. I live at the top of a 2 mile steep uphill. I followed three 4X4 trucks as they slowly made their way up. As they pealed off for their driveways, they where ALL looking at the awsome looking sports car climbing on their butts! One of the trucks actually got stuck at the bottom of the hill (the steepest part) so I simply drove around him. He must have been only 4X2.

I love this car.

I know...I know.. I'm speaking to the chorus.

Today, sunny, high forecast of 50F then back to teens tonight! What the ......
Old 03-21-2002, 07:48 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Yeah, if the road crews elect to use salt for today's snow, it'll probably be a few weeks until I have the SVX out again.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-21-2002, 08:09 AM
alacrity024

y'know.. my thoughts exactly

I went to work at 10 o'clock yesterday morning and everything was sunny and dry. By the time I got out of work at 10pm, some 12 hours later, everything had been magically blanketed with some six inches of snow. Spectacular. So I fired up the car and went to visit a nearby friend.

He and I went parking lot-hopping for an hour or two until they started to plow the lots, then I headed home. The drive home was absolutely fine. There was more slush on the road than snow, but in some brief 2-lane sections, I pulled the car into the less-travelled lane to get a taste of how my new tires handle the snow.

Well I remember some time ago there was a relatively heated discussion reguarding some people's car's tendancy to drift back and forth on a snow-covered road. Mine had done the same all winter and it was very frustrating and also very dangerous. Well I think I figured out what the problem was: none of these people had brand-new Yokohama AVS dB's mounted on their wheels.

The car handled absolutely flawlessly on the snow and when I finally got close to home, I got a real chance to see how well they gripped. Like Jeff, I live on top of a large, steep, unplowed hill. I'm about 3/4 of a mile up. I came onto the hill in second gear and really had no problem. When I stomped the gas, she started wavering back and forth a bit as the tires started spinning but so long as I didn't put too much pressure on the loud pedal, she gripped fine and I as home in no time.

These are some f***ing unbelieveable cars we've got...

-Adam

Last edited by alacrity024; 03-21-2002 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-21-2002, 09:15 AM
sith

Glad to hear the Yoko's do ok in the snow. I just had a set mounted on tuesday, absolutely love them. On asphalt highway at like 65mph, all I hear is the exhaust note and the wind. Great tires, so very happy with them...
Old 03-21-2002, 11:14 AM
alacrity024

they hold on real good in the corners, too..

I have yet to find their limit on dry tar.. I've gotten them to whistle just a little bit around some turns, but i still haven't made 'em scream. They do surprisingly well on slush/ice turns, too.. like on an on-ramp coming onto the highway at 2 in the morning when it's been snowing and there's a quarter-inch layer of frozen slush on the road.. you can feel the rear end start to get a little squirrely, but they really keep the car pointed in the proper direction with no problem..

-a
Old 03-21-2002, 11:53 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
I have yet to find their limit on dry tar.. I've gotten them to whistle just a little bit around some turns, but i still haven't made 'em scream.
Well they are supposed to be quiet tires
Old 03-21-2002, 01:13 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Quote:
Originally posted by alacrity024
y'know.. my thoughts exactly

12 hours later, everything had been magically blanketed with some six inches of snow. Spectacular. So I fired up the car and went to visit a nearby friend.

-Adam
Q: Are we the only Sports/GT drivers to react to nasty weather this way?

A: Yes! And I just love it !

Oh sure. Some other folks like to get out and play in it - but we're the only ones who look so darn out of place!
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 03-21-2002, 01:14 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by wasions
- but we're the only ones who look so darn out of place!
Perhaps, one day, I'll know how it feels.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI