Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 03-08-2006, 05:50 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Perhaps my statement was misunderstood. First, I was pointing out a solution for a UK spec SVX - Can a UK SVX accept solid rotors in the rear? Second, A solution for US spec SVX - Can US spec SVX accept a vented rotor? Some caliapers have the capacity to handle both both solid or vented rotors. Are the part #'s for the caliapers UK & US the same? Will UK caliapers fit US? About the front fitting the rear, that was a stupid question. I forgot about the pads being a totally different size. Since you mentioned the stopping power issue though, I think the proportioning valve would balance any of that out. I don't think 50-50 is achievable with it.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 03-08-2006, 08:03 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsPeteReally
I'm not so sure

There are two components to the dipped beam solution. The first component is the dual filament bulb. When the dipped beam filament is on, the filament is higher than the true focal point of the reflector; throwing the beam generally downwards.

The second component is the ribbing whithin the headlamp glass itself, this acts as a fresnel lens which also directs and focusses the beam. The British readers of the forum will certainly recall the continental touring kit stickies (a bit like an eye-patch) that were stuck over the ribbed portion of the headlight assembly in an attempt to stop everybody on the other side of the English Channel madly flashing at you. Now the fashion appears to be to stick a secondary ribbed lens over the entire lamp housing.

Whilst it might be possible to get somewhere by twisting the bulb itself, I fear that such a solution may prove to be very sub-optimal.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17062
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 03-08-2006, 09:57 AM

Interesting thread.

But I'm still a doubting Thomas

If one headlight design is suitable for all markets, then why are there at least two different assemblies?

The first law of production engineering centres around reducing the number of variant parts. If any nation on earth could be said to be the leader in production engineering then it would have to be Japan, it seems to me that if one headlight design fits all nations, then there would only be one design.

I've just not got my gullible head on today
Old 03-09-2006, 05:19 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Fiat lux

Pete

In reality there are two very different headlight designs.

The clever part, that fits all markets with internal adjustment, is the outer dip lamp.

The JDM and USA market got the cheaper plastic lens headlamp. I'm presuming it was a marketing call, as the SVX would have been a more affordable car in these markets, and there were certain cost savers employed for those mass markets in what was certainly an expensive car to produce.

This JDM style lamp had the benefit of being lighter, and also had a fog light built in on the inner side, which the UK and Eur glass fronted variant did not have [and which the Canadian variant uses as "daytime running lights" a la Volvo].

In the English style one, the inner "lamp" contains only a silvered reflector. In contrast, of course, the English and continental ones has a motor built in that varies the dip depending on load. No Japanese or American car ever got this type.

In another thread, I have speculated that the loss of the inner fog lamp for the Euro glass lamps may have been because the engineers used the power wire for the fog light to operate the dipper motor. Sounds penny pinching, but maybe that's how it was. We may never know.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsPeteReally
Interesting thread.

But I'm still a doubting Thomas

If one headlight design is suitable for all markets, then why are there at least two different assemblies?

The first law of production engineering centres around reducing the number of variant parts. If any nation on earth could be said to be the leader in production engineering then it would have to be Japan, it seems to me that if one headlight design fits all nations, then there would only be one design.

I've just not got my gullible head on today
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 03-09-2006, 05:23 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Michael, I don't know if anyone has the answer to these questions.

Even if the part numbers were different, the calipers might still bolt up. Nobody has ever done it over here, the main reason being that solid rear rotors are a retrograde step, and as you know, braking capability on the SVX is marginal for spirited driving.

Can any of you UK guys find the part # of the UK rear caliper, so Michael can chase down this answer?

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael
Perhaps my statement was misunderstood. First, I was pointing out a solution for a UK spec SVX - Can a UK SVX accept solid rotors in the rear? Second, A solution for US spec SVX - Can US spec SVX accept a vented rotor? Some caliapers have the capacity to handle both both solid or vented rotors. Are the part #'s for the caliapers UK & US the same? Will UK caliapers fit US? About the front fitting the rear, that was a stupid question. I forgot about the pads being a totally different size. Since you mentioned the stopping power issue though, I think the proportioning valve would balance any of that out. I don't think 50-50 is achievable with it.
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 03-09-2006, 05:58 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist
Michael, I don't know if anyone has the answer to these questions.

Can any of you UK guys find the part # of the UK rear caliper, so Michael can chase down this answer?

Joe
UK/Euro Part numbers and schematics can be got from the Subaru FAST software that Petr posted here a while back. I'm planning to set up a Win95 box in my garage for precisely this purpose, but it's not ready yet.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 03-10-2006, 03:35 AM

Registered SVX
part no's

The part no's for the rear brake calipers appear to be the same according to my Subaru-Fast 2 parts CD:

rear right 26692
rear left 26692a

It lists 5 variants and is the same for all.....

Hope this helps

John.

P.s dont want to go off on a tangent, but, following up on a thread on insurance around Dec 05.....just got my new quote.......

£208.50 fully comp, cheap just got cheaper!!

Last edited by blueji; 03-10-2006 at 03:39 AM.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:31 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Is there a way to check if the pads are the same? I think I'm going to try fitting the euro rotors on the rear if the caliapers are the same. I think the us pads may be thicker to compensate for the thinner rotor. I hope the hats are the same size?

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 03-10-2006, 07:19 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueji
The part no's for the rear brake calipers appear to be the same according to my Subaru-Fast 2 parts CD:

rear right 26692
rear left 26692a

It lists 5 variants and is the same for all.....

Hope this helps

John.

P.s dont want to go off on a tangent, but, following up on a thread on insurance around Dec 05.....just got my new quote.......

£208.50 fully comp, cheap just got cheaper!!
When you say 5 variants, does that include the USA models? subaruparts.com gives the part number as 26220 for "Disc Brake Assembly Rear". From the diagram, this seems to be the complete caliper. Or am I looking at the wrong part?

Nice deal on that insurance. I'll definitely check that out next time I need a quote.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 03-10-2006, 11:44 AM

Registered SVX
re-check

My apologies, 4 variants listed not 5.....thats what you get trying to 'play' at work....loss of concentration

Here we go,

listed on screen as:

LH LHD
RH RHD
SO LHD
AO RHD

All these codes (not sure what they relate to but no doubt someone will tell me) come up with the same no.

With regards to part no's from the states, I bought tie rod ends from Bimcad in the states, who trades mostly on Ebay, and the guy in the parts dept at my local Subaru dealership cross ref'd the no's..... both different...same part.
He also quoted me for strut top bearings, again different no's identical part,
sometime's you've just got to go for it.

B.T.W Insurance now purchased at £208.45 from More Than......yeeeeehaaaa

Last edited by blueji; 03-10-2006 at 01:26 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: