Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2006, 11:37 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Welcome Pete

We are all jealous at your getting a lovely car so cheap!!

OK! OK!, now, we are going to tell you the truth, tell you all about the problems..........

Nah!, just kidding

Manual change from 3 to 2? We don't do that around here .

Seriously though, it could be the brake band, maybe not. Check out that it is changing up in full auto without any "flaring" or revving up between changes. This will tell if it is slipping, or if the band needs tightening.

On the other hand, if you let it change up in full auto, and it jerks into the next gear, this can mean that the band is too tight.

Personally, I think 2nd gear is very low, and I would rarely change manually down into it, without feeding a little throttle. It's best to let the box do most of the decision making, or you could be storing up trouble later, but if you're used to a manual and changing your own gears, I know where you are coming from.

I have a Legacy twin turbo myself, but I'll be selling it when the SVX is ready for the road.

Congratulations Pete, you will enjoy your purchase.

Joe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsPeteReally
Thank you that was most encouraging.
It's time to de-lurk and reveal that I bought it!

It's going to take a while to go through all the service history and give ALL its important little places the once over, but it appears to be essentially unmolested and I intend to keep it that way.

The only little niggle I have found so far is that a making a manual change from 3-2 is a little violent (I hope that it's just a brake-band adjustment???).

This is not my first Subie (I had a Legacy before) but I'm sure that I'll be asking for help and advice at some time in the near future.

For those that missed out on bidding on this one, and are still looking for an SVX - be patient, it might be your turn next.
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-15-2006, 02:09 PM

Send a message via MSN to Maineman1963
Nice one , hope it works out for you. Enjoy the SVX experience as you are finding out there is nothing quite like it ! Cheer, David
Old 02-16-2006, 06:22 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Sounds like it is falling apart - I'll pay you what you bought it!

Seriously, congratulations - I am sure that you will love the car.

Best wishes

James

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 02-17-2006, 01:34 PM

I am almost sure that it's just me being hypercritical - I hope.

Certainly, a bit of throttle slurs the 3-2 manual change nicely. There is none of this "flaring" of which you speak in automatic upshifts either.

It seems that it ain't broke, so I won't try to fix it

Driving it does seem a trifle disconcerting to the newcomer, as there is little or no relationship between road speed and engine revs. It's a bit like driving a DAF Variomatic!

Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely car, and I already love it to bits, but there are a few things that Fuji got fundamentally wrong in the ergonomics department.

Pedal height discrepancies and the impaired sightlines to dashboard warnings spring immediately to mind - but the fact that I cite these petty niggles show that there was such a lot that they got right.

It's hard to know just where this vehicle fitted in the 1990s car market, it isn't a sportscar, or a luxury cruiser either, but it should have given the Jaguar XJS a more than serious run for it's money. The fact that it didn't is more the fault of Fuji's sales and marketing abilities at the time than any deficiencies in the car..

Keep a space for me at Peterborough!
Old 02-17-2006, 01:48 PM

Send a message via MSN to Maineman1963
Pete welcome to the rarified environment that is SVX ownership especially here in the UK. Understand what you mean as the SVX is a strange breed but for me the driving position etc is excellent. Not sure who in their right minds would have paid £32k new for what was an unknown brand at that time and was only just becoming known when mine was first registered in 95. Having had 5 Imprezas I hit on the SVX by chance and it was love at first sight. Took a while to find a good one. There is nothing quite like it and even 11 yrs on it drives like new, no rattles , the only way I can tell it is idling is the rev counter ! Mine is also black and is due to have it's wheels replaced as these peel and corrode. See ya , David
PS If you are ever near j15/16 of the M6 let us know.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:28 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Through a scanner darkly

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
Any chance of a scan?
I got a scanner. The scan size is large, but very readable. I was thinking of sending it to you in a zip file. It is scanned to pdf, they are a better job for reading text.

I'm presuming a computer whizz kid like you [See?? I totally avoided using the word geek ] has Adobe Reader and Zip.

Please PM me an email address.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl