IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2005, 01:35 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
Another ugly rally car

Hatch/mini SUV/ whatever you like to call it.

This along with the Patriot is what this now to some schizophrenic car company subsidiary has to offer. And quite frankly, I like it.

I don't know, people like the Patriot because it looks like a smaller version of the origonal Cherokee with modern cues, but slam the Compass for being too ricy or not Jeep enough. To me the Compass is like what AMC would have built if they were still around, sort of like a fundimental cross between the Pacer and Eagle SX/4 but with 4 doors. A sporty yet more than a bit compromisingly practical car that has some rally yet also off-roading cues in a automobile that can probably can't scale moutains stock, but can still go through several feet of mud and can seat 5, I think.

Sure it underpinnings are based on the Caliber but if the claims from Jeep that they re-engineered the chassis to be more rigid along with, sporty suspention and the option of a CVT or 6 speed powering their new Quadritrac based AWD system are true the Jeep Compass is capable of being yet can still offer its own uniqueness to a market the currently only has two.

I would be surprised that you are a member of this forum if you didn't know what at least one of those rally inspired or should I say directly based cars are.

Compass Rallye:

Patriot:

Larger pics of those and more can be found here.

I just hope the Compass comes with a stardard and even optional turbocharged/supercharged 2.4l 4 cylinder or the classic straight 6. And perhaps they can place them in amateur rallies and perhaps even reprisent DCB, or DCX if you dislike the German factor, in the WRC.

I actually saw non-edited pics of a person standing next to the Compass, and it is actually the size of the Matrix but even lower. I will post the pic as soon as I can find it again.

So do you think Jeep new direction is even that new or are they emulating Subaru, and either way do ou like it?

Sorry for the lack of posted pics, I'm trust trying to make this topic more 56k friendly. Post larger pics at your own disgression.

Last edited by Weebitob; 10-30-2005 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:47 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
That compass is really good looking, I like it. The front is definitely JEEP, but the sides are somehow Trail Blazer short wheelbase. As for the upper rear glass, 100% Nissan Murano!!

PS: the way the rear door handle opens is like Alfa Romeos rear handles..

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:54 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
That compass is really good looking, I like it. The front is definitely JEEP, but the sides are somehow Trail Blazer short wheelbase. As for the upper rear glass, 100% Nissan Murano!!

PS: the way the rear door handle opens is like Alfa Romeos rear handles..
Wow, thats the first time I heard someone compare the rear door to something other than the Murano. Did Nissan copy those from Alfa Romeo?

I guess so far there are two people on the forum that actually like the Jeep Compass.

Last edited by Weebitob; 10-30-2005 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:15 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Registered SVX
I forgot to mention about the Jeep Patriot which will be based on the same platform but be a bit larger as well as having suspention and strut tweaks which will make it more pff roading capable, which woud give it a "Trail Rated" certifacation, which unsurprisingly Jeep says the Compass Rallye probably won't.

It is also rumored that to do this the Patriot AWD system will tweaked so it is more able to rock crawl.

In fact, I am still wondering if this new AWD system will even be remotely based on the Quadritrac.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:33 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Registered SVX
I finally found the pic.

As you can see, the Jeep Compass might be about the size of a Pontiac Vibe, but it sits lower as well as having a less rounded roofline. The Patriot seems to be sit about as high as the Subaru Forester, coincidence?

Btw, here is a closeup of the Compass Rallye as well as a pic and article on the Patriot.

So now do you think that theory of Jeep starting to take from Subaru is true?
Old 10-30-2005, 03:37 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Cough!!! Maybe this is what AMC would be making today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SVX race car 109.jpg (78.9 KB, 162 views)
Old 10-30-2005, 03:55 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Registered SVX
Do you mean the SVX or the Ford Escape behind the trees?

Btw, I always thought of Subaru or as a modern equivalent AMC, ecspecially now since AMC has gone out of business and since the Eagle line was phased out. Thats why when I see these new Jeeps that are starting to get some influence from Subaru, I think AMC too.

So in other with the quite evidently high gas prices, Daimler Chrysler Benz finally starting to see what else was good about AMC aside from Jeep. In other words I see this as a return of AMC, or at least their ideas or corporate philosophy, with DCB parts.

And I suppose you can see some of the influence with Subaru.

Last edited by Weebitob; 10-30-2005 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebitob

Btw, I always thought of Subaru or as a modern equivalent AMC, ecspecially now since AMC has gone out of business and since the Eagle line was phased out. Thats why when I see these new Jeeps that are starting to get some influence from Subaru, I think AMC too.
Modern equivalent? Didn't Subaru beat AMC to the punch with a 4wd car by quite a few years? Then again it was a uni-body rather than a BOF so in that sense modern might be right. I have a friend who collects old AMCs like flys. I think he has 12 or so of them now all in running condition and in the process of being restored. Biggest problem he says is finding replacement plastic valve covers. Reason enough to me as to why they went belly up.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:34 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Modern equivalent? Didn't Subaru beat AMC to the punch with a 4wd car by quite a few years? Then again it was a uni-body rather than a BOF so in that sense modern might be right. I have a friend who collects old AMCs like flys. I think he has 12 or so of them now all in running condition and in the process of being restored. Biggest problem he says is finding replacement plastic valve covers. Reason enough to me as to why they went belly up.
True I was bouncing around that thought in my head while typing that. I guess I mean that today's Subaru is as close to a modern AMC as you can get.

And come you can also say AMC and Subaru are two of a kind when it came to automotive companies. They even both share military lineage, on oposing sides in fact.

Even though, now I think these two new models are showing signs of ushering in more AMCesque automobiles for Jeep and even Chrysler's other susidiaries. But as long as they are fully a part of DCB, they won't be AMC.

Howver, it would be cool to see the Jeep Compass Rallye compete in the WRC, so just to think of the aspect of the patriotic blood boiling on both sides considering what I stated a paragraph above.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:39 PM
Hater

Quote:
And I suppose you can see some of the influence with Subaru.
the Pacer has inspired many great cars.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 10-30-2005, 06:13 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Registered SVX
Well, with the Pacer being one of the first cars made with a rear canopy made from curved glass which as well, side and even a curved front window as well as front disc brakes it better be credited with inspiring many cars.

I'm not quite sure if the new Jeep would ever turn out aspiring designs and innovational features like that in the future, but they can surprise us.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:21 AM
no limitation as limitation

is it me or does the patriot look like a jeeped out forester.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:30 AM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewmongan
is it me or does the patriot look like a jeeped out forester.
Exactly, so now are you starting to think that Chrysler or actually Jeep themselves are intent on more directly competing against Subaru, as well as being priced against Scion or Hyundai?
Old 10-31-2005, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Exactly, so now are you starting to think that Chrysler or actually Jeep themselves are intent on more directly competing against Subaru, as well as being priced against Scion or Hyundai?
Ah, no one will by it unless it has that Ford owned, Jag designed hemi in it!!!
Old 10-31-2005, 06:30 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Ah, no one will by it unless it has that Ford owned, Jag designed hemi in it!!!
As if its not a worldly designed car already with being based on a Dodge platform which its base started out in Mercedes, Nissan tranny, an engine designed by DCB, Mitsubishi and Hyundai. Now all we need is a Chery made timung belt and Lada or Yugoslavian designed alternator.

But seriously Jaguar did design engines with hemi heads, we they really good or well known for that?

Also, the engine was asisted by Mitsubishi in which their own iteration will be going into the EVO X. Also, about the issue of same root engine cars in the WRC, Peugeot and Citroen do but they can't be anymore different in driving characteristics.

Btw, it would be good to see another auto company's car compete in the WRC. And DCB are currently about the only other auto company aside from Toyota with some cash to burn and that are not owned by anyone. And having a brand with off-roading heritage to begin with such as Jeep would be a perfrect canidate for at times off-road racing.

I wonder if the Compass Rallye's AWD system will be a modernized equivalent to the Quadritrac or one that has more in common with the Pulsar GTiR?

Last edited by Weebitob; 10-31-2005 at 06:35 PM.